Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wearing the Poppy.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Where do you even get a poppy from these days? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Lots of places - there is a seller inside each entrance of Churchill Square shopping centre if nowhere else, and I believe WHSmith has a collection tin and poppies on their tills too.

If nothing else, why not ask someone wearing one where they got it from?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Lots of places - there is a seller inside each entrance of Churchill Square shopping centre if nowhere else, and I believe WHSmith has a collection tin and poppies on their tills too.

If nothing else, why not ask someone wearing one where they got it from?

Surely you've been wooshed ??

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Walking around the Somme its difficult to imagine the horror, until you see the hundreds of graveyards. What I found the most sad, in the graveyards of all involved, British, French, German, was the ages of some of the children that fell in all the armies...14, 15, and 16 year olds...
I think Tynecot is one of the biggest British cemetries...12,000 graves and 42,000 mentioned on plaques around the walls of no known graves....As Dave has said,the young ages of those who lied about their age so they could serve...15 y.o. was the youngest I saw,in a well decorated grave,but the amazing thing is the amount of graves inscribed...Known only to God.
The German cemetery is very eeirie,you walk through a tunnel showing videos of German troops and they play the sound of a cold wind,the walls are all painted black and the headstones are all laid flat so they do not point to God ...weird.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Im surprised the Health and Safety brigade havnt banned the Poppies that still use a pin.

I can never get the Poppy to stay in with a pin, this year I got one with sticky instead, it looks identical and hasnt fallen off once, you can transfer it from top to top without it losing its 'sticky-ness' to. Perfect.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I wear a poppy and fully support the excellent work of the Royal British Legion, but i find this aggressive poppy fascism disturbing especially now it seems to have expanded to how you arrange a paper leaf on the damned things. If you wear a poppy brilliant, if you wear a white poppy fine, if you don't wear a poppy ok, it's your choice. If you want to explain your decision and persuade people of your opinion great, but please don't try to force everyone to conform to your narrow interpretation. It's disrespectful to the principles the people who served and are serving on our behalf were defending.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Where do you even get a poppy from these days? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Errr - every Supermarket I've been in for about the last two weeks has had them, off licences, local newsagents.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
At my old school our GCSE history trip to the battlefields of the Somme, and all the different memorials and cemeteries was undoubtedly the single most powerful and poignant visit I've ever been on. Our history teacher made a point each year of selling poppies in the entrance foyer of our school, and asked us not to necessarily make a donation if we didn't want to, but to just take a poppy and wear it with pride to remember the fallen. Needless to say, for a small school we still raised four-figure sums for the RBL each year.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I wear a poppy and fully support the excellent work of the Royal British Legion, but i find this aggressive poppy fascism disturbing especially now it seems to have expanded to how you arrange a paper leaf on the damned things. If you wear a poppy brilliant, if you wear a white poppy fine, if you don't wear a poppy ok, it's your choice. If you want to explain your decision and persuade people of your opinion great, but please don't try to force everyone to conform to your narrow interpretation. It's disrespectful to the principles the people who served and are serving on our behalf were defending.
:thumbsup:

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Errr - every Supermarket I've been in for about the last two weeks has had them, off licences, local newsagents.

I haven't seen them in any of the supermarkets, newsagents, charity shops etc that I've been in. Hence why I asked.

I admittedly haven't been to every single shop in East Sussex though.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Well said that ma...woma...Scampi, spot on!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here