Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We were an ants whisker from....

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not forgetting Pogba's deflected free kick against us that the 'pundits' called a worldie.

I think that one came off Veltman and then the post.

This was shortlay after Trossard's triple woodwork game.

For some reason the camera panned onto Trossard who seemed to mouth " Oh **** Off"
Summed up exactly what I thought as the commentator continued to wax lyrical about the "magical" free kick.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You almost get the feeling that once we get the hang of scoring then we won't stop.
No one can be that unlucky forever...................or can they ? (Brighton way..etc.)

I think that xG stuff is meant to be an indicator of how well the team is playing, or how well it's likely to do, or something like that. The assumption is that, like luck and bad refereeing/VAR decisions it will balance up over time - and it does for pretty much everybody else; just not us!
I think that many of us thought this balancing out might be starting when we had those wins against Leeds, Spurs and 'Pool, and all the clean sheets - but it was not to be. Maybe it will start to happen again - even a little bit would be welcome! Still think we'll be alright - 17th. or above - come the ed of the season.

kjgood

We were so close to getting results from our last two games. Small percentages that would have seen us on an 8 game unbeaten run having beaten Leeds, Liverpool, Spurs and potentially palace or West brom or both. Can you imagine the euphoria around this place. Yes we have an issue around converting chances but so much is spot on with our side. Confidence seems to be the problem in the 6 yard box and digging out players one by one ain't gonna help. I would just enjoy the roller coaster as it taken me 50 years waiting for a squad, manager, chairman and stadium this good. Hold on tight fellas /girlie's keep your nerve.

But the point is we didn't get results, a really awful defeat to Palace and an even stupider defeat to West Brom Oh we did set a record for penalty misses though. Yes we play nice football and dominate a lot of games and yes its far better to watch than last season and yes I keep thinking ''someones going to get a battering one day'' but we in are in a relegation slide down the league. We've been saying it'll be OK for months but its not alright nothing has got better in front of goal.

But the point is we didn't get results, a really awful defeat to Palace and an even stupider defeat to West Brom Oh we did set a record for penalty misses though. Yes we play nice football and dominate a lot of games and yes its far better to watch than last season and yes I keep thinking ''someones going to get a battering one day'' but we in are in a relegation slide down the league. We've been saying it'll be OK for months but its not alright nothing has got better in front of goal.
2 defeats in last 8 that's better shirley :moo:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've been watching BHA since 1986, and I have never known a season like this, where we have had SO much weird shit going against us. The Man Utd x5 shots on the woodwork, plus losing that game after the final whistle had been blown. Unique. Losing to a massive deflection and a once-in-a-lifetime worldy (Chelsea). The absolute battering of Palace at Selhurst, yet only scraping a point due to Lamptey gave Batshuiyi a dirty look. Losing to a penalty awarded outside the box. Losing to a penalty when it was outside the box whilst we were the ones being (dangerously) fouled. Giving Palace another complete schooling, yet losing to their only two touches in our box. A ref having a complete meltdown, chalking off a perfectly valid (and crucial) equaliser in an incident the likes of which has never been seen before, by anyone, anywhere. And amongst all that, a plethora of muffed chances most League 2 forwards would stick away in their sleep as we've dominated most teams in every stat going, except for the most important one.

Given all that, its actually quite amazing we're not already buried deep in the bottom 3.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
The worry is that this IS our good spell and our form nosedives from now until May.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

We haven't slid down anything. We're pretty much holding station right where we are.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We were so close to getting results from our last two games. Small percentages that would have seen us on an 8 game unbeaten run having beaten Leeds, Liverpool, Spurs and potentially palace or West brom or both. Can you imagine the euphoria around this place. Yes we have an issue around converting chances but so much is spot on with our side. Confidence seems to be the problem in the 6 yard box and digging out players one by one ain't gonna help. I would just enjoy the roller coaster as it taken me 50 years waiting for a squad, manager, chairman and stadium this good. Hold on tight fellas /girlie's keep your nerve.

I agree with all that but it is the pressure that is the problem.
All week they know we need to win the next match to get the points we need but when a goalscoring chance comes along the pressure to score is immense and if it is missed it will get worse.
In normal circumstances if a chance is missed then the striker knows that he will probably get another chance or chances in the game, but we are in such a ridiculous situation, made worse by the missed penalties, that the very first reasonable chance must go in, the pressure to do that is probably why we snatch at those chances and miss, like Connolly did.
It has got so bad that when I watched Leicester v Arsenal on MOTD and Arsenals 3rd goal was a 2 foot tap in to an open goal I said " we would have missed that"
I wonder who else said that.

I've been watching BHA since 1986, and I have never known a season like this, where we have had SO much weird shit going against us. The Man Utd x5 shots on the woodwork, plus losing that game after the final whistle had been blown. Unique. Losing to a massive deflection and a once-in-a-lifetime worldy (Chelsea). The absolute battering of Palace at Selhurst, yet only scraping a point due to Lamptey gave Batshuiyi a dirty look. Losing to a penalty awarded outside the box. Losing to a penalty when it was outside the box whilst we were the ones being (dangerously) fouled. Giving Palace another complete schooling, yet losing to their only two touches in our box. A ref having a complete meltdown, chalking off a perfectly valid (and crucial) equaliser in an incident the likes of which has never been seen before, by anyone, anywhere. And amongst all that, a plethora of muffed chances most League 2 forwards would stick away in their sleep as we've dominated most teams in every stat going, except for the most important one.

Given all that, its actually quite amazing we're not already buried deep in the bottom 3.
Should have been there in 85 what a season???

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Blimey, you're an optimistic sort aren't you!
Could happen, we have a lot of injuries atm, we could and should be gaining enough points for safety but we are not. All this bullshit about we are good enough for a top ten position if.......way off the mark. We are in a battle for survival and without a few key players are less likely to play as well as we have been.

Then again we may start winning if we are playing badly. Here's a bit of optimism......I think we will stay up.....just.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Nice positive post, our performances overall have been good all season and I'm fairly confident we can average a point a game for the remainder of the season.

I also remind myself we haven't been relegated for 15 years despite some pretty awful seasons, our club knows how to survive so I feel like we're up for the fight.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I love all the optimism, but I’m not feeling it myself.

Last edited:

At the Goldstone the moaners generally went in the west stand, the optimistic in the North, the east was for those happy just not to feel the rain on their bonce and the South stand was for a quick exit to the station. And the point is it takes all sorts. Enjoy your football in whatever way you like. :moo:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Oh and xG and stats are completely irrelevant. I think that covers everything. Porter out.

Vaga, I think the "Porter out" thing only really works if people commonly misspell his name, which I'm not sure they do...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The gap between us and Fulham and west brom has closed to one win in Fulham's case from two wins and a draw how is that holding station?

Relegation is upon us, a short while ago we looked comfortable.

We've stayed doing what we do. They have upped their game - or at least their points total. We ain't sliding anywhere; others might be catching up (but they probably won't).

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

A fairly selective view of the season. Look at it the other way: 3 1-0 wins against teams having an off period; a very fortunate 2-1 courtesy of VAR, a draw against Liverpool courtesy of VAR; failure to win any game having conceded first; failure to beat any of the current bottom teams (Wolves downwards) in the last 11 (ELEVEN) attempts, scoring 7 goals in the process. That is the weird shit. I think 7/2 on relegation is about right so lets keep calm, but lets not think we are so close to shooting stars. For sure, odd games leave you wondering but not 11.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here