Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Proper, considered post - thanks. I agree with nearly all of this - I still feel as though we treated CH badly at the end, but am so enjoying the football this year. And even at 2-0 down yesterday, as Klopp said in his interview, we 'didn't care about the score - just carried on playing the way we wanted to and made it difficult'. And the 'way we want to' is extremely pleasing and positive.
This for me in a nutshell. Excited by the football this season and although CH was a legend for us we move on, hopefully onto bigger and better things. Potterball is exciting and it may well go pear shaped for us yet but there is an air of excitement around the club I am so glad we appointed Potter and not one of the usual suspects.:O

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Does he mention about his goalie having cold feet and that in future they are going to be better prepared and sellotape hot water bottles to his feet

He has a cheek complaining about the 'fairness' of the free kick. We only had a free kick rather than a goal because of Allison's disregard for 'fairness'. In rugby we would have been awarded a penalty try and gone on to win 4-2, even if Dunk had missed the conversion. (I got a bit confused somewhere along this analogy).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is this still going on ?

Southampton ( Home ) - loss

Bournemouth ( Home ) - humiliated

Cardiff ( Home ) - Must win ( until Fulham got us out of jail ) - loss

Newcastle ( Home ) - draw with one of the worst half performances the Amex has seen.

Dire. Sacked, and rightly so.

Indeed. Could have added utter capitulation away at a shitehouse Fulham, chucking away a 2 goal lead at West Ham, embarrassing performance of 11-men-behind-the-ball hoofball away at Spurs..........etc

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
SSN today said that Allison will now miss the Merseyside derby. Surely he'll miss three games for a straight red, won't he?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
SSN today said that Allison will now miss the Merseyside derby. Surely he'll miss three games for a straight red, won't he?

No, it's only a 3 game ban for a straight red for violent conduct. Red cards for anything else, or 2 yellow cards are just 1 game bans.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I've got to admit, I do wish we'd start launching long balls down the pitch a bit more like last season. I did like seeing how far our players could clear the ball. Last season I remember Bissouma playing a lovely weighted pass down the right flank to no one giving us that extra minute to regroup and get some oxygen back. Looks like our players have lost the confidence and self belief of last season.

Anyone notice Propper seems to be showing off far more this season than last? What happened to him only passing it back to Dunk like last season? He's even starting to shoot which only puts our team under more pressure. Anyone starting to think this could be a sign our players are starting to get above the manager?

Last edited:

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I’d argue that when it comes to managerial appointments and footballing philosophy, it’s all about timing. Would Potterball have been the way to go immediately after we were promoted? I’d say ‘no’: when you’re new to the Premier League it’s better to try and walk before you run, stick with what you know, play it safe for a couple of years, then push the envelope.

Can’t we just be thankful to have had CH, an excellent defensive coach and also a top bloke get us in to the Premier League and keep us up against the odds, and now also be happy to be in a new phase of development, watching more expansive football under Potter? It’s not a question of who’s better - just a question of what does / did the club need in order to move to the next stage of its development. And with the exception of Hyypia, Tony has got his judgement calls just about right so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
By your own admission you don’t go to games, if you did I can pretty well guarantee you’d have a deeper understanding of why people wanted a change. It’s so easy to watch on at stream or tv and then get on with your life, actually going to a game takes effort and to be served the same boring fare pretty well every game against every team, with no variation in tactics and seldom getting out of your own half is another thing altogether.
Given that I live in another country (and the far side of it at that) and shouldn't fly on medical advice - it is a bit difficult to get to every home game for me - but hey - if you don't go to every game then your are not a real fan because that requires effort and you feel the frustration of not playing entertaining football.

Long distance posturing on a forum defending the old manager whilst predicting doom and gloom for the new one, who most Brighton fans have taken to is hardly going to endear you to any of them. You are not a Brighton fan so you have no allegiance to the team only an ex manager. Hopefully CH will get a new job soon and you can move on to his new club’s forum with your long winded waffle.

You see - this is the problem with posters on here like you - you make assumptions - jump in with both feet - see a phrase and blow a gasket - without every really reading the content of the post.

This was demonstrated in another way yesterday when it was claimed that I am whinging about Duffy being dropped (because Duffy is Irish and that is my motivation) - I haven't made any such comments - in fact - go back and look at the comments I made when Hughton signed Duffy - I said it was a mistake - that Duffy was reckless and prone to doing stupid things. I was wrong and Hughton did a really good job of coaching him up. I felt then and still do that John Egan would have been a better buy (he is a better footballer) and I think that will be proved right in the long run (he has been stellar for Sheff Utd this season).

Yes - I like Chris Hughton as a manager - I think he is very under-rated - I also liked him as a footballer - he was a cultured and stylish player that played in a very footballing orientated, entertaining Spurs team. There are other managers that I admire - Brian Clough (was in Brighton for a while - and should have stayed given what happened at Leeds) - Bill Shankly, Bobby Robson, Johnny Giles (another great and grossly underrated Irish manager) etc. - there are other managers I cannot stand - and naming the Irish ones here - Roy Keane (although I thought he was a great footballer) - Steve Staunton - Martin O'Neill (a perfect example of a dinosaur who hasn't moved with the times). Since yesterday we have had people calling Hughton sh*te and even questioning his Irishness (yes he was born in England - his mother is Irish and he spent time in Limerick when he was growing up - his brother also played for Ireland). This crap is totally unwarranted and shows an utter lack of respect to a guy who did a tremendous job while he was here - and it demonstrates how fickle many supporters can be.

By the way - I never predicted 'doom and gloom' for Potter - I repeatedly cautioned reading too much into his 'record' (which is very limited) or the early results (like the first game of the season against a dire Watford team - and people on here were going on about Watford being a good team). I also cautioned against the 'doom and gloom' like after the thumping by Man City. I think people are over-egging yesterdays result - Liverpool did not play well yet were very comfortable except for the last few minutes after the sending off - and even then Brighton didn't really threaten. My comments have consistently been measured and fairly balanced while expressing my opinion that sacking Hughton was a mistake.My comments about Potter have also been largely measured - but because I was against the sacking of Hughton I must hate Potter. Are people not entitled to hold a different opinion to you without having their motivations questioned?

Now - you can make all the assumptions that you want - you can jump in with both feet and start lashing out without reading my comments in a considered manner - you can come onto an internet forum and vent against someone you don't know - that is your right - but when you attempt to make outlandish claims about me then expect me to respond.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Yes it was.

The whole anti-Hughton style of football remarks are quite irritating.

When we had a good run last year, (and the year before), we had the usual ‘top 8’ or ‘top 10’ team comments, but in reality we were a bottom 4 team, and based on budget, a bottom 3 team.

The fact Hughton kept us up should be lauded rather than criticised.

We bought some really ordinary players, and regardless of whether he had the final say, that list surely couldn’t have been up to much. Potter apparently feels the same way based on appearances of Big Jurg, AJ and Andone.

What we as fans have to ask ourselves, Is do we want PL football or just be a team that entertains regardless of division? (That’s not to say we’re going down BTW).

However, the quality (not style), was terrible in those closing months and even the positive attributes that contributed to the style (defensive organisation) disappeared. Bournemouth, Stains and Cardiff were so dreadful.

The defensive performances at Wolves and Spurs were brilliant technically, Wolves almost organisationally perfect, but supporters don’t always appreciate these important aspects, which is fine as people also want attacking football.

So despite feeling he was harshly treated (and a big part of me still does), you could see there needed to be an improvement.
What I still don’t understand is that surely Bloom and Barber should have been saying “come on Chris, let’s get this sorted”, but he reportedly had no inclination that he was getting sacked.

IMO where Potter has made a difference other than the attacking, is changing his formation up to 3 times a game. That is also genius in its own right. The integration of youngsters should have happened last season too.

Hypothetical, but I think White would have been a starter this year, if Potter had been here an extra year.

Sorry it’s so long winded, so whilst I love Chris for everything he did, even the first part of last season, I have woken up this morning quite positive as Potter has moved us forward......

I just wonder whether Chris could come back and do a session on blocking runs and defending set-pieces [emoji2]......

And this is the type of sensible, measured comment that I am talking about - most of which I agree with - except for the bit about 'integrating the youngsters' - Connolly and Alzate were both injured last season and when Connolly got fit he couldn't get into a League One team - White was playing for Petrborough - they weren't ready. As I pointed out before - Potter intended to send Connolly out on loan this season only to be persuaded not to by David Weir who watched Connolly at the Toulon tournament with the Irish U21s in June. Saying that - both (and White) still have a lot to learn - something I think was shown by how easily Connolly was getting shoved off the ball yesterday. Talking about youngsters - I am surprised that Molumby is at Millwall - he is just the type of passing midfielder that fits Potter's style of football - but maybe Potter doesn't think he is ready.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
And this is the type of sensible, measured comment that I am talking about - most of which I agree with - except for the bit about 'integrating the youngsters' - Connolly and Alzate were both injured last season and when Connolly got fit he couldn't get into a League One team - they weren't ready. As I pointed out before - Potter intended to send Connolly out on loan this season only to be persuaded not to by David Weir who watched Connolly at the Toulon tournament with the Irish U21s in June. Saying that - both (and White) still have a lot to learn - something I think was shown by how easily Connolly was getting shoved off the ball yesterday.

Remind everyone what team do you support?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
And this is the type of sensible, measured comment that I am talking about - most of which I agree with - except for the bit about 'integrating the youngsters' - Connolly and Alzate were both injured last season and when Connolly got fit he couldn't get into a League One team - White was playing for Petrborough - they weren't ready. As I pointed out before - Potter intended to send Connolly out on loan this season only to be persuaded not to by David Weir who watched Connolly at the Toulon tournament with the Irish U21s in June. Saying that - both (and White) still have a lot to learn - something I think was shown by how easily Connolly was getting shoved off the ball yesterday. Talking about youngsters - I am surprised that Molumby is at Millwall - he is just the type of passing midfielder that fits Potter's style of football - but maybe Potter doesn't think he is ready.

Not entirely true .... Alzate was injured correct, however he was on a season long loan until Jan when he got injured and returned. Connolly again was fit until Jan when he got injured and wasn’t actually fit until mid April so to argue he couldn’t ‘get into’ a side when he wasn’t match fit isn’t completely true.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Especially considering it was a home game we desperately needed to win. Sitting deep looking like we were desperately trying to survive the game without conceding like we were playing Man City was criminal.

I was on holiday for this game and saw it on TV with a Newcastle fan. he said to me at half time; don't Brighton want to win this match -so surprised was he at our tactics.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
As we're talking about facts ...

No progress.png

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But those are just two examples I gave.

I have seen White and Alzate for the last three years in the U23s, and there was more than just promise. Rather than waste a place on the bench with an expensive flop, Chris could have just as easily had White or Alzate there. You could argue the same for with Jay Molumby, Tilley, Magnus Normann, Dreyer and others, they certainly could have done no worse than some of what was being served up by senior players.

I would also add that a number played in the League Cup, including Dessie Hutchinson at Bournemouth, and Gyokores has some games, so why stop there?

I just never felt there was a huge desire to do it......

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Not entirely true .... Alzate was injured correct, however he was on a season long loan until Jan when he got injured and returned. Connolly again was fit until Jan when he got injured and wasn’t actually fit until mid April so to argue he couldn’t ‘get into’ a side when he wasn’t match fit isn’t completely true.

So Alzate was injured in January - and didn't play for the season - Connolly was injured in January - joined Luton after his recovery on 2 April, playing in two games out of six for Luton. It is a valid point that he may have not played because he wasn't fit - but he wouldn't have been able to play for Brighton either in that case. Furthermore, it generally is not a good idea to bring kids into a team struggling against relegation. Neither were able to contribute last season and to suggest that somehow Hughton should have utilised them is off-base in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here