Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wearing the Poppy.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why does everyone have to display visual support of whatever these days? In whatever form. We don't all turn up wearing football shirts - doesn't mean you're not every bit a supporter as those that do! Stop being so judgemental, you have no idea if someone supports the Armed forces or not just because they're wearing a poppy. It could be just because they've forgotten to transfer the poppy they 'bought' from one suit to another! There is an element of the poppy police these days, heaven forbid someone appears on tv without one between mid October and November.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
So there is now a way that people can be up their own arse about poppies. FFS, if people are supporting our armed forces then there is nothing to complain about.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
genuine question here though

does anyone know who makes the small crosses/poppy memorial things with the soldiers name on them,ive tried googling but not getting very far

we have all seen plenty of the standard ones at memorials but i saw some at the menin gate with soldiers names on,would like one for our visit next year to remember his passing 100 years on

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Why does everyone have to display visual support of whatever these days? In whatever form. We don't all turn up wearing football shirts - doesn't mean you're not every bit a supporter as those that do! Stop being so judgemental, you have no idea if someone supports the Armed forces or not just because they're wearing a poppy. It could be just because they've forgotten to transfer the poppy they 'bought' from one suit to another! There is an element of the poppy police these days, heaven forbid someone appears on tv without one between mid October and November.

It it's poppylitical correctness gone mad I tells ya

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
genuine question here though

does anyone know who makes the small crosses/poppy memorial things with the soldiers name on them,ive tried googling but not getting very far

we have all seen plenty of the standard ones at memorials but i saw some at the menin gate with soldiers names on,would like one for our visit next year to remember his passing 100 years on

I have always found the small plain wooden crosses in shops or RBL sellers. These are blank so with a nice gel pen you can write your own personal message on them.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I have always found the small plain wooden crosses in shops or RBL sellers. These are blank so with a nice gel pen you can write your own personal message on them.

thanks
was thinking more on the lines of the personalised ones i have seen at Ypres,some very nice ones with a small engraving.I guess one needs to get hold of one of the crosses you have mentioned and then look down the local route of a local engravour

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
thanks
was thinking more on the lines of the personalised ones i have seen at Ypres,some very nice ones with a small engraving.I guess one needs to get hold of one of the crosses you have mentioned and then look down the local route of a local engravour
Guess you did the .WW1 tour,went there a couple of weeks ago to find my Grandads grave,lost his life at the second battle of the Somme 30th August 1918...if you're interested in Military history it is well worth a visit. To those that are thinking of going, book early, this year being the 100th anniversary it will be heavily subscribed too. Speaking to the driver and he said that normally he does the trip 3 times a year,he is booked for thirteen trips next year already.:thumbsup:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Walking around the Somme its difficult to imagine the horror, until you see the hundreds of graveyards. What I found the most sad, in the graveyards of all involved, British, French, German, was the ages of some of the children that fell in all the armies...14, 15, and 16 year olds...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here