Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Welcoming refugees. Well done Brits!

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Shame this poor chap from Iraq wasn't made to feel welcome :down:

Terrifying moment Iraqi immigrant, 28, stabbed university student, 18, in broad daylight attack in bid to be deported from UK​

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Shame this poor chap from Iraq wasn't made to feel welcome :down:

Terrifying moment Iraqi immigrant, 28, stabbed university student, 18, in broad daylight attack in bid to be deported from UK​

Horrific. If I may, what has this got to do with this thread?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
E532FD3F-E726-4754-80D4-6789443C7848.jpeg

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Horrific. If I may, what has this got to do with this thread?
From what I can gather the reason the chap from Iraq was here claiming asylum in the UK was because he considered it too dangerous for him to be in his country of birth .
Therefor he had no alternative but to risk his life traveling across many international borders and then finally the extremely hazardous English channel in a rubber dingy that was not really suitable for the trip but was the only option available .

Despite being "safe" now in the UK though , it seems he was desperate to return home .

Does that mean that since being here either has not been made to feel sufficiently welcome or is it that Iraq is really not that bad after all .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
From what I can gather the reason the chap from Iraq was here claiming asylum in the UK was because he considered it too dangerous for him to be in his country of birth .
Therefor he had no alternative but to risk his life traveling across many international borders and then finally the extremely hazardous English channel in a rubber dingy that was not really suitable for the trip but was the only option available .

Despite being "safe" now in the UK though , it seems he was desperate to return home .

Does that mean that since being here either has not been made to feel sufficiently welcome or is it that Iraq is really not that bad after all .
Oh I see. You have misunderstood. This is a thread of positive stories about Brits welcoming asylum seekers and refugees and the good things immigrants do for Britain.

What you’ve done is mistake it for a thread where bigots and racists come on and whinge about criminals and bad things people have done.

Easily done. These bigots and racists see the words “refugee” or “migrant” and immediately think negative things. That’s not this thread .

I hope that clears everything up for you 👍

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

So what you're saying is, we should process these people's claims, and if approved allow them to get on with their life and find work? For once I agree with you.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
So what you're saying is, we should process these people's claims, and if approved allow them to get on with their life and find work? For once I agree with you.
S/he's not saying anything. There's just a drip, drip effect of numerous articles and comments with negative connotations about 'johnny foreigner'. S/he seems to be saying it's up to the rest of us to draw the same conclusions that are already embedded (and immoveable) in her/his world view...... but some of us have had a wider experience of life than that....

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

The least the government could do is provide funds for some entertainment in the hotels . Bingo sessions , karaoke
nights , scavenger hunts around the locality , anything to stimulate the mind really just to alleviate the boredom while their claims are being processed and might also make these folk feel more welcome here .

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
The least the government could do is provide funds for some entertainment in the hotels . Bingo sessions , karaoke
nights , scavenger hunts around the locality , anything to stimulate the mind really just to alleviate the boredom while their claims are being processed and might also make these folk feel more welcome here .
Nice to see you having a bit of a laugh about the silly issue. Not important is it? I remember you confessing that you don't understand a lot of things. Have you been getting any help with this disability?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Oh, a ha ha ha. You are a wit. I know it's pointless arguing with an absolutely committed bigot like yourself, but 8 years stuck in a hotel room, unable to work and get on with your life. Might be safer than where he was, but it's no life. Anyone can see that.

Perhaps he should find a fulfilling hobby like yourself? He could scour the internet for stories of white folk doing bad things, and then post them on message boards.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Well I could be wrong about this and would be happy to be corrected if so but I am assuming the reason that the Government are accommodating "refugees" in hotel rooms is because there is a shortage of available housing . Is that possible ?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Well I could be wrong about this and would be happy to be corrected if so but I am assuming the reason that the Government are accommodating "refugees" in hotel rooms is because there is a shortage of available housing . Is that possible ?

Asylum seekers are in hotels. Not recognised refugees.

If they are granted refugee status, doesn’t housing them not become responsibility of local authority, rather than Home Office?

But yes, no alternatives has resulted in hotel use I would imagine.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I suspect the lack of support among the public is because an intrinsic part of the Rwanda plan is to do nothing about people crossing the channel, do nothing about individuals attempting and often succeeding in arriving in the UK and disappearing into the black economy, do nothing about the increasing backlog of people being housed in disused military premises and indeed, still, in hotels, but instead take a tiny proportion of those who have arrived and been caught (possibly foolishly attempting to go through what they imagine are legal channels to obtain refugee status), and ritually humiliating them by deporting them to Rwanda.

People are wondering whether, instead, a government might consider doing something, even if it is simply looking like they give a tiny shit, about people attempting to smuggle themselves into the UK.

People are also beginning to wonder, I suspect, whether the insane increase in channel crossings that has occurred since Johnson became PM may have something to do with tory policy. Or tory incompetence. Which is increasingly appearing to amount to the same thing.

Still @carlzeiss will be along soon to explain to those of you who don't have him on ignore what it is really all about, why the Rwanda policy is right (and indeed almost universally popular, except obviously not on far left TV programmes like the one Bruce compares) and how the numbers of crossings we think we have seen increase is in fact a decrease in real terms and a testament to how successful the British economy and liberality, nurtured by successive excellent conservative governments, is the reason why so many people are willing to uproot themselves from perfectly safe countries and risk everything to have a chance to enjoy a tiny slice of our world-beating British lifestyle.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I suspect the lack of support among the public is because an intrinsic part of the Rwanda plan is to do nothing about people crossing the channel, do nothing about individuals attempting and often succeeding in arriving in the UK and disappearing into the black economy, do nothing about the increasing backlog of people being housed in disused military premises and indeed, still, in hotels, but instead take a tiny proportion of those who have arrived and been caught (possibly foolishly attempting to go through what they imagine are legal channels to obtain refugee status), and ritually humiliating them by deporting them to Rwanda.

People are wondering whether, instead, a government might consider doing something, even if it is simply looking like they give a tiny shit, about people attempting to smuggle themselves into the UK.

People are also beginning to wonder, I suspect, whether the insane increase in channel crossings that has occurred since Johnson became PM may have something to do with tory policy. Or tory incompetence. Which is increasingly appearing to amount to the same thing.

Still @carlzeiss will be along soon to explain to those of you who don't have him on ignore what it is really all about, why the Rwanda policy is right (and indeed almost universally popular, except obviously not on far left TV programmes like the one Bruce compares) and how the numbers of crossings we think we have seen increase is in fact a decrease in real terms and a testament to how successful the British economy and liberality, nurtured by successive excellent conservative governments, is the reason why so many people are willing to uproot themselves from perfectly safe countries and risk everything to have a chance to enjoy a tiny slice of our world-beating British lifestyle.
Carlzeiss says nothing; s/he just drops poisonous, emotive extracts about migrants; the intention seems to be like Trump's -

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here