Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are still trying to make new signings right?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Every year it’s the same though and we seem to scrape by. I am sure we’ll get players in but they aren’t going to be ones in demand, in fact we’ll probably never have heard of them before we are on the cusp of signing them. If you are looking for an up and coming name, you are going to be disappointed. You have been through enough transfer windows to know this, you should have the hang of it by now

I fear disappointment awaits you AGAIN! :lolol:

For the oldies still around I fear a George Curtis re run. The similarities and the expectation of both Curtis and Potter is unbelievable. For those who don't know, Curtis built up a successful name for bringing on youth in football in Scandinavia, the club wanted him to do the same here. Two relegations later he was gone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
League one to Prem (and staying there) in less than 10 years.

Happy to "scrape by" as you put it

I am referring to transfer window player signings but yes we have scraped by for the past two seasons don’t you think?

Hoping to see a scraping by with some entertainment this year then I will be very happy with one place off the relegation zone.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I would say it's hard to say what players we need, as no one is sure what formation Potter wants to play. Under Hughton we always knew it would likely be 4-4-1-1, but Potter has a history of playing different formations so who knows what he needs? Makes this coming season more interesting

exactly right. Under Hughton we could pretty much know exactly what we need but we don't know how we will play , formations or anything.

Potter has a history of playing numberous formations ....... PER GAME

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Trossard could be seen as competition for Gross - depends how he wants to play really. You're right on Bruno, but I suspect Montoya is going to be much better this year. He was always known as an attacking full-back, but didn't seem to get the chance to attack last season and his crossing stats were some of the best in the league when he was allowed.

I'm bang on with you on the need for a striker. I like Andone, and not sure about Locadia. It would feel wrong going into this season without a quality striker.

Notwithstanding most of our hopes that another striker is signed, who would you go with up front from the 6 strikers we currently have?

Murray / Hemed / Locadia / Andone / Connolly / Gyokeres ?

Or do you think GP will try 2 up top? My feeling is that Andone will come good this season and be our main goal threat.

Stumpy Tim

Notwithstanding most of our hopes that another striker is signed, who would you go with up front from the 6 strikers we currently have?

Murray / Hemed / Locadia / Andone / Connolly / Gyokeres ?

Or do you think GP will try 2 up top?

Based on what I've seen, Murray and/or Andone start up-front - potentially together. But I think we need to sign someone to do Murray's job

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
League one to Prem (and staying there) in less than 10 years.

Happy to "scrape by" as you put it

I'm not.

Ambition needs to be maintained. Looking backwards on what we've achieved is a recipe for disaster.

"we finished bottom, but hey, it doesn't matter. Look what we've achieved in the last 10 years"

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For the oldies still around I fear a George Curtis re run. The similarities and the expectation of both Curtis and Potter is unbelievable. For those who don't know, Curtis built up a successful name for bringing on youth in football in Scandinavia, the club wanted him to do the same here. Two relegations later he was gone.

There's a huge difference you seem to have forgotten. Curtis' football philosophy was entirely based on stopping the other team scoring - if they didn't score you could either get a 0-0 draw, or you'd win.
Curtis was as defensive as Hughton at his most defensive, and then some. Moreover, that's how he wanted it to be, so I can guarantee that if Potter does turn out to be anything like George Curtis, there will be some desperately disappointed and miserable people on here!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
There's a huge difference you seem to have forgotten. Curtis' football philosophy was entirely based on stopping the other team scoring - if they didn't score you could either get a 0-0 draw, or you'd win.
Curtis was as defensive as Hughton at his most defensive, and then some. Moreover, that's how he wanted it to be, so I can guarantee that if Potter does turn out to be anything like George Curtis, there will be some desperately disappointed and miserable people on here!

What I do remember was his bringing in young players, Curtis Cubs as they were known and dropping established first team players. He dropped Club Captain Roy Jennings for a 19 year old Norman Gall and had the Goldstone fans chanting for the return of Jennings. He had one youngster a right back Syd Jest who was a complete disaster, but Gall and Powney were the only great successes he did bring into the team. Those two were the only bright spots of his disastrous reign. I truly hope Potter works out better.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The nbr of fans on here still living in a Withdean L1 land is shocking...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would say it's hard to say what players we need, as no one is sure what formation Potter wants to play. Under Hughton we always knew it would likely be 4-4-1-1, but Potter has a history of playing different formations so who knows what he needs? Makes this coming season more interesting

A slightly more defensive 4-2-3-1.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Glad to see people are finally beginning to wake up to the disaster the club is sleepwalking towards.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Glad to see people are finally beginning to wake up to the disaster the club are sleepwalking towards.

Tell you what if you're right, and we are far worse than last year I'll congratulate you on your insight and projection. But if we do well (that's avoid relegation and play some decent football) you'd better bloody hold your hands up high and say what a whining bitch you were as my god I'm hovvering over the ignore button.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Tell you what if you're right, and we are far worse than last year I'll congratulate you on your insight and projection. But if we do well (that's avoid relegation and play some decent football) you'd better bloody hold your hands up high and say what a whining bitch you were as my god I'm hovvering over the ignore button.

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
If we don’t make at least a new first team striker signing I think we’re doomed tbh- squad not strong enough based on current players

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here