Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He wanted to be employed. Of course he painted himself in the best possible light. It seems it didn’t work. Time you face reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your wait will be long and futile :shrug:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I am demonstrating that Hughton has the success and experience of few other PL managers of keeping teams in the PL - and the first two seasons are by far and away the most difficult seasons for promoted clubs.

The squad is not similar - Potter got 3 players this season that cost more than any player signed during Hughton's tenure - on top of that he has Mooy would would also have cost another transfer record - and two kids coming through from the underage set up. Half the first team has changed - and they are better than what Hughton had to work with last season (with the possible exception of Webster). Yes - Hughton does have a different approach than Potter - and his approach has been a success at all the clubs where he has managed.

Your feeling is based on false assumptions - please demonstrated that I 'have no love for Brighton'?

I admire Hughton - I think he is a very under-rated manager and I was opposed to his sacking last May - anything else is supposition.

Yes I have criticised Bloom - but I would disagree that it is based on 'a certain degree of ignorance' - I have a dislike of very rich individuals buying football clubs (whatever their motivations) and I believe the evidence demonstrates that eventually it tends to go belly-up at some point. I hate the way money dominates football and how money has taken the game away from its working class roots. I think it is obnoxious that football players can paid £1m a week while other professional footballers can be forced to survive on as little £250 a week. Back to Bloom - I think information has come out that demonstrate the club's hierarchy were a little disingenuous when they sacked Hughton.

And as I have repeatedly said - things have moved on - the club made its decision - Potter is doing a good job so far - yet people keep attempting to make false comparisons between Potter and Hughton. People should be recognising and respecting the achievements of Hughton while he was here and enjoying the ride this season.

So because you have a 'feeling' that is not based on any concrete evidence - you adopt a biased approach to my comments. Why not take the comments at face value - and if it does turn out that I act the prick if things went south then you would have grounds for calling me out on it. But do you seriously think I would just be hanging around here (defending Hughton's record - but making largely positive comments about the team this season) - just on the off-chance that Brighton might get relegated (that doesn't look like happening) - just so I could troll for a day or two at the end of the season?

Your criticism of our beloved chairman demonstrates your ignorance. Without him, your beloved Chris would not have managed this club, and certainly not in the Prem, so crawl back under your rock. ****ing unbelievable stupidity.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I will regret engaging with [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] but having read the last few pages.

1. You continue to refer in this thread to shoestring budgets that Hughton had to work with. That is clearly bollocks. He was backed by the owners. CH also said the squad was full this time last year. Hardly the words of someone who wanted more backing

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/16...soar-past-100m-spent-on-premier-league-deals/

2. Alzate and Connelly were here last year. To say they weren't at his disposal is disingenuous. We haven't got them in from Inter Milan and Real Madrid. They were farmed out to Luton and Swindon.

3.How do you believe Hughton kept us up against the odds? At no point last year were we over 50% to go down with the bookmakers (and were as low as 4% in Jan 2019) . I believe without checking our wage bill was 17th. Keeping us up was par.

For the record, I believe CH largely did a fantastic job for us until about this time last year when the wheels fell off. The transformation of how we play in the short time GP has been here has been remarkable. Bringing through Alzate and Connelly whilst potting off Andone and Locadia could have cost him his job but he clearly has an eye for a player good or bad. He WILL end up at a top 6 club at some point. To suggest we'd have chucked in the youth and be playing this expansive if CH was still here ignores the evidence of the past 2 years. If in doubt we largely went back to the Championship team.

This. With bells on.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which means I'm right and JRG is wrong. Do you agree?

I don’t want to take sides. I’ve liked and like your NSC posts over the years, and I also respect JRG’s defence of CH’s record.

Personally I was relieved that TB made his decision, I briefly lost my love for football after watching a host of clubs I don’t like (Burnley, Cardiff, Stains, Bmuff) all give us a lesson in football in our stadium. A few months before that I recall thinking I’d be very upset the day CH left the club. In the end I felt little.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don’t want to take sides. I’ve liked and like your NSC posts over the years, and I also respect JRG’s defence of CH’s record.

Personally I was relieved that TB made his decision, I briefly lost my love for football after watching a host of clubs I don’t like (Burnley, Cardiff, Stains, Bmuff) all give us a lesson in football in our stadium. A few months before that I recall thinking I’d be very upset the day CH left the club. In the end I felt little.

Appreciate what you are saying but this is about facts.

JRG claimed that Hernandez on circa £7.2m per year was being paid more than our top 5 earners. Based on Dunk and a couple of others being on £50k per week, that equates to £2.5m per year. Ergo, assuming those figures are correct, Hernandez was earning slightly less than our top three earners. It may seem that I have a bee in my bonnet about JRG but you can't post stats as if they're facts which is what he does frequently.

The point he is making, ie that WHU are paying considerably more to their highest earner than we are stands, it doesn't need lies to support it.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Appreciate what you are saying but this is about facts.

JRG claimed that Hernandez on circa £7.2m per year was being paid more than our top 5 earners. Based on Dunk and a couple of others being on £50k per week, that equates to £2.5m per year. Ergo, assuming those figures are correct, Hernandez was earning slightly less than our top three earners. It may seem that I have a bee in my bonnet about JRG but you can't post stats as if they're facts which is what he does frequently.

The point he is making, ie that WHU are paying considerably more to their highest earner than we are stands, it doesn't need lies to support it.

You may well be right - my comments were based on a different report that outlined the contracts of Brighton players - It may be 3 players - it may be 5 players - and I am willing to concede the lower number because of the conflicting evidence.

You are implying - actually stating - that I was lying - when in fact what I was doing was quoting the source I found, nothing more and nothing less. When appropriate I always link to the source I have - and I have always been open about the fact that I am expressing an opinion and where possible I use evidence to back it up. As I have stated repeatedly - we do not and will never know these contract numbers in terms of accuracy (the sources that can be found are also likely making certain assumptions) - but using a source to demonstrate a point is a long way from 'lying' and I think you should appreciate and acknowledge that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You may well be right - my comments were based on a different report that outlined the contracts of Brighton players - It may be 3 players - it may be 5 players - and I am willing to concede the lower number because of the conflicting evidence.

You are implying - actually stating - that I was lying - when in fact what I was doing was quoting the source I found, nothing more and nothing less. When appropriate I always link to the source I have - and I have always been open about the fact that I am expressing an opinion and where possible I use evidence to back it up. As I have stated repeatedly - we do not and will never know these contract numbers in terms of accuracy (the sources that can be found are also likely making certain assumptions) - but using a source to demonstrate a point is a long way from 'lying' and I think you should appreciate and acknowledge that.

Fair enough, you weren't lying, you posted out of ignorance at the time. If you posted a link to your source then apologies as I missed it.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Why the facepalm? Our chairman deserves every Brighton fan’s support. His decision to sack your beloved Chris was 100% correct. So, why the facepalm?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we’re getting there :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Potter did brilliantly today with the adjustments at half-time.

Not getting enough credit IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here