Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] We want our Marbles back, we want our Marbles back...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This was Elgin's justification, that he was forced to take the marbles to stop the Greeks from destroying their most iconic monument. You have to ask why the part of the frieze left behind by Elgin has remained largely intact, if they were hell bent on destroying it? Elgin's claims are highly dubious, and not helped by him using the marbles to decorate his own private stately home in Scotland. It was only after he got into severe money trouble that he offered them to the British Museum at a knockdown price.

Elgin's cultural vandalism caused outrage in Britain in the early 1800s, even before he’d managed to transport the treasures back to his property in Scotland
I wonder if it's yet another situation where if you think it's simple then you don't really understand the facts and history.
I wonder if it's yet another situation where if you think it's simple then you don't really understand the facts and history :shrug:

Yes indeed. Think about your own words.
I did 'think about my own words', hence the part of my post you somehow managed to edit out before quoting it :wink:

I wonder if it's yet another situation where if you think it's simple then you don't really understand the facts and history :shrug:

(And I certainly don't, just giving the other side as I heard it :wink:)

Last edited:

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
To be fair most of the western museums would be emptied. Certainly the Berlin and Louvre have more Greek artefacts than we have.

this is a fundamental question about property rights

btw. Pausanias visiting Athens didnt even mention the frieze( the marbles) It was so insignificant
Anatolian philistine

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As a Brit, I was embarrassed in the museum, seeing the big gaps in the frieze. Elgin took about half of it. What I’m embarrassed about is our continuing refusal to return them, not so much by Elgin's initial action, which may or may not have been legitimate. It’s not hard to feel embarrassed by what your countrymen do. It’s something most of us feel during international football tournaments, particularly in Europe. We have a long history of behaving badly overseas.
The Germans and Romans are right up there too.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
What’s embarrassing is the fact that the Tories see this as part of the culture war. Sunak has now snubbed the Greek PM who is in the country and was about to meet him.

The Greeks think we’ve gone mad.
We have gone mad.
We voted these bastds in
Well I did’t at least

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No 10 saying that the Greeks promised not to mention the Marbles. But they did. Shocking. I am writing to my MP and screaming for a policeman all in one go.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
This sets up an episode of the Grand Tour in Greece nicely. Clarkson and co to film there using a car with the registration ELG 1 N

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
This argument has been going on for bloody years....not just with the tories.
We as a nation of hoarders must stop holding on to all this old shit, I mean, when was the last time anybody played marbles? :shrug:
Give all the plunder back to whoever wants it and lets sort out the worlds problems from this century

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And yet strangely Greece still has some of them unburned. I call that story as BS.
I’d not heard the “they were burning them” bit before either.

but even if Elgin did rescue them, I would agree they should go back to where they belong.

The same for the Benin bronzes. We were at the British Museum at one point earlier in the year and sought the Benin bronzes out - much more interesting and attractive (glorious) than the Elgin Marbles, certainly giving the lie to anybody who thought Africans were savages before we (and others) started exporting them to the Americas.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve still got the kids marbles in the loft.
They can have them if it’ll stop the Greeks bleating on.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve still got the kids marbles in the loft.
They can have them if it’ll stop the Greeks bleating on.
Marbles was big when I was a nipper. At primary school we had a kid who sat on a manhole cover and charged two small marbles to take it off him. It was annoying as he didn’t even play. I bet he became an entrepreneur or a loan shark.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Marbles was big when I was a nipper. At primary school we had a kid who sat on a manhole cover and charged two small marbles to take it off him. It was annoying as he didn’t even play. I bet he became an entrepreneur or a loan shark.
Huh?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I wonder if the reason why the British Museum isn't keen on the idea is to do with the slew of claims, from similarly pillaged nations which is follow if a precedent is set.
Exactly that.

Then the Falklands, GIbraltar ….

In isolation of course the Elgin Marbles should be returned, but he doesn’t want to be the one kick starting a firestorm on everything else.

I found it interesting that when Napoleon was born in Corsica, it was part of Italy. I have never heard great claims on returning Corsica to Italy, the French seem to get away with such things in a way we do not! But I admit I don’t know the full story here.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Exactly that.

In isolation of course the Elgin Marbles should be returned, but he doesn’t want to be the one kick starting a firestorm on everything else.

I found it interesting that when Napoleon was born in Corsica, it was part of Italy. I have never heard great claims on returning Corsica to Italy, the French seem to get away with such things in a way we do not! But I admit I don’t know the full story here.
Ha agree. We probably should be giving York back to the Danes and Norwegians sometime soon as well :)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I remember I was on a cruise in 1971, and the then Greek actress Melina Mercouri was giving a talk about Athens. Even as a 12 year old, I remember her extraordinary passion about the Elgin marbles being returned to their home.

She later became Minister for Culture and died in 1994, never achieving their return to Athens.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Exactly that.

Italy did not exist as a political entity back then and Corsica is a territory rather than shit that was nicked way back when. For proper French bashing maybe talk about all the loot they took from Italy under Napoleon and in the centuries before then.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
simple solution:
We make plaster casts of the bits we have and send them the originals with a fanfare and hoo-hah. They make plaster casts of the bits they have and send them to us. We both then have wonderful exhibits, a great story, redemption and this chapter is closed.
Would I care if the bit in London is fake? I seem to remember the dinosaur skeleton in the Natural history museum was fake - plaster cast - but everyone loved Dippy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here