Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] We want our Marbles back, we want our Marbles back...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
They'll be singing it on the terraces of Athens...

Personally I'd let them have them back. One of life's disappointments was discovering these were not marbles as the man on the street would imagine them. Boring.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Would the British Museum have anything left if all the pilfered stuff was returned ?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Personally I'd let them have them back. One of life's disappointments was discovering these were not marbles as the man on the street would imagine them. Boring.
Totally agree on the return of items to the Greeks.
Long overdue IMO.
They were never ours in the first place.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would the British Museum have anything left if all the pilfered stuff was returned ?
Perhaps it would be better if the British Museum just displayed British stuff!

(I have seen the Elgin Marbles and must confess I found them pretty boring and uninspiring, and personally couldn't care less what we did with them, or who had them).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I genuinely don’t understand the argument for us keeping them. They only came here just over a century ago, and it’s not like Greece is a country where stuff is really at risk if it’s returned. Just feels like a chance for politicians to play Billy Big Bollocks about something.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

‘You can stick your ****ing marbles up your arse‘ ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've been round the Parthenon and Acropolis Museum today. The missing marbles are a really big deal here and should be returned. Elgin's vandalism was really dreadful and embarrassing.
I agree 100%. It was vandalism by the British.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My son told me that the British side of the story was that Elgin originally took a team to take casts and drawings of the marble parts of the Parthenon that had fallen. It was during this that he found the marble structures that had fallen were being burned to obtain lime for further building.

He then decided at this point to 'save' the originals, together with pieces from Erechtheion, the Propylaia and the Temple of Athena Nike and that had he not, they wouldn't still be in existence as they would have been burnt for the lime.

I wonder if it's yet another situation where if you think it's simple then you don't really understand the facts and history :shrug:

(And I certainly don't, just giving the other side as I heard it :wink:)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My son told me that the British side of the story was that Elgin originally took a team to take casts and drawings of the marble parts of the Parthenon that had fallen. It was during this that he found the marble structures that had fallen were being burned to obtain lime for further building.

He then decided at this point to 'save' the originals, together with pieces from Erechtheion, the Propylaia and the Temple of Athena Nike and that had he not, they wouldn't still be in existence as they would have been burnt for the lime.

I wonder if it's yet another situation where if you think it's simple then you don't really understand the facts and history :shrug:

There are some still attached to the Parthenon. Amazing after all these years.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be fair most of the western museums would be emptied. Certainly the Berlin and Louvre have more Greek artefacts than we have.

this is a fundamental question about property rights

btw. Pausanias visiting Athens didnt even mention the frieze( the marbles) It was so insignificant

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
To be fair most of the western museums would be emptied. Certainly the Berlin and Louvre have more Greek artefacts than we have.

this is a fundamental question about property rights

btw. Pausanias visiting Athens didnt even mention the frieze( the marbles) It was so insignificant

I was waiting for Pausanias view on it. Someone has been educated :wink:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I've been round the Parthenon and Acropolis Museum today. The missing marbles are a really big deal here and should be returned. Elgin's vandalism was really dreadful and embarrassing.
Embarrassing! Really? Embarrassing………. :facepalm:

Whilst handing them back is probably the correct thing to do now, how in Jesus’ name were you embarrassed by this? It happened before you were born. Unless Elgin actually was a member of your family of course? 😛

Awaits being reported for blasphemy now.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

In the same way our Empire used to find employment for Africans 200 years ago.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Embarrassing! Really? Embarrassing………. :facepalm:

Whilst handing them back is probably the correct thing to do now, how in Jesus’ name were you embarrassed by this? It happened before you were born. Unless Elgin actually was a member of your family of course? 😛

Awaits being reported for blasphemy now.
What’s embarrassing is the fact that the Tories see this as part of the culture war. Sunak has now snubbed the Greek PM who is in the country and was about to meet him.

The Greeks think we’ve gone mad.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

On another note, it’s the duty of a Prime Minister to meet heads of State. Cancelling a meeting, apart from a national disaster, is just plain rude. Have the meeting, mumble some diplomatic niceties, and leave it at that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here