Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We absolutely should not sell Steve Cook (merged: Cook gone to Bournemouth)

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
The club gave me a call earlier, i will be in for Wrexham and can play across the backline. My best position is as sweeper

sweeper_415x569.jpg

That is bloody brilliant!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Would it not have been for this injury crisis he is basically out ninth choice defender... I think. Good move for him I reckon.

Cook wanted to go because he knew he'd get regular first team football. What is the point in keeping a player who would resent being kept here and could have gone on a free at the end of the season. I think it's a good deal especially the price we've got for him.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Jesus! I can't believe the crap on here about the fact that Gus is stupid for letting him go! He wanted to go, and you don't keep an unhappy player!
Especially with one out of contract in the summer and no guarantee that we would have got much money for him, certainly not 170k!

We haven't just sold Franco fuckin Baresi so stop going on as if he was the best thing since sliced bread :wrong:

If he was that good, he would have started ahead of Dunk at the start of the season. He is a good defender with potential to step up to Championship level, he's not quite there yet hence why he is 4th or 5th choice at the moment.

So in context, this was a great deal by the club, well done.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On Radio Sussex they quoted Gus as saying that it was a good move for him as he would have been behind Greer El Abd and Dunk as a central defender no mention of him playing right back and giving an indication that Dunk is going nowhere. We also have Grant Hall who performed well when he came on yesterday. As regards Wrexham I would think that Vincelot will be back at right back and Painter must be virtually certain to be fit with El Abd and Hall in central defence.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Bad bad timing. While one win against Southampton does not a summer make, I think yesterday the penny finally dropped with Gus yesterday that youth can prevail. It was too late for Cook and that's a sad sad loss for us. Calderon, Painter (and Tanno due to his age) are all struggling at Championship level whereas Cook hasn't looked outclassed once.

When Gus finally realised that Cook could happily move up the defensive pecking order, the deal with Bournemouth had been done. Big shame.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bad bad timing. While one win against Southampton does not a summer make, I think yesterday the penny finally dropped with Gus yesterday that youth can prevail. It was too late for Cook and that's a sad sad loss for us. Calderon, Painter (and Tanno due to his age) are all struggling at Championship level whereas Cook hasn't looked outclassed once.

When Gus finally realised that Cook could happily move up the defensive pecking order, the deal with Bournemouth had been done. Big shame.
shit happens...things don't always happen wen u want...cook has done well in 2 games..we will nvr know if he would hav maintained that level....defensive players returning from injury/suspensions...time to go forword and stop navel gazing

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Big mistake, he's going to be one hell of a defender! He's only 20 and he's managed well against players such as Suarez, Bellamy, Kuyt, Lallana, Lambert and so on without barely any first team experience .

Don't forget Kompany and Jo (and Sturridge?)

It's moot point now, but he played a lot at RB before settling at CB.

:albion2:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Big mistake, he's going to be one hell of a defender! He's only 20 and he's managed well against players such as Suarez, Bellamy, Kuyt, Lallana, Lambert and so on without barely any first team experience .

That's 2 games (and admittedly 2 good performances).

However, he's been with the club since he was he was a junior, the coaching staff & management will have seen him play in hundreds of games and seen him in training and monitored his development. You have to trust that collectively with their experience, they can judge a players potential far more effectively than any of us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here