Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] We Buy Any Car

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I used them and have no complaints , sold my mini for £4800 offer was maybe £400 below selling private (worth hassle, advertising, stupid offers, haggling, etc). It also needed two new tyres, boot opening didn’t work nor did the cigarette lighter, (they didn’t pick up any of this but did take off £32 for two small dents/scratches) so I’d have told anyone buying private these issues and would have ended taking of more. Cash came in 3 days, could have had it immediately for something like £20.

When trading in I use the webuyanycar value as the lowest amount I’ll accept, Jaguar dealer told me that’s what they do as well (but they go straight to its parent company British Car Auctions)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That email is from webuyurcar not we buy any car. Different company.
Beat me to it.

A few years ago I had to get rid of a car (massive potential bill to pass an MOT) - got a better price from We Scrap Any Car than we-buy-any-car offered!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So which company is the OP talking about then?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We got a perfectly fair price for my father-in-laws car, and they made no ‘last minute’ attempts to reduce the price when they collected it. Worked well for us.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Any companies who faces up with so called trusted TV celeb are to be avoided. Wolves in sheepskin jackets.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Any companies who faces up with so called trusted TV celeb are to be avoided. Wolves in sheepskin jackets.
Harsh.

fairey.png

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
As good a place as any - sorry for the side track.

It'll come as a surprise to many but I'm a big fan of Mat Armstrong's content on The Youtube.
Naturally I then get pushed into similar rabbitholes, most of which I ignore, but this fella does get the odd view.

Mainly because he seems to get stupidly cheap cars that are reported as faulty/written off/handed back/auctioned - only to have feck all wrong with them.
He had an early Audi SUV for a grand which needed it's suspension cleaned, actually physically cleaned with Fairy Liquid, and it was fine. Increasing it's value up to a still cheap 8k.

Anyhoo, this one has stuck with (really annoyed) me.

I guess it's an age thing, I should see it as a warning sign for impending red corduroy trousers and instantly run away.
But the only car that could tempt me away from bicycles, trains and Greta would be a 2 seater Merc, of age, as I'm not made of money.
Hence my grumbling at one being sold for £2,800 that appears to be in remarkably good condition.

I am something of a Mercedes SL nerd (putting it mildly) and I would not recommend an R230 SL500 unless you particularly like the shape over all other car buying considerations.

In short, the build quality is quite poor and the ABC suspension can be inherently unreliable and very costly to repair if you don't or can't maintain the vehicle yourself. Coil overs are I believe an option to replace the ADS but then you are upsetting the purists.

An old £100K car still has the running costs of a £100K car without the benefit of the manufacturer's warranty for the first X years.

If you look at sold prices, you will see its predecessor, the R129 holds it's value much better particularly the Gen 1 and Gen 2 models (1990-1998) before the Daimler Chrysler "merger" when MB production stopped being run by the engineers and the bean counters took over. The R129 SL500s up to 1998 have the bulletproof M119 engine.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like any further info.

EDIT - I just found this link to a car sold at auction in September which looks like an absolute steal:

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was offered about £600 for my old car, which I accepted.
At the office they did a 'check' on it, and found so many little things to push the price down, I was offered £109, which I reluctantly accepted.

About a month later I got a parking ticket for £100 for dodgy parking outside the office. Filled in the 'contest this claim' form, but haven't heard back yet...

I may end up with just £9 for it, or less. :(
Sue them . . . One of the reasons they low ball is to 'protect' against this kind of thing.

do some ebay/autotrader searching, screen grabs, and do a small claims . . . You've effectively been scammed!

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Sorry if she has passed, I am none the wiser and clearly not on my A list. Who is she?
Actually just found out she’s still alive.
She’s called Nanette Newman and is a BAFTA winning actress appearing in numerous films (and Fairy liquid adverts) She’s from an era when celebs were just that, the wife is presently watching that jungle shite and to call some of them “celebrities” is laughable/insulting.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As good a place as any - sorry for the side track.

It'll come as a surprise to many but I'm a big fan of Mat Armstrong's content on The Youtube.
Naturally I then get pushed into similar rabbitholes, most of which I ignore, but this fella does get the odd view.

Mainly because he seems to get stupidly cheap cars that are reported as faulty/written off/handed back/auctioned - only to have feck all wrong with them.
He had an early Audi SUV for a grand which needed it's suspension cleaned, actually physically cleaned with Fairy Liquid, and it was fine. Increasing it's value up to a still cheap 8k.

Anyhoo, this one has stuck with (really annoyed) me.

I guess it's an age thing, I should see it as a warning sign for impending red corduroy trousers and instantly run away.
But the only car that could tempt me away from bicycles, trains and Greta would be a 2 seater Merc, of age, as I'm not made of money.
Hence my grumbling at one being sold for £2,800 that appears to be in remarkably good condition.

Mercs are cheap rust buckets these days, nothing like the quality they made up to the late 80's

like most they've been sucked up by a massive corporation, and draggeded down to the competitive market.

they've always been old man cars though, so I suppose most of us fit in, if you really feel the need.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was offered about £600 for my old car, which I accepted.
At the office they did a 'check' on it, and found so many little things to push the price down, I was offered £109, which I reluctantly accepted.

You did what? They tried the same trick with a family members car - offered her about £600 too, which was a bit low but she accepted. Then when she took it in they 'found things' and offered her less. She said no and walked away. They were chasing her out the building to get her to accept the £600. She said no, she was not best pleased they had tried it on, so she sold it to my brother for £500.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I had a 21 year old Yaris which could have been kept on the road but due to my illness became a liability, I toyed with the idea of Webuyanycar but in the end a scrappage firm collected it and gave me £200.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Oh agree completely. Just wanted a rough, obviously low, idea of value. Would never actually sell to them.
I've bought and sold 10 cars in the last 4 years, 2 of them classics, car&classic, ebay and autotrader are about the best reference points.

Do your homework and pitch it just over, then accept an offer which is what you want. Or something like that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here