Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Welching on your bets while retaining your honour?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As many may recall (and may have seen) I have an ongoing bet with a group of about five of us, various bets around wearing a Palace shirt and walking from the Palace Pier to the Station, and a similar one in Croydon, we always agree the forfeit if the person can't see it through; this is a reasonable donation to The Chestnut Tree House and costs the loser far more than any original bet!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
By now your ex mate will already know your not worth a **** and will be better off without the £40 knowing that you were never really a mate in the first place .

Losing mates over money is common but doing it intentionally with no remorse is pretty low.

Enjoy the butt plug , best keep it in to avoid anymore tightarseness.

Many moons ago, I childishly bet a colleague £20 that he wouldn't drink a jar containing an assortment of rancid leftover items found at the back of the office fridge, most of which were out of date. The recipe included pickled beetroot, smoked mackerel, a hard boiled egg, curdled milk, salad cream, half a tin of tomato soup, blue cheese (who the fúck brought that into the office, I don't know!?), followed by a handful of wasabi peas and some very, very hot sauce.

The keen eyed amongst you will note that many of those ingredients are solids, so we spent some time mashing everything into a kind of half-paste, half-liquid with horrible little bits of floaty stuff bobbing about in the liquid element. The appearance and smell were both revolting, but the texture was something else - just thinking about stirring it around with a spoon makes me feel nauseous all these years later.

Anyway, this was all very childish as I say, but the reality is I never expected the chump to go through it. The concoction was thoroughly unpleasant and incredibly spicy to boot. I was young and absolutely skint at the time - £20 was just about my food and beer money for the week. I couldn't believe it as the kid chugged it down, stopping momentarily to stifle a chunder before completing the job. He was retching, in fact we all were - the smell of his burps were enough to clear the kitchen area.

I really didn't want to pay that £20. It meant I'd have no beer and very little food for the next week, all for the sake of 5 minutes of light entertainment and procrastination. It was mildly amusing, but I was gutted. But then I'd offered it up, and the lad had done what was asked of him.

I had no choice. I carted myself off to the cash machine, took out the £20 and duly paid it to my putrid smelling colleague. If I'd have refused, I'd have looked like a dick in front of my workmates and lost their respect. More importantly, I'd have lost my self-respect. And on balance, that was worth more than £20.

OP, you're reneging on bets with friends and exporting butt plugs to Spain. How's your sense of self-respect holding up?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Theres no way of not honouring a bet honourably I can think of.

Its not "fixtures" either. In 20 years of reading NSC I dont think Ive recalled anyone who would think this is ok. Christ I seem to remember Palace fans honouring a bet and running through Croydon in a Brighton shirt, and you run from £40 notes? . Its probably too late to show some class now even if you pay. Embarrassing

Didn't a certain poet associated with the club not pay up someone for something that I can't remember it was that long ago. Might have even been an Orient fan when we had that little rivalry with them back in the early naughties.

But you are spot on in this case, just pay the man! I had a bet with a Charlton fan the year we won the third division under Poyet who would finish higher. To this day he still hasn't paid me.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Actually you can (in the UK at least, so may not be the case here) as long as it contains the correct information - the recipient, however, doesn’t have to accept it and can insist on being paid in legal tender.........

I stand corrected, not sure a bank would realistically accept it mind. Bit like the old 'pay for the bus with stamps' one.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Didn't a certain poet associated with the club not pay up someone for something that I can't remember it was that long ago. Might have even been an Orient fan when we had that little rivalry with them back in the early naughties.

But you are spot on in this case, just pay the man! I had a bet with a Charlton fan the year we won the third division under Poyet who would finish higher. To this day he still hasn't paid me.

I hint in Post 19 and it still takes until Post 49. NSC is slipping in its Binfestability

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I stand corrected, not sure a bank would realistically accept it mind. Bit like the old 'pay for the bus with stamps' one.

Actually experienced it a couple of times (and it’s something that’s covered in the legal paper of the banking qualification- think its the Bills of Exchange Act 1882)........took a while, call to head office etc etc but in both cases the bank it was drawn on was in the same town so wasn’t too difficult to sort out with the other bank (this was back in the 80s though - be surprised if anyone in a bank ‘sales outlet’ would have a clue nowadays).

There are stories around of farmers settling disputed debts writing on cows.......

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not welching, but Picasso, in later life paid his restaurant bills with a cheque that he had also drawn on the back of, knowing most people would sell the cheque as Picasso art (for more than it's face value) rather than cash it. Win, Win.

I don't know what the item you have chosen to write your cheque upon is, but he might as well stick it up his arse for all the good trying to cash it or pay it into his account will do.

Believe it was Dali, or maybe they both did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here