Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We wouldnt score if we played all night

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
It's all very well some fans getting frustrated that we don't get the ball forward quickly, but there really is f*** all to aim at. That was evident everytime we tried to go long tonight and the ball was just gobbled up by a defender

We are crying out for somebody good in the air to get hold of the thing

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We need George Boyd.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Our last shot of the match was on 86 minutes. There was then 8 minutes of injury time.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Does it have to be a target man though? It's just that CMS is isolated, we don't play the ball up in the air to CMS, we play on the ground. It would completely change our style of play.

Tonight we were crying out for someone in the gap between midfield and attack more than anything else. A link such as David Silva for Man City or last season with Elliot Bennet. He would pop up in the gap between the two and give an option to Bridcutt in the midfield.

When CMS receives the ball he is completely on his own, has to hold on to it and ends up laying it off to a wide man. Have someone playing closer to CMS would give us another outlet, be harder to mark, will pull the defence around a bit and move them out of position for wingers to exploit etc. Possibly where Vicente comes into play when he is fit, but we had personel in the likes of Noone or Hoskins who could have played a similar role tonight?

Don't get me wrong, I do think we need a target man for the added option if things aren't working. But I really don't think a target man is the cure to our current problem.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Desperately need a target man

Yeah so when things go wrong after 20 minutes we can start lumping it up to the 'big man'. Sorry mate, I've watched that type of football at Brighton since Chris Cattlin left and I don't want to see it again. I don't mind a target man as long as they play football. CMS is a target man because he does so much, what you are talking about is a Big man up front not a target man.

For the record, I hope we never ever play long ball to a big man ever!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This has got to be the most neg thread I've seen in sometime! So how come after watching the match with a mate who is a West Ham supporter he said he would rather be in Brighton's shoes, playing football!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Might have helped if we had a few players who were willing to try a first time shot rather than allways wanting a 2nd touch or looking for another pass, There was a number of times in the 2nd half last night when the snap shot from just outside the box was on but we never gambled on it. Given the conditions last night it was the ideal game to be testing a keeper from range in the hope that he would've spilled the ball at some point.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Might have helped if we had a few players who were willing to try a first time shot rather than allways wanting a 2nd touch or looking for another pass, There was a number of times in the 2nd half last night when the snap shot from just outside the box was on but we never gambled on it. Given the conditions last night it was the ideal game to be testing a keeper from range in the hope that he would've spilled the ball at some point.

I appreciate you were at the game and I was not, but thats exactly what we thought watching it on the telly.

Good post :thumbsup:

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
It's not about power in the air particularly, although that would be useful. It's about having someone who's good at playing with their back to goal. None of our strikers fit the bill but Gus will sort it. If anyone thinks we've got a poor squad, they can't have been watching for the past 20 years...

This is right. We need a striker who actually wants to come and get the ball, play a little pass back to a forward lying midfielder (ideally Vicente) who can then feed CMS on one of his runs behind the defenders. Instead we usually had two strikers hairing away from the man in possession, making runs where it it impossible to get the ball through to them. Or else Barnes comes and gets the ball but gives it away with his poor first touch.

I do think there is hope though. We just need to make better choices in the final third of the field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here