Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We are shambolic

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Am I just being grumpy and seeing what I want to see or:-

Every time Bournemouth attacked from deep, they only every passed forwards and had at least 5 players IN FRONT of the ball.

Stockdale floats a delightful pass to Bruno's feet, just inside their half.
The ball is back with Never Buy A Bike From Him within 3 passes.

Buy all the goal scorers you want, but if we refuse to move the ball forward, we ain't gonna score.
Yes, but surely you understand that playing this way improves our percentage of possession, as well as giving us a much higher pass completion rate. This is the way ahead for modern football - it's just unfortunate that we keep on coming up against teams that don't understand this simple concept ......

Green Man

Dec 22, 2014
BN2
THIS!

Until we start moving forward with pace nothing will change

This totally. Forced to watch the game from my sickbed so I may not be in the most positive frame of mind, but tonight epitomised all the usual problems. When we have the chance to break we either take half a dozen sideways passes until the opposing defenders are back in position, or one player carries the ball forward only to find no one else within 50 yards of the box. Though being able to keep the ball under the bar when you shoot might help too . , .

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
More clueless than shambolic.

If we had played till midnight we still wouldn't have scored, but it's been like that since Christmas.
We are pedestrian in moving forward. You can't blame the sole striker up front, whoever, it is. How many chances do they get? Shambolic? Hyypia & Houghton are close to the mark with their dull tactics. Bring back Jones & the passion.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The idea is to bore the opposition team into complete submission we pass around aimlessly for as long as it takes until the the opposition loss the will to live and then we score. Unfortunately the plan includes us having to score.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
It seems like every team we play against has pace and can go from defending to attacking quickly. We never do it instead it's always side ways, back, back and today especially back to Stockdale to lump it forward. Bruno is the worst in my opinion, he may have a good touch or flick but he knows he can't beat a man so always goes back. Calderon is the same. In fact the only player that can beat a player and tries to move forward , lua lua only comes on after 70 minutes when everyone else is too knackered to keep up.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anyone around here saying "It's not Hyypia's fault, though. It's the players." a few months ago would have been -- was -- roundly slated.

Funny that...

I think when we get some distance from the pain of this season, people are going to be kinda to Hyypia and his reign.

Not shambolic for me - the game looked to be drifting to a draw after we had the better of much of the play. But Kayal going off completely removed our edge in midfield and then after having defended well against their main two wingers, we then bizarrely let the unknown substitude one waltz through. Best had a better chance to score than the one that Wilson took - but there is a yawning gap in class between those two players.

A manager can set his team up with the right formation and tactics but he can never overcome yawning chasms in class. Even a below par B'muff team are much better than us, we need to look at their recruitment methods and learn.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you're being very kind to them. In attack, they looked ordinary for 70 minutes, kept mis-placing passes and were continuously being robbed in midfield. Trouble is we panic when we get near the opposition's box, and they didn't.
If I agreed with you, my point would still stand.

It felt like at least, the person mis-placing passes or continuously being robbed in midfield was doing so, on the 'front foot'.
He'd either taken the ball quickly forward from deep or had received the ball quickly.
Not only that, irrespective of the error/break down play, there were always options ahead of the ball.

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
Then we may have another walker. Keep losing managers as fast as we do and we wouldn't even be able to recruit Mike Appleton. Said the other day. The Brighton job in itself is becoming a poison chalice.

I agree, if the club do not provide him with the players he wants, he will have no choice but to manage elsewhere.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not shambolic for me - the game looked to be drifting to a draw after we had the better of much of the play. But Kayal going off completely removed our edge in midfield and then after having defended well against their main two wingers, we then bizarrely let the unknown substitude one waltz through. Best had a better chance to score than the one that Wilson took - but there is a yawning gap in class between those two players.

A manager can set his team up with the right formation and tactics but he can never overcome yawning chasms in class. Even a below par B'muff team are much better than us, we need to look at their recruitment methods and learn.

I have heard that there recruitment methods are quite complicated. Apparently their manager sees good players and then asks if the money is available to buy them. If it is they usually get their man.

Bognor Seagull

Dec 2, 2011
Given that we have been in the playoffs in the past two seasons, given our crowd attendances, given that the club know what this division is like (after all it is our 4th consecutive season in the championship), given that the club knew what our deficiencies have been for a couple of years -------

This season has been nothing other than shambolic!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
We chased well. We closed down well. We didn't let them play and we worked hard. Lots to like last night - sadly goal scoring wasn't there. Also the two goals were our mistakes

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Bournemouth "didn't turn up" because we did not let them. We were all over them in midfield until Kayal went off, which was the turning point of the game. No, we didn't create a lot of chances but that is not a new problem. Stephens had 2 good ones, the Best one and Carayal's run were the highlights (he needed to get his head up as Tex was free on the left).
Halford was good in defence until Wilson was allowed to run at him, but that was a very classy finish. Yet again, Dunk did not look like a PL defender.

I can understand the frustration of those that have watched that sort of performance all year. We desperately need some guile and cool heads up front - Carayal looks like he can offer something though. Best was better than I thought he would be having read NSC for the last 2 weeks, but he is not the answer. We need to clone Kayal as he is excellent. An interesting summer ahead as lots of work to do for our rearranged recruitment team.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Bournemouth "didn't turn up" because we did not let them. We were all over them in midfield until Kayal went off, which was the turning point of the game. No, we didn't create a lot of chances but that is not a new problem. Stephens had 2 good ones, the Best one and Carayal's run were the highlights (he needed to get his head up as Tex was free on the left).
Halford was good in defence until Wilson was allowed to run at him, but that was a very classy finish. Yet again, Dunk did not look like a PL defender.

I can understand the frustration of those that have watched that sort of performance all year. We desperately need some guile and cool heads up front - Carayal looks like he can offer something though. Best was better than I thought he would be having read NSC for the last 2 weeks, but he is not the answer. We need to clone Kayal as he is excellent. An interesting summer ahead as lots of work to do for our rearranged recruitment team.

That's because Dunk is not a premier League defender in waiting as many on here believe. For some reason because he's young and came through our youth system people reckon he's worth £5m and a premier league player.

D

Deleted member 22389

Arguably both goals were stupid mistakes.

Did we really create a 'great' chance, that had you on the edge of your seat? Stephens snap shot, CMS when their goalie slipped was close, but other than that.

Texeirra back to his normal headless chicken routine and created nothing.

That's been the story of CMS since we got him, close but just not close enough. Frustrating for him, frustrating for us. Doesn't matter what we do not one single manager has managed to get the best out of him.

Tex, I'm not bothered if he doesn't come back, no point in having a player like that if there is no quality around him.

Baldock, I like him and he was starting to score until he got injured which is typical of our luck this season.

Hope there are some real changes next season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That's been the story of CMS since we got him, close but just not close enough. Frustrating for him, frustrating for us. Doesn't matter what we do not one single manager has managed to get the best out of him.

Tex, I'm not bothered if he doesn't come back, no point in having a player like that if there is no quality around him.

Baldock, I like him and he was starting to score until he got injured which is typical of our luck this season.

Hope there are some real changes next season.

Good call re Baldock, he seemed to be settling down into his new position when he got injured. I would also throw in a question as to whether we off-loaded Colunga too quickly, particularly given we are creating nothing and although have different players have actually gained nothing with Best.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Good call re Baldock, he seemed to be settling down into his new position when he got injured. I would also throw in a question as to whether we off-loaded Colunga too quickly, particularly given we are creating nothing and although have different players have actually gained nothing with Best.

I believe we offloaded Calunga far too quickly. At least he could score .... and we have brough in nothing but rubbish to replace him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here