Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wearing a safety pin!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I know you didn't mean it as an insult.

But honestly. The whole concept that I should walk around wearing a safety pin so that an immigrant / foreign national or whatever can feel SAFE around me, is one of the most idiotic concepts I have ever heard of. I'm sure whoever dreamt this up did it with the right intentions. But it doesn't alter the fact that they have displayed some catastrophic bell-cheesery at a truly WEAPONS GRADE level.

In any case, if wearing a jellybean on your right eyelid was a sign that you're not a serial killer, any serial killer worth his salt would also wear one.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Its another piece of social media twattery from some handwringing BEDWETTER who hasn't got anything better to do with his or her time than dreaming up vacuous "gestures" like this in the hope of sending it viral, to make themselves feel reeeeally right-on.

Whats next. Shall I wear a paperclip on my left earlobe to reassure everyone that I'm not a paedo ? How about sellotaping a jellybean to my eyelid to say to everyone that I'm not a serial killer ?

Bunch of ponce.

:lolol: Very good.
Already seen a Twitter account using the pin on their profile photo.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Why not just be nice to everyone, irrespective of race, and if you come across examples of racism, confront it directly? Don't see the point (!) of safety pins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well guys I really didn't think that this was such a bad idea.
I agree that people should be taken at face value, even if it means not wearing a 'marker' to show where you may becoming from.
I bow down to your superior knowledge, no insult intended :)

Big balls for a polite reply :thumbsup:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Safety pins are quite hard to see from a distance aren't they?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know you didn't mean it as an insult.

But honestly. The whole concept that I should walk around wearing a safety pin so that an immigrant / foreign national or whatever can feel SAFE around me, is one of the most idiotic concepts I have ever heard of. I'm sure whoever dreamt this up did it with the right intentions. But it doesn't alter the fact that they have displayed some catastrophic bell-cheesery at a truly WEAPONS GRADE level.

It was an adaptation of the Australian badges that were worn after their terrorist attacks.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
In the wake of an increase in reports of hate crime following the EU referendum, Londoner Allison had the idea over the weekend to get people to wear a safety pin on their clothes to show solidarity against racism.

I think this is a great idea :)

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/ar...pin-in-solidarity-with-immigrants--Wy_HSHcxSb

Yes interesting.

I have seen a tidal wave of intolerance and prejudice since the Brexit vote, incl. on social media death threats against elected representatives and demands for people to die for being from a different generation or holding a different outlook.

I suspect some of these bigots would be pre-disposed to fastening on a safety pin to show support for his cause.

It doesn't mean that they are tolerant though, or democrats or law abiding.............it just means they have a safety pin on their coat.

I suspect most of the population will see it that way.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes interesting.

I have seen a tidal wave of intolerance and prejudice since the Brexit vote, incl. on social media death threats against elected representatives and demands for people to die for being from a different generation or holding a different outlook.

I suspect some of these bigots would be pre-disposed to fastening on a safety pin to show support for his cause.

It doesn't mean that they are tolerant though, or democrats or law abiding.............it just means they have a safety pin on their coat.

I suspect most of the population will see it that way.

Perhaps you could wear a picture of a penis on your lapel today.

Good grief. If you can find cause to criticize people participating in this then you are pretty mean spirited.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Its another piece of social media twattery from some handwringing BEDWETTER who hasn't got anything better to do with his or her time than dreaming up vacuous "gestures" like this in the hope of sending it viral, to make themselves feel reeeeally right-on.

Whats next. Shall I wear a paperclip on my left earlobe to reassure everyone that I'm not a paedo ? How about sellotaping a jellybean to my eyelid to say to everyone that I'm not a serial killer ?

Bunch of ponce.

The jellybean idea is class! [emoji3]

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
This may come across as a bit harsh but I certainly won't won't wear one.

How's this for an idea....

I will go about my normal business in every day life talking to anyone and anyone I meet with respect.

If everyone else did the same then the racists will soon enough give up with their personal vitriols' and immigrants can carry on with their normal lives.

Or is that too simplistic?

Not at all, and great sentiments. I try to do the same.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Perhaps you could wear a picture of a penis on your lapel today.

Good grief. If you can find cause to criticize people participating in this then you are pretty mean spirited.

You lost, get over it.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Well guys I really didn't think that this was such a bad idea.
I agree that people should be taken at face value, even if it means not wearing a 'marker' to show where you may becoming from.
I bow down to your superior knowledge, no insult intended :)

Well now I feel bad!

It was probably just us being cynical *******s. I just don't like things like this as people jump on to them on Social Media and try and make out that they are brilliant because they are wearing a safety pin. It was emphasised by the ice bucket challenge where loads of people did it because it was the thing to do on Facebook and twitter yet a lot of them didn't actually donate to the charity. It was got to the point where the initial message was nearly lost. I know it did a LOT of good but many people just wanted to be in with the cool gang on social media.

While some of the campaigns started on there can be great, I do wonder whether we would have quite the level of disrespect for eachother if it wasn't for the bile that often goes unchecked online and, as a result, whether these campaigns would be needed

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There were Tweets made on the link you provided by a black woman, who was strongly against it who seemed to make the point it's simply 'look at me I'm white and not racist.'

Did whoever started this idea suggest that only white people were allowed to join in then!? :jester:

D

Deleted member 22389

Well now I feel bad!

It was probably just us being cynical *******s. I just don't like things like this as people jump on to them on Social Media and try and make out that they are brilliant because they are wearing a safety pin. It was emphasised by the ice bucket challenge where loads of people did it because it was the thing to do on Facebook and twitter yet a lot of them didn't actually donate to the charity. It was got to the point where the initial message was nearly lost. I know it did a LOT of good but many people just wanted to be in with the cool gang on social media.

While some of the campaigns started on there can be great, I do wonder whether we would have quite the level of disrespect for eachother if it wasn't for the bile that often goes unchecked online and, as a result, whether these campaigns would be needed

Can't stand any of it, just like I can't stand celebrities telling me to dig deep and give to Charity and making everyone feel guilty.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Bunch of ponce.

Have to agree with you on this. You can add all the crap about changing your Facebook profile to a french flag after the shootings in Paris - what a load of nonsense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here