Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We absolutely should not sell Steve Cook (merged: Cook gone to Bournemouth)

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Hi Richie, here's a quick sub, cuts in [], adds in bold. By the way, the story about Will Hoskins says "Bournemouth looked at Hoskins load deal" - think it's meant to be "loan"?

Brighton [and] & Hove Albion centre-half Steve Cook has joined Bournemouth for an initial fee of £170,000.

The Hastings-born defender played 90 minutes of Albion's hard-fought 3[v]-0 win against Southampton yesterday and, with the Seagulls losing captain Gordon Greer to a straight red card in the closing stages, fans were expect[ed]ing manager Gus Poyet to kibosh (eh?) the sale until his squad was back [at] to full strength.

[However,] But Bournemouth stepped in today with an official bid and finalised the deal, which could rise by an [extra] additional £130,000 depending on a series of add-ons.

Cook, who impressed during the Carling Cup match[-up] with Premier[ship] League Liverpool earlier this season, has become a crowd favourite at Bournemouth during a recent loan spell and was keen to sign for the Cherries.

His contract was due to expire at the end of the season, but Bournemouth moved early to ward off competition.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bournemouth have got themselves a great deal there, good luck to Cook. I'm disappointed to see him go though, a few more first team games for us and his value could have risen a lot higher (providing he signed a new deal of course). Maybe Gus rates Hall as a similar quality to Cook?

Grant Hall is an excellent young player. We have done well with Cook's price tag when you consider how much we paid for Greer.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Wish we could have kept him, it's also a shame the deal could not go ahead after the Wrexham game when at least we would have Dunk back.

Although it's a shame, well done Gus for not holding him back. It would seem pretty dishonest of him to block a move after the good treatment Crofts and Bennett got.

Good luck, Cookie!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'm right disappointed that he's heading off down the coast. Played really well against Liverpool & did a great job yesterday at full-back. Good luck to the lad for being prepared to drop to a lower level to get regular 1st team footie though.

I hope we're all pleasantly surprised by the reinforcements who come in during the window, otherwise the decision to let him go now could look a bit silly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hope we're all pleasantly surprised by the reinforcements who come in during the window, otherwise the decision to let him go now could look a bit silly.

Apart from Murray who we still haven't replaced, I'm not sure that Gus has cocked up too badly on who he's let go so far during his reign.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Big mistake, he's going to be one hell of a defender! He's only 20 and he's managed well against players such as Suarez, Bellamy, Kuyt, Lallana, Lambert and so on without barely any first team experience .

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Closest any defender has got to scoring in open play at the Amex & kept another clean sheet, HIS 6th in last 7 league games. Poor call Gus

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Apart from Murray who we still haven't replaced, I'm not sure that Gus has cocked up too badly on who he's let go so far during his reign.

For sure, but a number of his signings have - for various reasons - turned out to be a bit questionable now. I just hope we get good, fit players in who can bolster the squad & create some healthy competition for places. He did say that he wasn't looking to make any big signings during this month, but maybe that's just a cheeky smokescreen? Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Last edited:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Just been confirmed on Meridian tonight. Unless Gus has a ready made replacement coming in, I don't understand this. Cook had a very good game yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here