Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Webster out for the rest of the season?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Considering how many CBs have been at club it is bad management that we are in the poo because of Webster injury. Forgetting Clarke I consider Bernardo is a better FB then Burn and Balagon now at Rangers was a better CB

It’s the lack of fullbacks that has caught us out. We’d started the season with 5 centre backs including Veltman, that should have been enough, but we only had 3 fullback/wingbacks, we’ve lost 2 to injury and sent the other on loan, we’re still trying to play the same or similar formation but with 4 centre backs plus a midfielder. I’d like to see Karbownik play but if Potter doesn’t deem him ready then so be it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So which CB plays on the left?
Dunk? With White in the centre? Or Velts and keep Dunky central?

I kind of assumed that because Dunk played the left side in a 4 he was the logical choice to play the left CB in a 3.
I was surprised that Webster was always chosen over Dunk to play the left CB role, but it worked.

In my mind I’ve envisaged Dunk as the left sided centre back, White in the middle and Veltman on the right, but then it’s starting to get very square peg and round hole.
Alternatively, keep Veltman RWB, Karbownik at LWB and Burn-Dunk- White as the 3, but that relies on Potter believing that Karbownik is ready. Our shortages at fullback are horrific.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Springal old boy re Lamptey is your source of the opinion that his injury is potentially career ending?

To be fair it is never really discussed in that much detail and the person who told me isn't medical. Just knew that a couple of weeks after Websters injury it was looking possible he needed an operation at that time, as well as Lamptey

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In my mind I’ve envisaged Dunk as the left sided centre back, White in the middle and Veltman on the right, but then it’s starting to get very square peg and round hole.
Alternatively, keep Veltman RWB, Karbownik at LWB and Burn-Dunk- White as the 3, but that relies on Potter believing that Karbownik is ready. Our shortages at fullback are horrific.

I believe Karbownik is preferred at RWB rather than on the left.
I think Veltman might be a good choice on the left, he seems to be pretty good with his left.

As you say the square peg nature of the changes would be a concern, Limiting that to our most experienced and versatile defender, would probably be sensible.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It’s the lack of fullbacks that has caught us out. We’d started the season with 5 centre backs including Veltman, that should have been enough, but we only had 3 fullback/wingbacks, we’ve lost 2 to injury and sent the other on loan, we’re still trying to play the same or similar formation but with 4 centre backs plus a midfielder. I’d like to see Karbownik play but if Potter doesn’t deem him ready then so be it.

Absolutely, it is our biggest issue now and unfortunately we all saw it coming.

We were obviously at our best with Solly and Lamptey at wing back, they were crucial to the way we were playing and the most important part of our team both from an attacking and defensive point of view. They stretched the game leaving space in the middle for the others to exploit and you always felt confident they had the pace to get back if caught up field. It was commented on here at the time though, what would happen if they both got injured as they were so important to our play and we didn't have the players to cover them and we're finding that out now.

Like you I'd like to see Karbownik tried, there must be a reason why he's not being given a go though as although he'd prefer to play in midfield, he definitely on paper seems like a better option than Burn or Alzate at wing back and he would inject a bit of pace into an incredibly one paced side at the moment.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Absolutely, it is our biggest issue now and unfortunately we all saw it coming.

We were obviously at our best with Solly and Lamptey at wing back, they were crucial to the way we were playing and the most important part of our team both from an attacking and defensive point of view. They stretched the game leaving space in the middle for the others to exploit and you always felt confident they had the pace to get back if caught up field. It was commented on here at the time though, what would happen if they both got injured as they were so important to our play and we didn't have the players to cover them and we're finding that out now.

Like you I'd like to see Karbownik tried, there must be a reason why he's not being given a go though as although he'd prefer to play in midfield, he definitely on paper seems like a better option than Burn or Alzate at wing back and he would inject a bit of pace into an incredibly one paced side at the moment.

With the most expensive and arguably strongest squad ever assembled in the club's history unfortunately it appears the most important person in the equation didn't see it coming.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
"making good progress - back after the international break" according to Potter in today's press conference. *(ie: in line with expected return and Potter's last update on this a few weeks ago)

perhaps OP might want to edit the thread title.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
"making good progress - back after the international break" according to Potter in today's press conference. *(ie: in line with expected return and Potter's last update on this a few weeks ago)

Please please let this be true and let the OP come on here with a suitable retraction

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
well its true in the sense that Potter has literally just said it. Sure that won't be sufficient for some !

Sorry, not disputing GP said it, just want it to come to fruition with no setbacks

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
God help us that the medical team don't know the difference between a 'back spasm' and 'cracked rib'

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Surely not...his demise has been well and truly discussed and he’s been binned ..unbelievable

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
With the exception of Everton and Leicester we had only lost by the odd goal and drawn too many.
This was because our defence was shaky.

Then Potter added Sanchez which was the final piece to our defence.
Almost everyone on here agreed that was the case.

We started to look solid.
Webster and Dunk were able to focus on their jobs and we started winning and drawing games.
Stopped shipping silly goals.

Take a look at the 5 goals concedes in the last 3 games.
I'd argue that 3 of them don't happen with Webster and March playing.

Northing to do with us not being able to hit a barn door?

For all March's strengths, stopping goals is not one of them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
well its true in the sense that Potter has literally just said it. Sure that won't be sufficient for some !

I haven't bought into the rumours and in-the-know comments about Webster missing the season, although it might happen. Potter has said precisely what you indicated: "he's making good progress, and back after the international break". The positive there is that he'll play for us again, although there's a whole swathe of time after the international break. We'll see when he comes back but, on the whole and hopefully you can agree with this, what Potter says gives us much more to go with than those with unverified or unverifiable sources.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Northing to do with us not being able to hit a barn door?

For all March's strengths, stopping goals is not one of them.

Well yes the 5 goals conceded did have nothing to do with our inability to score goals.
March's defensive skills have been improving year on year for a long time now.

He was very good defensively under Hughton, probably at the detriment of his attacking nature.
He has continued to improve his defensive skills in the wingback role under Potter.

I can only assume you don't watch us much.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove

To be fair Potter has told us in the past that injured players would be back by a certain time and then are nowhere to be seen. I would prefer him to say "let's wait and see as we don't know yet" rather than raise expectations.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Well yes the 5 goals conceded did have nothing to do with our inability to score goals.
March's defensive skills have been improving year on year for a long time now.

He was very good defensively under Hughton, probably at the detriment of his attacking nature.
He has continued to improve his defensive skills in the wingback role under Potter.

I can only assume you don't watch us much.

I guess you didn't watch the games vs Saints where he gave a penalty away and vs Villa where he was lucky to get a reprieve after giving a penalty away...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
To be fair Potter has told us in the past that injured players would be back by a certain time and then are nowhere to be seen. I would prefer him to say "let's wait and see as we don't know yet" rather than raise expectations.

really ? why have a press conference then ?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I guess you didn't watch the games vs Saints where he gave a penalty away and vs Villa where he was lucky to get a reprieve after giving a penalty away...

Oh sorry I was wrong.
You do watch us, you just know nothing about football.

As the worst examples of Solly's defending you call out those examples?

Christ on a bike!
Way to lose an argument fella.

Saints outside the area (bad VAR decison confirmed by PGMOL)
Villa correct VAR decision as Solly didn't touch the cheating, diving, screaming, scumbag.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here