Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We absolutely should not sell Steve Cook (merged: Cook gone to Bournemouth)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Hi there

Bournemouth fan here... Firstly congrats on Saturday... Always nice to see 'them down the road' losing... and seeing as I was brought up in Hove, I still look out for the Albion..

RE Cook, I have been reading this thread with interest as there is loads of speculation about Cook on our boards also... He has been playing really well and if signed, would be one of the first names on the team sheet for us...

Looking at Twitter feeds it would appear he is coming to us, but who believes Twitter these days... I can understand that most of you on here think of us as 'little old Bournemouth' and why would he want to come to us...and rightly so... We don't have a 20k plus new stadium that gets sold out regularly... We don't have a 'City' that can supply thousands of fans and we don't have an extremely rich fan for a Chairman like you do, and we are not in the Championship...

However, we do have the one thing he wants... First team football week in week out... As a team we are now starting to gel and climb back up the table... We are playing good football again, which suits Cook as he always tries to play on the deck, and, we do have some money behind us now and are investing in a young, creative squad...

After losing our entire starting 11, from last season, in the summer, I think most had us relegated, but we are coming together... We have plans to buy the ground back and complete it, and maybe, just maybe, Cook sees the bigger picture and likes the sound of being part of this transition, and hopefully climbing into the Championship in a couple of seasons time...

He has dealt with the whole situation impeccably and has come out and said that his heart lies with Brighton, but I reckon he would rather play every week, drop leagues, and potentially pay, than just collect a pay packet, playing reserve football for the most...

Personally, I hope he comes to us (and I think he will)... It is nice though to see a footballer not just thinking about his bank balance and making career decisions because of what really matters to him... football...

Good luck for the rest of the season folks... and hopefully we will be joining Brighton in the C'ship in a couple of years...

Wherever Cook goes, it will be the right move for him...

Good post.

I think if we are honest the best move for Cook is probably to go to Bournemouth. he has obviously settled in the side really well, is playing first team football and can then look for a Championship move if Bournemouth don't get there, which sadly I don't think they will. I like Bournemouth though.

However from an Albion point of view I think we should keep him. We are currently very sparse at the back. If Dunk is sold which there has to be a 50% chance of then Cook would be first cover behind El Abd and Greer. For January at least he could be playing in every game. So why would we let him go until at least close to the end of January. Also why would let him go for that money, when he could potentially be as good as Dunk and worth a lot more in a years time.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
GP obviouslty doesnt see much in him. He championed Dunk for ages but to be honest in the 2 performances I have seen him he has been excellent and in fairness they were against techically the 2 best forward lines that have been at the Amex!

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
Where have AFCB got £175k from?

We have recently had an invester buy 50% of the club... A Russian businessman, and have begun to rebuild the team and have plans for the current stadium as well. To date we have bought Wes Thomas (150k), Charlie Daniels (150k) and had a bid for Matt Ritchie (500k) turned down... Personally, I think 500k for a league 2 winger is way OTT and am sceptical of us now just spending big bucks cos we have it...

I would rather us be sensible and pick up players that can't get in championship sides that are hungry for footy ala Cook...

It seems weird after scratching around for so many yrs we are now in a position to actually pay for players... and compete in the transfer windows...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Bournemouth for Promotion next season then!

are you not concerned about the Russian? is much known about him. I hope for your sake its not another situation like Portsmouth.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't see why he shouldn't play regularly for us so long as he doesn't mind playing wing back for a bit. He seemed to enjoy getting forward yesterday.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I see it as up to him really and understand why he wants to go. He can play first team football there and also earn more than his youth contract here.

Is he premiership quality? If this is where we want to be in 3 or 4 years I'm not so sure. Footballers have short careers he isn't getting a look in to our squad unless its a cup game or we are threadbare? And if we do go up in the next 3/4 years this would be his chance to come in but I'd see us buying quality defenders.

He goes west, Plays often, Develops does well and then may well get back into the Champ with another team playing and earning well.

We may well look back and regret it if he does, I don't feel he will however.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
I don't think we should be selling him,but I'm sure there put a buy back clause in the contract,which mean it could work out well for both clubs.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Paul Camillin saying an announcement going on the site at 16.45

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was obviously agreed before yesterday's game and when he threw his shirt into the crowd. I hope he does well for them.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Bollox - post deleted!

Bad decision I think ... we should've scrubbed up Cald given him a haircut and seen if we could have blagged it

Not happy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here