Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Welcoming refugees. Well done Brits!

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I love the bit where when questioned as to why they are not stopping the people entering the water the 8 or 9 French Police watching from the sidelines cite the fact that they are outnumbered…..

Yet on arrival apparently 5-10 British Police are able to deal, contain and move the people onwards for processing

Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

... and so what point are you making?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
OK, I'll bite. I don't think it's anything to do with being antagonistic - more the French doing what they often do which is push a problem to someone else - and I say that as someone that loves France, the French and has a home there.

The deaths are awful BUT avoidable - if people stayed in France ( or the first EU country they got to ) they could make a decent life for themselves. France is a highly developed country with a very good welfare state so why risk your life getting into a inflatable boat that probably wouldn't survive in Hove Lagoon ?

That's not to say I don't have any sympathy but there are two sorts of migrant - economic and asylum. Asylum seekers should claim asylum in the first 'safe' country they get to ( and that is international law ). I think the UN should then divide them up, and I mean the numbers not families, and 'safe' countries should have to take their share based on population size, language spoken and economic status. Asylum seekers shouldn't get a choice. Economic migrants should be sent back to where they came from.

Some good points. But has been posted here by me and others, the figures support the fact that most do settle in the first safe country they arrive in. It’s a myth that many try to go on to the U.K.

Having said that, I can see why people think all migrants are focused on getting to the U.K.
However, that’s simply not the case.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
... and so what point are you making?

I thought that was pretty obvious but let’s go Janet & John.

The point I’m making is the French Police watch these poor people wade into the water risking their lives and do nothing because they say they are outnumbered, yet on arrival to UK the same if not less personnel are able to manage these people perfectly well and get them to comply.

Remember many could quite literally do a runner once ashore but I haven’t heard any stories of this!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
OK, I'll bite. I don't think it's anything to do with being antagonistic - more the French doing what they often do which is push a problem to someone else - and I say that as someone that loves France, the French and has a home there.

The deaths are awful BUT avoidable - if people stayed in France ( or the first EU country they got to ) they could make a decent life for themselves. France is a highly developed country with a very good welfare state so why risk your life getting into a inflatable boat that probably wouldn't survive in Hove Lagoon ?

That's not to say I don't have any sympathy but there are two sorts of migrant - economic and asylum. Asylum seekers should claim asylum in the first 'safe' country they get to ( and that is international law ). I think the UN should then divide them up, and I mean the numbers not families, and 'safe' countries should have to take their share based on population size, language spoken and economic status. Asylum seekers shouldn't get a choice. Economic migrants should be sent back to where they came from.

You need to go to the United Nations and tell them their convention of 1951, as signed by Winston Churchill as Prime Minister of Britain, and tell them, they've got it wrong.
It quite clearly states refugees and asylum seekers can choose where they seek for asylum.

This government has closed down official ways of seeking asylum. The Kurdish woman from Iraq (Kurds are persecuted in Iraq and in Turkey) The Kurds were allies to the West in the fight against ISIS. She wanted to join her fiance/husband (it isn't clear whether they were already married). When Patel altered the amount of money saved, she had no choice even though she was already in the system.

The new bill going through Parliament breaches international and domestic law in at least 10 different ways, a report from a team of leading immigration lawyers has concluded.
People are desperate and so take chances.

They are people, not numbers, Maryam Nuri Muhamad Amin

Incidentally, look at the present government. Johnson born in America and only gave up his citizenship when he saw the possibility of becoming PM.
Pritti Patel, whose parents were economic migrants from India, via Uganda in the 1960s.
Rishi Sunak, whose parents came here from Kenya
Daniel Kawczynski born in Poland but tried to get the Poles to vote against Britain in the EU Parliament.

Etc etc
Hypocrisy personified.

As for not wanting migrants, Britain has a falling birth rate, and many many more people will be retired in the next 10 years, so need young workers here to pay taxes.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You need to go to the United Nations and tell them their convention of 1951, as signed by Winston Churchill as Prime Minister of Britain, and tell them, they've got it wrong.
It quite clearly states refugees and asylum seekers can choose where they seek for asylum.

This government has closed down official ways of seeking asylum. The Kurdish woman from Iraq (Kurds are persecuted in Iraq and in Turkey) The Kurds were allies to the West in the fight against ISIS. She wanted to join her fiance/husband (it isn't clear whether they were already married). When Patel altered the amount of money saved, she had no choice even though she was already in the system.

The new bill going through Parliament breaches international and domestic law in at least 10 different ways, a report from a team of leading immigration lawyers has concluded.

Incidentally, look at the present government. Johnson born in America and only gave up his citizenship when he saw the possibility of becoming PM.
Pritti Patel, whose parents were economic migrants from India, via Uganda in the 1960s.
Daniel Kawczynski born in Poland but tried to get the Poles to vote against Britain in the EU Parliament.

Etc etc
Hypocrisy personified.

As for not wanting migrants, Britain has a falling birth rate, and many many more people will be retired in the next 10 years, so need young workers here to pay taxes.

Brighton down 39% apparently since 2011, it’s no wonder the schools are getting twitchy with the number of places being taken up!

One upside to this I suppose is, it’s future benefits to the environment with less of a populous.

D

Deleted member 22389

Your views shared here, are what most people in this country think of the current situation. :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I expect this sort of crap from Ppf but really thought better of you. One or two things you may want to research that may help with your thinking,

Check the number of refugees per head of population in Europe and you will find many countries (including your beloved France) take far more than Britain.
Check where refugees cross the border into the EU and then maybe explain why it should all be left to the countries of the southern Mediterranean.
Check the percentage of refugees granted Asylum through the Asylum and Appeal system against those turned down as 'economic migrants'.

I am really surprised at you spouting this :shrug:

Although I do think that ' I think the UN should then divide them up, and I mean the numbers not families, and 'safe' countries should have to take their share based on population size, language spoken and economic status.' would be a good idea, although it would increase the numbers coming to Britain massively.

Jan 30, 2008

Etc etc
Hypocrisy personified.

You'd be better off giving up on your emotional virtue signalling the new legislation is needed and we need to ditch the ECHR that way people won't be calling the RNLI mid channel for a lift into the UK ,you know it makes sense .61% of people surveyed by yougov don't agree with it and want asylum seekers /economic migrants sent back to France
We can send these boats back by the way we just need Boris to grow a pair

Regards
DF

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I thought that was pretty obvious but let’s go Janet & John.

The point I’m making is the French Police watch these poor people wade into the water risking their lives and do nothing because they say they are outnumbered, yet on arrival to UK the same if not less personnel are able to manage these people perfectly well and get them to comply.

Remember many could quite literally do a runner once ashore but I haven’t heard any stories of this!

Do you discern any difference/s between the predicted behaviour of groups of people running away to escape an encounter from that of them arriving at their chosen destination? No?

I am willing to learn from you but your infantile Janet and John reference makes it a bit more difficult to treat what you write with respect.......

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Do you discern any difference/s between the predicted behaviour of groups of people running away to escape an encounter from that of them arriving at their chosen destination? No?

I am willing to learn from you but your infantile Janet and John reference makes it a bit more difficult to treat what you write with respect.......

But I’m talking about the behaviour of the Police on the French side, I can’t be alone in thinking how callous that is knowing these people could be heading for certain death and do nothing, I apologise for the Janet & John reference, you’re one of the nicest people to debate with on here and I’m afraid you caught me on the back end of dealing with a troll, please accept my apologies.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You'd be better off giving up on your emotional virtue signalling the new legislation is needed and we need to ditch the ECHR that way people won't be calling the RNLI mid channel for a lift into the UK ,you know it makes sense .61% of people surveyed by yougov don't agree with it and won't asylum serkers /economic migrants sent back to France

Regards
DF

Refugees are protected under international law and the Geneva Convention. Regardless on your views on the ECHR, the UNHCR will still apply and will still apply even if we bring in separate legislation.

The RNLI is not a political pawn to be told who and what they can rescue at sea. As much you or the idiots in Hastings believe. They are a charity and can rescue who they like.

Jan 30, 2008
Refugees are protected under international law and the Geneva Convention. Regardless on your views on the ECHR, the UNHCR will still apply and will still apply even if we bring in separate legislation.

The RNLI is not a political pawn to be told who and what they can rescue at sea. As much you or the idiots in Hastings believe. They are a charity and can rescue who they like.

Criminals in France are making a mockery of the RNLI
They encourage people making a illegal crossing of the English Channel to call them its appalling
that it's been allowed to contine for so long ,people who volunteer and who have other jobs it's just not on

Regards
DF

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
They encourage people making a illegal crossing of the English Channel to call them its appalling
that it's been allowed to contine for so long ,people who volunteer and who have other jobs it's just not on

Regards
DF

you don't understand this

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Regards
DF

There is no doubt it isn't a horrible problem that is costing lives and risking lives. Human trafficking is modern slavery. I completely agree it needs to change. However, the change should not come as a harm to the most vulnerable people involved. It needs a political solution not grand standing or ignoring international law, our own laws, or those we are privy to through treaty, agreement or otherwise.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
But I’m talking about the behaviour of the Police on the French side, I can’t be alone in thinking how callous that is knowing these people could be heading for certain death and do nothing, I apologise for the Janet & John reference, you’re one of the nicest people to debate with on here and I’m afraid you caught me on the back end of dealing with a troll, please accept my apologies.

Okay, let's try again....

I am neither trying to defend nor condemn the French police at the scene. My point is that in circumstances where police (from whatever country) are significantly outnumbered, then it is probably more difficult for them to enforce the law in the face of what may be desperate resistance rather than in circumstances of genuine relief and general goodwill.

Also I concede that I am sceptical about the tory, Brexit-loving, francophobe press who seize any jingoistic opportunity no matter how tragic the circumstances....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You'd be better off giving up on your emotional virtue signalling the new legislation is needed and we need to ditch the ECHR that way people won't be calling the RNLI mid channel for a lift into the UK ,you know it makes sense .61% of people surveyed by yougov don't agree with it and want asylum seekers /economic migrants sent back to France

Regards
DF

Be careful what you wish for. Ditching the ECHR applies to you and every citizen.

Even if this country goes full fascist like Franco, shooting people like me, who dare to speak out against the government, there’s still International Maritime Law, where anybody allowing these people to drown, would end up in the courts, where I was only following orders is not a defence.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Be careful what you wish for. Ditching the ECHR applies to you and every citizen.

Even if this country goes full fascist like Franco, shooting people like me, who dare to speak out against the government, there’s still International Maritime Law, where anybody allowing these people to drown, would end up in the courts, where I was only following orders is not a defence.

PPF is just vomiting up headlines.

He won't be aware of the origins of the ECHR, who David Maxwell Fyfe was, and how Winston Churchill was a driving force behind it.

AS for the RNLI, they are just doing their job. Any more from PPF will probably cost me money as it will motivate me to increase my donation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here