Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Webster out for the rest of the season?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Your evidence was fairly easily dismissed.

Solly plays as a wingback in the PL.
If he had no strength in defensive duties, Burn would be first choice.
He has been one of our players of the season in a role that requires both defensive and attacking strengths.

To say defense is not one of his strengths is just clearly wrong.

He was my player of the season upto his injury closely followed by Webby. Not sure who takes it now

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It is my opinion, backed up with the two examples I gave you.

You're the one who hasn't given any evidence to show that it is one of his strengths...

Personally, I believe that March is far better defensively than Tariq. And, before anyone leaps in, I'm a great fan of Tariq :thumbsup:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Your evidence was fairly easily dismissed.

Solly plays as a wingback in the PL.
If he had no strength in defensive duties, Burn would be first choice.
He has been one of our players of the season in a role that requires both defensive and attacking strengths.

To say defense is not one of his strengths is just clearly wrong.

It was dismissed by you. If you want to say with a straight face that the penalty vs Saints wasn't terrible defending and likewise the non-penalty vs Villa then you can, but those of us that in live in reality will say otherwise.

Still awaiting any 'evidence' to show that defending is one his strengths... I'll happily eat humble pie.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Said the same about Lamptey not so long ago didn’t he. Smoke and Mirrors imo

Well Players can be recovering from injury as expected one week and then they’re not. That’s unlucky for them and for us but that’s injuries and contact sports for you. What’s really odd though is idea - even after he’s flat out stated the opposite today ! - that Potter knows for certain a player has no chance of playing again this season but for appearance sake is suggesting in public he might.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was dismissed by you. If you want to say with a straight face that the penalty vs Saints wasn't terrible defending and likewise the non-penalty vs Villa then you can, but those of us that in live in reality will say otherwise.

Still awaiting any 'evidence' to show that defending is one his strengths... I'll happily eat humble pie.

For example. Solly played in the clean sheet wins over Leeds, Liverpool and Spurs.

You focus on a couple of poor tackles, one would’ve come to nothing without the incompetence of ref/VAR.

Every defender makes mistakes leading to goals, including our own Dunk and Webster. Solly’s no different.

But he’s a decent defender and great at driving us forward. We miss him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Strengths - defensive contribution

1CFA64EF-FA06-48DF-AE2A-E9FB2017BB43.png

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
For example. Solly played in the clean sheet wins over Leeds, Liverpool and Spurs.

You focus on a couple of poor tackles, one would’ve come to nothing without the incompetence of ref/VAR.

Every defender makes mistakes leading to goals, including our own Dunk and Webster. Solly’s no different.

He’s the player I feel we’re missing most. As you say he drives us forward, he’s reliable, defends well, has pace and gives us great balance. We look lopsided without him. Burn, Alzate and Trossard have all been tried in his position and are not in his class.

I was devastated when he got that injury. One, because he was having such a great season personally, my player of the season. And two, I knew his absence would be a huge problem for us as it’s proving.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Colin Hawkins played in clean sheet games vs Orient, Peterborough and Hereford...

You say it would have to come to nothing but even if it wasn't given as a penalty, it was a foul in a dangerous position on the edge of our box.

Yes, every defender makes mistakes and it's not like Solly is a calamity when defending but it's not one of his strengths.

Yes, we certainly miss him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

But you won't.

You've made your mind up and are just one of those posters who won't accept they are talking bollocks.
We all do it sometimes, Some people can admit it, some can't.

It's a matter of opinion.
In my view yours is worthless.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well Players can be recovering from injury as expected one week and then they’re not. That’s unlucky for them and for us but that’s injuries and contact sports for you. What’s really odd though is idea - even after he’s flat out stated the opposite today ! - that Potter knows for certain a player has no chance of playing again this season but for appearance sake is suggesting in public he might.

This is true.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s the player I feel we’re missing most. As you say he drives us forward, he’s reliable, defends well, has pace and gives us great balance. We look lopsided without him. Burn, Alzate and Trossard have all been tried in his position and are not in his class.

I was devastated when he got that injury. One, because he was having such a great season personally, my player of the season. And two, I knew his absence would be a huge problem for us as it’s proving.

Great post, I totally agree.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Will he be fit for Manure ?

If he’s not 100% I’d be tempted to leave him out and play the Veltman, Dunk and White combination. They looked ok against Newcastle (although I may also have coped playing as a CB for us in that match). Keeps the same winning team. Make sure he’s 100% fit for when he does come back. We’ll need fresh legs at some point in the run in and will be great to have him back.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If he’s not 100% I’d be tempted to leave him out and play the Veltman, Dunk and White combination. They looked ok against Newcastle (although I may also have coped playing as a CB for us in that match). Keeps the same winning team. Make sure he’s 100% fit for when he does come back. We’ll need fresh legs at some point in the run in and will be great to have him back.

Normally I'd agree, but he gives us so much in the air, both defensively and offensively. Not a great strength of White or Veltman (who I think are both excellent).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Normally I'd agree, but he gives us so much in the air, both defensively and offensively. Not a great strength of White or Veltman (who I think are both excellent).

He could do with a run out for the Under 23's if they have a game coming up, before we throw him back in again. He has been out for a fair while now.

I know how much Potter likes to tinker, but l'd be tempted to stick with the same starting eleven after they beat Newcastle so convincingly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley assuming GPott will go with an unchanged team is basically saying Newcastle and Utd are one of the same.

He set the Albion out with a specific gameplan to counteract a team that was going to sit back and do very little attacking.

Different game different game plan (esp with 2 weeks training time)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He could do with a run out for the Under 23's if they have a game coming up, before we throw him back in again. He has been out for a fair while now.

I know how much Potter likes to tinker, but l'd be tempted to stick with the same starting eleven after they beat Newcastle so convincingly.

Valid points. The only thing I can say with certainty. I would never EVER gamble anything on a GPOT selection :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here