Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney's new pay deal.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Wasn't necessarilly disagreeing with you about that - it is just not a relevant argument to compare what they get paid with other types of workers - we all get paid what those employing us think we're worth.

Maybe it's a better argument to suggest that it is ridiculous that anyone would be willing to pay that amount of money to a footballer.

I can completely agree with that :)

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Whatever people think about MU, they have a good record for nurturing, and acquiring, top English players. I'm thinking of the Busby Babes and up to Fergies Bairns, the likes of the Nevilles, Scholes, Beckham, Butt, to name a few, and Rooney of course. They could have just gone out and mopped up all the world talent with their funds, like City have :)

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
how? thats why i think the money reported is dubious, it would price just about any other club (Man City and PSG aside), so they'd be stuck with him for 5 years. he'll struggle to stay fit and possibly motivated for that long. ah well, if it is true, it may just ruin Man U. :lolol:

It saves the possibility of his contract being run down to a 'Bosman'........with his ego, I would thought it perfectly possible to wind him up enough to put a request in.
There is also a formula that relates to players contracts, and their age at signing.......he had the option to buy himself out for £mills this summer because he signed under aged 24......nothing definitive.......just a feeling, on my part.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Whatever people think about MU, they have a good record for nurturing, and acquiring, top English players. I'm thinking of the Busby Babes and up to Fergies Bairns, the likes of the Nevilles, Scholes, Beckham, Butt, to name a few, and Rooney of course. They could have just gone out and mopped up all the world talent with their funds, like City have :)

err Rooney went to Manchester United for £25.6 million?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yeah it's an obscene amount of money but a) it's supply and demand and b) if someone offered me £250k a week, I'd probably set my morals aside and accept.

As an aside, I'm always a bit surprised how many people still think that at the very top end of the game, fans money makes little or no difference to players wages. It's all about sponsorship.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If there is a minimum wage in this country there should also be a maximum one, by law.

Why? Do you have the same problem if someone writes a good book, gets £2 royalties on each copy sold and then pockets millions when it goes global? Or what about an inventor who does the same? Top singers who write their own songs make a fortune. Movie stars get paid millions for one film which might only involve two or three months filming!

As others have said, it is a free market. Where controls should be in place is in respect of FFP in whatever format.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I have long since not able to understand these wages (they effect our wage structure as well ).How i cope is that at least "some" tax is paid,and Wayne will spend and spend so hopefully local people will benefit . I will say that he seems quite grounded with his wealth,unlike some . Perhaps Wayne will become the new breed of philanthropist on his retirement, as i am not sure he will be running a pub !

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Market forces isn't really the point. If someone is willing to work for 50p/hour doesn't make it right. A wage cap is the only moral course of action, imposed by law or FFP.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
For a player that has more than likely peaked its a lot of dough. Man U shares 25% off their peak, investors starting to desert..

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Market forces isn't really the point. If someone is willing to work for 50p/hour doesn't make it right. A wage cap is the only moral course of action, imposed by law or FFP.

Are you talking about a wage cap for JUST footballers or all/any professions? And what would you set the cap to anyway?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I think there should be a cap on all professions. More than £1,000,000 per year is to most people silly money and more than a generous cap, especially when you compare it to doctors, vets, lawyers, politicians pay. Rooney earning £1M in less than a month is obscene, he should be on a super 95% tax rate!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Didn't they sign Rooney from Everton for £27million?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Is £950k p/a not silly money then? What's so magical about £1m that it suddenly becomes "silly money"

What about contractors, shareholders, investors, lottery winners etc. should they all be capped (and thus ensuing economic disaster that would follow). Also, what about massive reduction in tax revenues and so on.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

There's a wage cap in rugby union, which is why so many players are now plying their trade in France.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think there should be a cap on all professions. More than £1,000,000 per year is to most people silly money and more than a generous cap, especially when you compare it to doctors, vets, lawyers, politicians pay. Rooney earning £1M in less than a month is obscene, he should be on a super 95% tax rate!

It was 95% in the 60s, just listen to the Beatles song Taxman. That explained why so many celebrities lived abroad, in the Channel Islands & Isle of Man.
When film stars get over 7 million for a few months work on a new movie, do you stop going to the cinema?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here