Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Welching on your bets while retaining your honour?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can I also add - worst cover up of a name EVER. Already found this bloke on Twitter.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Apologies if fixtures.

Last season, unwisely as it turned out, I bet my Leeds friend £40 that they wouldn't win the Championship.

Obviously a massive blow to me when they did.

I had no concrete intention to honour my bet - I have my limits - but the nagging has been constant and intense.

So I came up with a rather cunning plan...

...he lives in Spain and wanted to be paid to his Euro account...

...so I wrote him a cheque - quite legally - on this (scroll down)...

S
C
R
O
L
L

D
O
W
N

View attachment 130960

...with, on the bulb, written in Spanish 'THE MAN GIVING YOU THIS HAS RECENTLY USED IT'

[I'll let you know his reaction.]

Have you ever welched on a bet 'honourably' and how?

You know you cant just write on something and call it a cheque right?

Nothing worse than a man who doesn't pay his bets. Weird thread.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You know you cant just write on something and call it a cheque right?

Nothing worse than a man who doesn't pay his bets. Weird thread.

Actually you can (in the UK at least, so may not be the case here) as long as it contains the correct information - the recipient, however, doesn’t have to accept it and can insist on being paid in legal tender.........

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It does reminds me of a time when I was younger. Went travelling with a couple of friends in the 90s and when trekking in Nepal we played a lot of chess and cards with each other and other trekkers in the evening (often smoking the best homegrown weed you could ever get). One mate was a bit cocky so we started to put US dollars on the games to spice it up a bit. After about a week of "double or quits" it got up to $20 and I didn't want to double or quits anymore , I was I'll take the money now thanks! He paid up (as I would have) but in retrospect I got it wrong and misjudged it and he was a bit resentful for a while. I didn't recognise it was just a laugh and should have played on until we were quits and laughed about it. 20 bucks was quite a lot of baht when we hit Thailand after though!
But in essence I would always pay up a bet lost to a friend and expect the same from them. Always. "i had no intention to honour the bet" makes you sound like a knobhead.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Apologies if fixtures.

Last season, unwisely as it turned out, I bet my Leeds friend £40 that they wouldn't win the Championship.

Obviously a massive blow to me when they did.

I had no concrete intention to honour my bet - I have my limits - but the nagging has been constant and intense.

So I came up with a rather cunning plan...

...he lives in Spain and wanted to be paid to his Euro account...

...so I wrote him a cheque - quite legally - on this (scroll down)...

S
C
R
O
L
L

D
O
W
N

View attachment 130960

...with, on the bulb, written in Spanish 'THE MAN GIVING YOU THIS HAS RECENTLY USED IT'

[I'll let you know his reaction.]

Have you ever welched on a bet 'honourably' and how?

Did you get paid on the below bets?

a4bb09028d14f683d92b2cf0cfdb78dd.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Never welched on abet and no intention of starting.

Given the item used for the cheque by the OP I wonder what strange present he would buy for secret Santa

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I love the fact that you've bothered with 'Apologies if fixtures'. As if ANYONE would've started the same thread.

Just pay the money FFS! If you had no intention of paying it, don't take the bet in the first place. If you were my friend, I'd tell you to get tae **** :dunce:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Betting can be an addiction and for some can get out of hand, costing them their house and worse.

If you ever welch on a bet, that must be your last ever bet as it indicates you can't cope with losing.

With EVERY bet there must be a winner AND a loser.

No one likes a practical joke either.

Man up and pay up !

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
By now your ex mate will already know your not worth a **** and will be better off without the £40 knowing that you were never really a mate in the first place .

Losing mates over money is common but doing it intentionally with no remorse is pretty low.

Enjoy the butt plug , best keep it in to avoid anymore tightarseness.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Theres no way of not honouring a bet honourably I can think of.

Its not "fixtures" either. In 20 years of reading NSC I dont think Ive recalled anyone who would think this is ok. Christ I seem to remember Palace fans honouring a bet and running through Croydon in a Brighton shirt, and you run from £40 notes? . Its probably too late to show some class now even if you pay. Embarrassing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here