Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WBA also in for Bridcutt

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Lets weigh up a few things before assuming that LB is going to jump at the opportunity to play in the PL.
1) He wants to play every week. Thats why he turned down another year at Chelsea. Would he play every week at WBA or Norwich?
2) Are either of these two guaranteed to stay up? If you are going to play in the PL, you want to be confident that you're not going to be back in the Championship next season.
3) Are any of the teams who are targetting him, better medium term ( next three years ) prospects than BHA?
4) His and his wife's roots are in Reading...so they do not want to a long way from there...Norwich..too far away....WBA...a possibility.
5) Now the most important factor, alongside money. Mrs Bridcutt absolutely loves living in the Brighton area and is very settled. Any deal has got to get past her. They have a very young child and Liam would not want to spend time away from the two of them. So if its relocation...its a big decision.
It might not be as straightforward as some people think.

To most people a £20grand a week pay rise would negate all of that.

Can't see Ulloa leaving unless we are offered silly money (£10m+) but wouldn't be surprised to see Bridcutt go for around £5m, sadly. He's done his time here, served us well and if the money is right he deserves a crack in the top flight.

Just not with Palace.

Agree with all that, Liam deserves his go at the top flight, but if he goes to "them" I will be disappointed beyond words.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Of course it would. People always seem to convince themselves our players won't be moving and all because Brighton is the best city in the WORLD.

It's nonsense. At some point, the money and the chance to fulfill a top player's potential becomes an issue.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Totally ... these fellas have about 10 years to make enough money to see them through. Being given the chance of 4 or 5 years of good earnings will be a real incentive for them, regardless of where it is or whether they get to play every week. I guess it's different if he was on £100K a week now but he isn't and any wages offered by a Prem club will offer him security for the rest of his life ... he'd be daft not too

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I honestly think that the next 24 hours will be te defining moment in Blooms tenure so far.

If Bridcutt and Ulloa are both sold then, as fellpw poster Basil Fawlty said to me earlier, a lot of people will be very very unhappy and will turn on the board...

I've also spoken to 5 other people, all loyal fans whove been supporting the club through thick and thibk in the last 24 hours who are feeling the most pessimistic they've done for a very long time.

We will see what transfer deadline day brings. If we have the same squad with two or three good additions then people will be happy.

An absolutely ridiculous post.

Turn against the man who has thrown in excess of 125 million into the club.

Get a grip man

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I honestly think that the next 24 hours will be te defining moment in Blooms tenure so far.

Change the record.

It's no good having either of the above if we sell our best players for peanuts, play our games in front of 18,000 people(which will be what we will be lucky to get at home games next year if we don't do well) and also have year on year struggling in the championship.

So true. If the club think record season ticket holders will keep renewing if we sell our best players then the club are deluded and like you pointed out that crowds will dwindle and the club will have to find even more savings which will result selling even more players.

We clearly have opposing views on the statement defining moment in Blooms tenure so far.
Because obviously you are both right.
It would seem, from the outside, incredibly short sighted and season ending to off load our best player(s) now, for comparative peanuts.

But players come and players go, to me a defining moment would be the building of a stadium that will still be standing when the current squad are all pensioners, and half this board have died.
At that point nobody is going to be scratching their chin and saying 'we never should have sold Ulloa'.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It seems to me that the club have realised that Liam is likely to be poached by a PL club for some time and have ensured that we have decent cover. It wouldn't surprise me if he went either now or in Jan.

On the other hand, we have no immediate cover for Leo and he's scored 2/3 of all our league goals. If TB's statement that he wants to finish in the top 6 is a true reflection of what he really wants, and I suspect it is, I can't see that he'll be off unless and until we have cover for him too, which, at the time of writing, we clearly don't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can't see Ulloa leaving unless we are offered silly money (£10m+) but wouldn't be surprised to see Bridcutt go for around £5m, sadly. He's done his time here, served us well and if the money is right he deserves a crack in the top flight.

Just not with Palace.

About right.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I like the "feeling the most pessimistic they've done for a long time" post.

So, playing at Withdean & being in the relegation zone of League One in 2010 didn't leave you feeling nearly as bad as playing in front of 26,000 at the Amex with some of the best players we've had in a generation then?

Genius :lolol:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I like the "feeling the most pessimistic they've done for a long time" post.

So, playing at Withdean & being in the relegation zone of League One in 2010 didn't leave you feeling nearly as bad as playing in front of 26,000 at the Amex with some of the best players we've had in a generation then?

Genius :lolol:
I know that he/she perhaps over egged the post a bit, but I think I can empathise. Its not necessarily 'pessimism' exactly, its a just a bit of 'low mood', a hangover from the Palace game, Gus leaving, Gus kicking up a fuss, players leaving, price increases, travel and parking clamp down, injury worries compounded by average trf market activity, early season losses,..... Christ we all know where we have come from, and we all know what we currently have and are greatful of course.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I'm actually astonished that anyone is pessimistic. The very worst that can happen is ulloa going and that won't happen now because the club can't afford to lose him. The only real problem is that we have had some injuries to key players. Bruno and Orlandi are back playing now. Bridcutt and CMS to come. We have found a solid replacement for Bridcutt in Andrews if he does go and Spanish Dave is yet to show his best because of lack of fitness. It's going to be a tough September but I think in the next few months we will grow into a better team than last season.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Bridcutt has already been replaced. They're called Keith Andrews, Kemy Agustien and Rohan Ince.
I agree to a point, but Ince is fine in a defensive role, but gathering the ball from the defence, and moving it on in dangerous positions a la Bridcutt just isn't his forte yet,... it was in part the lack of this 'gathering' as I call it, that led to Greer pinging 40 yarders all the time on Saturday.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Players come; players go.

Whatever the outcome of today Brighton and Hove Albion are in a 100 times better position than they were 3 years ago.

Wake up and smell the roses.

(PS I'd be very surprised if Ulloa leaves, hope Liam stays, but if he goes good luck to him - deserves a shot in the Premier League)

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
As opposed to the £120m, 30,000 all-seater, stadium.
Or
The £105m training facility.

Well said. We should never forget the foundations that have been laid. That's Tony Bloom's legacy and one that will ensure the stability of our club.

That said I'm sure we wont sell Bridcutt for anything less than his worth or to Palace for that matter unless an offer is put down we can't refuse.

Lastly, I don't want to see him go however he has served us well and if the price and club offering is right then he deserves his chance in the prem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here