Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] We all nearly died last Thursday

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Highly recommend watching Brian Cox the planets, it's incredible how earth is in the perfect position for life to flourish, I think its Jupiter that sucks in most of the asteroids heading for us

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
You're right. It's a cracking series. Been watching it with the nipper.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
People keep coming up with these 'Armageddon' stories like there's no tomorrow.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Oh well.

‘It snuck up on us’: Scientists stunned by ‘city-killer’ asteroid that just missed Earth

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-didnt-detect-it-time/?utm_term=.9fc13f182fa1

Scientists revealed an asteroid dubbed by some as a "city killer" came closer to the Earth than the moon this week. The Washington Post reported that scientists apparently had no idea it was coming.

Asteroid 2019 OK came hurtling toward Earth at a speed of nearly 15 miles a second, before flying past. According to NASA, it was about 45,000 miles from Earth on Thursday.

"It would have hit with over 30 times the energy of the atomic blast at Hiroshima," astronomer professor Alan Duffy told the Sydney Morning Herald. Duffy called the zooming space rock a "city killer."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/astero...roid-misses-earth-and-scientists-had-no-idea/

Although I guess it could have hit Croydon and done £8.74 worth of improvements.

one minute its a pyramid the next minute its wembley .....then its 12 double decker buses ...i mean for **** sake , you really couldn't make this shit up ....!!

el punal

I think if they DID know a meteor was going to hit in (say) a month or two's time and wipe us out in an extinction event, we'd not be told about it, because all society would immediately break down and descend into complete chaos and anarchy. It'd be the end of days. Of course the news might "leak", but would people believe it ?

You’re absolutely right on all counts, however . . . . f***ing hell! WTF was that big bang? . . . . .

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Oh well.

‘It snuck up on us’: Scientists stunned by ‘city-killer’ asteroid that just missed Earth

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-didnt-detect-it-time/?utm_term=.9fc13f182fa1

Scientists revealed an asteroid dubbed by some as a "city killer" came closer to the Earth than the moon this week. The Washington Post reported that scientists apparently had no idea it was coming.

Asteroid 2019 OK came hurtling toward Earth at a speed of nearly 15 miles a second, before flying past. According to NASA, it was about 45,000 miles from Earth on Thursday.

"It would have hit with over 30 times the energy of the atomic blast at Hiroshima," astronomer professor Alan Duffy told the Sydney Morning Herald. Duffy called the zooming space rock a "city killer."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/astero...roid-misses-earth-and-scientists-had-no-idea/

Although I guess it could have hit Croydon and done £8.74 worth of improvements.

Not possible.

The world is flat.

These so called experts.

#FakeAsteroid

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Highly recommend watching Brian Cox the planets, it's incredible how earth is in the perfect position for life to flourish, I think its Jupiter that sucks in most of the asteroids heading for us

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Indeed it is, the gas giant that is Jupiter deflects many asteroids that are on our path off into another orbit.

A damn good bloke is Jupiter.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I think if they DID know a meteor was going to hit in (say) a month or two's time and wipe us out in an extinction event, we'd not be told about it, because all society would immediately break down and descend into complete chaos and anarchy. It'd be the end of days. Of course the news might "leak", but would people believe it ?

Why would it matter at that point, if society descended into chaos and anarchy?

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Nonsense post title.

In space terms, it was pretty close, but it wouldn't have been the end of the world.

If it had hit a populated area, of course it would have caused a local disaster of magnitude, but only local.

The odds of it hitting an inhabited area would have been miniscule anyhow, seeing as the vast majority of the earth is uninhabited.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Nonsense post title.

In space terms, it was pretty close, but it wouldn't have been the end of the world.

If it had hit a populated area, of course it would have caused a local disaster of magnitude, but only local.

The odds of it hitting an inhabited area would have been miniscule anyhow, seeing as the vast majority of the earth is uninhabited.

And THIS is why you never get picked up for writing those Hollywood blockbuster disaster films, you and your logic & facts.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
And THIS is why you never get picked up for writing those Hollywood blockbuster disaster films, you and your logic & facts.

Lol. Funnily enough, it's the monthly meeting of my astronomy club tonight, where I'm sure it will be discussed over a beer or two!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Exactamondo.

Where's the gravitas in:-

'Earth was passed by a surprise asteroid, slightly closer than usual, everyone is fine'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why would it matter at that point, if society descended into chaos and anarchy?

Surely for the civilised world it would be preferable to live out the last weeks of our lives in relative peace in a functioning society with our families, rather than basically spending our last remaining days on Earth on one giant set of Mad Max 2 in amongst burning cars, looted shops and hollow eyed slack-jawed spacked-out junkies eating each others brains (or as its more commonly known, Croydon).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely for the civilised world it would be preferable to live out the last weeks of our lives in relative peace in a functioning society with our families, rather than basically spending our last remaining days on Earth on one giant set of Mad Max 2 in amongst burning cars, looted shops and hollow eyed slack-jawed spacked-out junkies eating each others brains (or as its more commonly known, Croydon).

I bet a surprising number of people would still go to work!

Not me, I hasten to add, I don't want to go when it's a little bit windy, let alone mass extinction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here