Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wearing a safety pin!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Someone told me the safety pin idea was to make immigrants feel welcome?? Why should we? Do other countries go out of their way to make Brits feel welcome if we emigrate? No. When I emigrated to Canada in the 70s no one laid out a red carpet or wore a safety pin (at least not that I'm aware of). I arrived, I started work, I got on with life, I adapted to the various oddities of Canadian life, I had a lot of fun, I paid taxes ... and after 7 years I left. I did not expect anyone to give me any kind of special treatment and I didn't get any.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It's a well-intentioned but misguided attempt to make life marginally better for some people (not just immigrants).

Really not worth getting titsy over.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can't stand any of it, just like I can't stand celebrities telling me to dig deep and give to Charity and making everyone feel guilty.

Remember that 'Make Poverty History' campaign, where Bono was staring earnestly into the camera, clapping his hands, saying "every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies"

WELL STOP CLAPPING YOUR HANDS THEN YOU C**T

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's a well-intentioned but misguided attempt to make life marginally better for some people (not just immigrants).

Really not worth getting titsy over.

This is what I think. Why slag anyone off that wants to do it? It's not exactly harming anyone. I'm ambivalent to a degree, but I think anything that raises an awareness is not a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Hate crime has an excuse, the country's going to shit, we'll have a recession where you, your family and the whole country will be affected, but hey get over it! The country lost.

Intolerance has many heads, and the guilty of it have different motives.

Last weeks democratic result has lead to a spike of that there is no doubt, but it's the losers who are most vitriolic and have most to gain from the illusion that those supporting leave are busy building ovens in their back gardens in preparation for the next phase.

In the real world, I can only imagine how threatened old white people must feel around around gangs of angry young people these days given the outpouring of vile abuse about them on Twitter etc.

It's very sad that the losers of the vote can't be tolerant and respect democracy.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Someone told me the safety pin idea was to make immigrants feel welcome?? Why should we? Do other countries go out of their way to make Brits feel welcome if we emigrate?

It's to show people that they are safe, not to say 'welcome'.

Since the vote, racists have been abusing and assaulting immigrants and other people who look/sound different to them, including non-white Brits.

Police report a sharp increase in these assaults. This has now happened to two friends of friends of mine, in separate incidents, and other friends have witnessed such assaults in the past week.

Whether the safety pin thing has any effect is questionable, but you can at least see why people are doing it. It is our friends, family and neighbours under attack and feeling scared.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Can't stand any of it, just like I can't stand celebrities telling me to dig deep and give to Charity and making everyone feel guilty.

And multi- million Tesco asking ME to buy food from them so THEY can give it to the local foodbank!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Whether the safety pin thing has any effect is questionable, but you can at least see why people are doing it. It is our friends, family and neighbours under attack and feeling scared.

No I can't see why people are wearing them. A completely pointless and "look at me" exercise.

D

Deleted member 22389

And multi- million Tesco asking ME to buy food from them so THEY can give it to the local foodbank!

I give to the RNLI and other charities when I can, I also run a charity website.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
It's to show people that they are safe, not to say 'welcome'.

Since the vote, racists have been abusing and assaulting immigrants and other people who look/sound different to them, including non-white Brits.

Police report a sharp increase in these assaults. This has now happened to two friends of friends of mine, in separate incidents, and other friends have witnessed such assaults in the past week.

So bin the safety pin and stand up to be counted when you see bad things happening. That video on a Manchester tram was sickening; not because of the stupidity of the 3 kids, but because dozens of 'good' people stood there and watched, only piping up the little gits had got off the tram.
The safety pin thing is a way for hand wringing liberals to abdicate personal responsibility. It is bollox unless people are willing to back that up with a personal zero-tolerance approach to rascist/xenophobic/homophobic etc hate crimes and abuse happening around them.
The Aussies got nearer the point with that 'ride with me' campaign - perhaps our approach should be something similar? Let the gits and the bully-cowards know that we will not accept that sort of behaviour in our presence, in our country, in our names.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here