Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done ICELAND

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My. Mexico where lucky last night with the US getting them out of a pickle.
Yes. They will now qualify by beating NZ. Probably the LEAST deserving qualifier we will ever see.

I do dislike the Mexican national team.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
So who are in the play-offs?

France
Croatia
Sweden
Portugal
Ukraine
Iceland
Romania
Greece

I'm guessing the top four will be the seeds. I think that lot are relatively evenly matched though, so I wouldn't bet on them all getting through.

Also, well done to BOSNIA who are going to their first tournament.

And Herzogovnia! I would fancy Ukraine against any of the top 4 except maybe Portugal

Oct 25, 2003
I really want Iceland to make it. By all accounts they have a fairly young, exciting team alongside nordic LEGENDS like big Eidur. Sweden also MUST make it....a tournament without ZLATAN isn't worth playing....Portugal also need to be there for Ronaldo (it's always better when there's as many of the top players as possible), although is it me or do Portugal seem to be fairly shit despite having some decent players alongside one of the best attackers EVER? Not fussed about the likes of Ukraine and Greece (especially the eternal Greek snooze fest), and it's always funny watching the French go mental at each other....they do it with such STYLE

Oct 25, 2003
Yes. They will now qualify by beating NZ. Probably the LEAST deserving qualifier we will ever see.

north american qualifying is ridiculous isn't it? The fact that a team like Costa Rica can absolutely stroll into the World Cup speaks volumes

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria

Seems a tad unfair on OCEANIA that they have no automatic qualifier - surely Mexico deserve to be mercy-killed after being so poor throughout qualification. I'm going large on the Kiwis making it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
..And according to the news yesterday one in ten of the population have had a book published. Probably because there is bu**er all else to do there.

Clearly you've never been to Iceland. It's a fantastic country, one of my favourites out of all the places I've visited. There's loads to do. It has a population roughly the same as Bristol (though happily, Icelanders don't have such stupid accents), which rather emphasises the scale of what they've just done.

I have a feeling they'll probably fall just short, as my gut instinct tells me that the bent old *******s at FIFA will be rather too keen to ensure Ronaldo's presence at the World Cup, and will thus pair them with Portugal. But nonetheless: finishing second in their group is still the greatest achievement in their footballing history and bodes well for the future.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Clearly you've never been to Iceland. It's a fantastic country, one of my favourites out of all the places I've visited. There's loads to do. It has a population roughly the same as Bristol (though happily, Icelanders don't have such stupid accents), which rather emphasises the scale of what they've just done.

I have a feeling they'll probably fall just short, as my gut instinct tells me that the bent old *******s at FIFA will be rather too keen to ensure Ronaldo's presence at the World Cup, and will thus pair them with Portugal. But nonetheless: finishing second in their group is still the greatest achievement in their footballing history and bodes well for the future.

Mum's been to Iceland.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
They've hardly set their group alight! Chile. Maybe they're red hot.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Ecuador have qualified as well - have they been to the finals before?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Yes. I have a feeling they were in England's group?

Just checked it and you are partly right :thumbsup: :) They have qualified in 2002 & 2006 but weren't in England's group in either. We did beat them in the Round of 16 in 2006 though :D :D

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
France are making an official complaint to FIFA about their seeding or lack of. I've no idea how it works, but their argument is that as they were in a group of 5 rather than 6, they've played less 'proper' matches than other countries and their ranking has suffered as a consequence. I really do hope they get Portugal.

France can do one. I would love them not to qualify.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
3,000 Icelanders were in Oslo last night for that one - that's 1% of the population.

Have we ever taken 450,000 away? :jester:

Not sure but are we the most populous travellers in the world game? And were the 18,000 Poles at Wembley the biggest away crowd we've ever seen?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Seems a tad unfair on OCEANIA that they have no automatic qualifier - surely Mexico deserve to be mercy-killed after being so poor throughout qualification. I'm going large on the Kiwis making it.
Oceania is a STUPID federation. It should be part of Asia, an extra WC place given to them, and that half place removed from CONCACAF.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Oceania is a STUPID federation. It should be part of Asia, an extra WC place given to them, and that half place removed from CONCACAF.
Australia is part of the Asian group nowadays isn't it? I guess FIFA don't think the potential crowd draw would be that much. To be fair, I think I agree with you on this one :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here