Weekend in Barcelona

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I'm off to Barcelona for three nights tomorrow. Thought I would get some advice from the knowledgeable people on NSC. We are aiming to see the Barca v Bilbao match on Saturday evening. Not got any tickets as yet, is it easy enough to pick up on gate or would you recommend getting sooner?

Also want a heads up for what other things to see / do and what best to avoid.

Thanks in advance

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I took the cheesy open top bus, it's a hop on and off type thing and if you plan on visiting the Nou Camp anyway you might as well do it on this. One thing I wish I had tried was the cable car that goes up to this massive hill and(I think?) onto the olympic port.

One thing I would never do is drive in central Barcelona, nightmare!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Great city, you'll have an amazing time.

One word of advice tho - avoid wondering around the gothic quarter, or other dodgy areas, late at night when drunk, especially if you're on your own. I got mugged!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Don't get a taxi from the airport, get the bus for 10% of the cost.
Go to Bar Ra for eats (there is also a wicked cocktail bar round the corner but i forget what it's called)
Do all the Gaudi shit.
Do use the subway. Clean, efficient and cheap.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I took the cheesy open top bus, it's a hop on and off type thing and if you plan on visiting the Nou Camp anyway you might as well do it on this. One thing I wish I had tried was the cable car that goes up to this massive hill and(I think?) onto the olympic port.

One thing I would never do is drive in central Barcelona, nightmare!
Open top bus the way to go. Don't miss Parc Guell

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
Not that its of any relevance but I got stopped by the guardia over there on suspicion of hand bag theft whilst hanging around outside a shop waiting for my spanish work colleagues to come out, good job they did as i couldnt speak a work of spanish and they got me off. not that i did nick a bag but must have looked dodgy

An Old Seagull

Jun 21, 2011
Worthing
2 bits of advice for you:
1) Go to Bar Bagdad - best gash show ever witnessed - pricey but worth it...
2) Next time do not book a weekend away the same weekend as we are at home - derrrrrr..

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
You cannot help but have a great time in Barcelona.

Parc Guell
Sagrada Familia
Cable car up to Montjuic hill
Barhopping along seafront

Just be careful - pickpocketing rife.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Sagrada Familia, Montjuic, Camp Nou, Barri Gotic, Parc Guell

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I'm off to Barcelona for three nights tomorrow. Thought I would get some advice from the knowledgeable people on NSC. We are aiming to see the Barca v Bilbao match on Saturday evening. Not got any tickets as yet, is it easy enough to pick up on gate or would you recommend getting sooner?

Also want a heads up for what other things to see / do and what best to avoid.

Thanks in advance

Gaudi garden, houses are worth a butchers. A nice beach to sit and have a few sangria's/beers. Take the cable cart up on the hill(decent view of the city) and have a look around the Joan Miro foundation if thats your sort of thing. It wasn't necessarily mine but i found it quite amusing. The colourful tapas on display in some of the bars impressed me. Simple, quick way of eating and very tasty. I encountered a fair amount of beggars in the city centre whilst eating outside. I recall a lady collecting for an Aids charity. There was something not quite right about her.

Anyway, have a great time. It's a wonderful place.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
You're best doing the Nou camp stadium tour as, getting tickets for a match is not only difficult but very expensive too!

Like everybody else says, watch out for pickpockets - and the prostitutes who'll steal your money, wallet and watch without a second thought (apparently!)

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
dont envy you at all,ive had two trips there,first time got caught up in an armed robbery and ended up dodging live rounds,second trip got mugged.
im not planning a third trip anytime soon but have fun!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Don't leave your plane tickets, passports, camera, phone and housekeys in a bag in the taxi back to the airport and let it drive off into the distance on the way home like I did :facepalm:

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
I have been 7 times, awesome city, Parc Guell is a must......and walk down Las Ramblas from the centre of the city all the way down to the seafront, but beware of pickpockets, I got my £400 camcorder stolen from McDonalds and only put to down for 2 secs, police don't want to know either if you gat anything stolen, other than that vibrant city on all levels.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
You're best doing the Nou camp stadium tour as, getting tickets for a match is not only difficult but very expensive too!

Like everybody else says, watch out for pickpockets - and the prostitutes who'll steal your money, wallet and watch without a second thought (apparently!)

How hard is it to get tickets for a game at the Nou Camp? We were just going to go up on the morning of the game and get them, is this not possible?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Oct 25, 2003
i've been 3 times and have never been mugged/pick pocketed....must've been lucky

DON'T eat on las ramblas....(the ones i tried anyway) were overpriced and not that great, there are so many good restaurants in the city

the walk around the olympic site is quite nice.......try and do the nou camp tour even if you can't get tickets to a game (have always gone in the summer so don't know about tickets)...it's a cracking tour/museum......sagrada familia is pretty decent...and do all the gaudi stuff

great city

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
Add one more to the "been mugged in Barcelona" gang. To be fair they're pretty good at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports