Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to start to show more faith in youngsters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Crystal Palace and Southampton have great academies but they've lost a number of players over the years despite guaranteeing first team action to their graduates. You will always lose one or two, the main thing is to get the best price and reinvest wisely.

If Walton joined Arsenal he'd spend the whole of the next year being third string at best learning the Arsenal ways, he might get a bit of loan football in the lower leagues if he's lucky. If the club really do rate Walton then maybe replacing PIG with a quality keeper in his mid-30s might be the way to go so that the door would be open in 1-2 years?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Joe Hart played for Man City when he was 18/19, but he had played for the England U19s by then, oh, wait a minute!

He had already played a season of league football or more for shrewsbury when city bought him, then he went out on loan for a couple of seasons at least i believe befoer City played him.
I reckon he was 22 before he got in the City team

According to wikipedia He started as a schoolboy at Shrewsbury. Played a few games between 2003 and 2005, and became their number one for the 2005/6 season. He was then signed by Man city before the next season started. He made a first team appearance when both other keepers were injured, in October 2006 (aged 19). He spent a month on loan with Tranmere the following January 2007, then a month or so with Blackpool in April 2007. He initially became number one for Man City on return from that loan spell, but became number two when Shay Given Arrived in January 2009.

He then went out on loan with Birmingham for the 2009/10 season. His return to man city the following season saw him establish himself as number one choice.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Oscar clearly had more faith in the youngsters than Poyet. I think we did really well developing and showing faith in our younger players.
Now is the time to "advertise" the academy by playing a very "youthful" side for the next few seasons.

This season:
Monakano needs to make the first moves up to 1st team
Chicksen needs to become a regular
Solly, Ince, JFC & Dunk all regular 1st team players

& Walton needs to move up to No2 under whichever senior keeper is brought in (Ank to be No3 or sold on!)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think we have shown the right level of faith in youngsters over the last year or so.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't disagree although your phrase "if he's prepared to wait" will depend largely on who is advising him. I can hear "You may as well warm the bench at Arsenal as Brighton, and for more money". It's always going to be a fine balance keeping younger good players happy whilst playing a strong side that can win things, I just hope we get the balance right and our Academy doesn't become a feeder for bigger clubs.

Yep the choice will be that we either play him, or send him out on loan, or he goes to Arsenal, and then they send him out on loan. The difference being is that Arsenal will pay him more money.

I would be happy to see him start the season on the pitch and see how he gets on, and if he cannot handle it put Anks back in, but basically let the two fight it out and put the best one in on merit not age.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yep the choice will be that we either play him, or send him out on loan, or he goes to Arsenal, and then they send him out on loan. The difference being is that Arsenal will pay him more money.

I would be happy to see him start the season on the pitch and see how he gets on, and if he cannot handle it put Anks back in, but basically let the two fight it out and put the best one in on merit not age.

Agreed

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Iker Casillas made his first team debut for Spain at 19. With keepers it appears that the good ones usually have a great couple of seasons early on and then struggle for a bit of form before either coming good or completely disappearing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Was good at that age sadly now at only 33 he is a spent force and a liability.

I agree with those who say dont rush Walton let him learn his trade and he will come good when needed. Rush him through and he could lose confidence making a couple of errors, and jeopardize his promising future.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With the apparent interest from Arsenal & City in Walton I feel strongly that we need to start to show more faith in our youngsters. We all saw how Solly developed into his first team role last season and how Ince and others have started to shine. If we have a new Academy & Training Ground and we are possibly deemed to be a better club to develop at we need to show people that we have faith in the younger players.

What better way of doing this than installing Walton as our No 1?
I agree with your general point and principle. We should give the young players a chance and be seen as a club where players get the chance. I don't know how good Walton is now though, and goalie is a tricky position, as a club like us can't have another top goalie as backup (whereas we can have spare top players in outfield positions, and rotate them).

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I would like to see Walton as a number 2 learning the ropes from an experienced number one and starting in cup games. This would step up his development and be the right move at what is the start if his senior career. He may go to arsenal which I think would be shortsighted on his behalf

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Was good at that age sadly now at only 33 he is a spent force and a liability.

I agree with those who say dont rush Walton let him learn his trade and he will come good when needed. Rush him through and he could lose confidence making a couple of errors, and jeopardize his promising future.

Are you referring to Casillas? A bad game, and who knows World Cup? But he still won the a champions league medal this year, not bad for a spent force, it will look great next to the other medals for a world cup and 2 European cups and countless domestic honours......:ffsparr:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Agree Southampton are the model to copy which to be fair with the new training facility looks to be the way we are moving, long term project over short term gain should be the way forward.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Play him and give him his chance. I it works it's inspired, if not he will have learnt a lot and will come back stronger as well as putting off a few of the big fish. FFP will mean that all clubs will have to start bring in the youngsters, fortunately for us LFC have started it and seems to be working. Long term wise not sure but lets wait and see.
Thinking back to D-Day and what the young lads had to do, a few first team championship games should be a doddle.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I hope we get to see more of a fit Monakana this season and hopefully the progression of Glen Rae to the senior squad.

Time also to look to get Maksimenko covering left side of defence as LB or CB.

Hmmm.
Monakana publically slagged off for his lack of effort whilst on loan at Crawley. He needs to sort himself out before reaching our first team squad.
Rea I admit I don't know but hope he progresses.
100% agree re Maxi, but still don't know his best position - is it LB or CB?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't disagree although your phrase "if he's prepared to wait" will depend largely on who is advising him. I can hear "You may as well warm the bench at Arsenal as Brighton, and for more money". It's always going to be a fine balance keeping younger good players happy whilst playing a strong side that can win things, I just hope we get the balance right and our Academy doesn't become a feeder for bigger clubs.

He would definitely NOT warm the bench at Arsenal or Man City. He could do so here. That's the difference; possible 2nd choice here, or 4th?/5th? choice at a major Prem club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Too risky for me. Personally, I would re-sign / replace TK. Replacement has to be of similar ability to TK. Walton at number 2. Release Anks.

TaxiRichieUK

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Walton will not develope anymore as a player in the development squad, he needs regular first team action this season, whether we choose to rotate him with Ankergren ? surely there must be a reason why we chose to keep Anks

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Hmmm.
Monakana publically slagged off for his lack of effort whilst on loan at Crawley. He needs to sort himself out before reaching our first team squad.
Rea I admit I don't know but hope he progresses.
100% agree re Maxi, but still don't know his best position - is it LB or CB?

I think the Crawley manager commented on his lack of fitness rather than his effort. Gregory later apologised for his comments.
Having seen him 2 or 3 times for the DS I do think he would give us KLL type options on the right wing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here