Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We absolutely should not sell Steve Cook (merged: Cook gone to Bournemouth)

Looks like the deal was already agreed before the window opened, and Gus honoured his word and let him move on despite our current crisis. Good on him.

The article makes it look like Gus rates Hall ahead of him, so I hope we see him getting involved a bit in the second half of the season (rather than being left perennially in the development squad like Cook was).

Sep 1, 2010
Maybe could not stop him going, but the fee is too small in my opinion, i wonder how much it cost to develop him since the age of 9 Yrs old. More than a £170,000 investment i would suspect

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Good luck Cookie , after all its his career we're talking about , so he had to make the decision. I think the deal was all sorted out before Xmas.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Get £300k for a potential championship player in Cook. Replace him for £500k with a PROVEN Championship / Premier league / International player in Jara Reyes.

Onwards and upwards

Who's to say that Gus doesn't see HALL as the one with more potential, anyway?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I am gutted, but well done the club for honouring their 'gentleman's agreement' with Bournemouth. I seem to recall that a similar agreement was the reason we ended up signing Forster.

Gus and Tony wouldn't do the dirty but there are plenty of managers and chairmen who wouldn't bat an eyelid when reneging on a "gentleman's agreement".

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Get £300k for a potential championship player in Cook. Replace him for £500k with a PROVEN Championship / Premier league / International player in Jara Reyes.

Onwards and upwards

Who's to say that Gus doesn't see HALL as the one with more potential, anyway?

All very good points, we are overloaded with centre-backs. It's just a shame after he had such a good game yesterday. I trust that this means we'll be holding on to Dunk though.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Cook gone to Bournemouth

Albion sell Cook to Bournemouth From The Argus)

Albion defender Steve Cook has completed a permanent move to Bournemouth.

The 20-year-old has joined the League One side for a £170,000 fee which The Argus understands could rise to around £300,000, based on appearances and other add-ons.

It leaves the Seagulls with only three fully fit defenders for Saturday's FA Cup tie at home to Wrexham.

Albion had already agreed with Bournemouth to recall Cook from his loan spell just for yesterday's match against Southampton.

See full story in tomorrow's Argus.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I can see no justification for that when both our first choice fullbacks are crocked, and both our first choice CB's are suspended. I'd still have been annoyed letting him go later in the month, but he was recalled from Bournemouth specifically because of the injury/suspension crisis at the back, and that has only WORSENED since yesterday !! Why not at least hang on to him till the end of Jan ? Its not like we're desperately hankering over a poxy £170k, we'll earn that in PIES next Saturday.

I sincerely hope Gus has got someone lined up to come in soon, thats the only way this makes any sense. It obviously won't be Reyes, as quite apart from the financial hurdles, he could be banged up at Her Majesty's soon.

Just sat here shaking my head.

bn1 seagull

Dec 9, 2010
shocked by this, cook in both appearances this season has been fantastic. in my opinion he is a championship player, its not as if we needed to sell cook to raise funds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here