Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney's new pay deal.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's a ridiculous sum to be paid but it is fuelled by fans paying £40 for replica shirts, £40/50/60/70/100+ tickets at big clubs, consuming over priced food at grounds etc etc. I don't believe it's sustainable, the bubble has to burst at some point, but in the mean time fans have to take a stand and stop paying the money because it's getting ridiculous and it's just fuelling sky high wages like this.

I think it's more the income from Sky that raises the funds to pay the wages. I have Sky.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If you compare it to the market it represents a similar amount Manchester City paid in transfer fees and wages for Aguero across the same period. I know who I would rather have in my team

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Probably wouldn't have been getting that bumper deal had Ferguson still been manager. As it stands, I think he is likely to replace Vidic as United's captain next season.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
He will be able to pay for a lot of Brass's with that sort of dosh!

D

Deleted member 18477

If someone is willing to pay an amount for someone to do a job then de facto they are worth that amount, at least to the one making the payment.

This! This is how business works simple.

D

Deleted member 18477

I think it's more the income from Sky that raises the funds to pay the wages. I have Sky.

It's not just sky and BT's money.... A larger proportion of man Utd income is sponsorship money! In fact sky and BT sport give each prem team about 70 million a year from their deals but man Utd earn a lot more than that through sponsorship.

If it was just sky and BT's fault then Palace would be able to pay a player 200k a week... Sky and BT get a lot of crap for paying over the odds but it's more than just TV money that comes into it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i cant see that. its a massive pay rise for a player at or past their peak, bfore considering the actual cost. shirley they could pay for two or three top players for similar money - and they certainly need improvment across the team.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If you compare it to the market it represents a similar amount Manchester City paid in transfer fees and wages for Aguero across the same period. I know who I would rather have in my team

And that's the real point. Whether or not Rooney is worth it is a slightly different argument but the fact is Manchester United will only be paying out what it would cost to bring in a genuine world superstar if he left. So although it's a vast amount of money, it's not as ridiculous as it looks. The obsession with quoting footballers' salaries as weekly amounts drives most of the 'shock, horror' reactions when other (arguably equally overpaid) businessmen, rock stars etc rarely see the figure broken down in that way.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's obscene!

How anyone can be worth this sort of money is totally wrong.

Not just about football - anyone.

So, a person who saves lives with their skills (Doctors, Paramedics, firefighters etc) earn much less in a year than Rooney and other sports people earn in a week???

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It's obscene!

How anyone can be worth this sort of money is totally wrong.

Not just about football - anyone.

So, a person who saves lives with their skills (Doctors, Paramedics, firefighters etc) earn much less in a year than Rooney and other sports people earn in a week???

Don't see the relevancy of that statement ???

If Man U weren't paying Rooney that incredible salary would it change the amount those workers you mentioned get paid or would it, (far more likely), just be paid out to shareholders?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Don't see the relevancy of that statement ???

If Man U weren't paying Rooney that incredible salary would it change the amount those workers you mentioned get paid or would it, (far more likely), just be paid out to shareholders?

I don't really care what you think.
I just think it is wrong that a footballer can earn such a ridiculous amount of money.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Another reason why I can't really be arsed with Prem footie.................It is all LA-LA land and far removed from what I even want to get my head round anymore.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think he'll be sold now

how? thats why i think the money reported is dubious, it would price just about any other club (Man City and PSG aside), so they'd be stuck with him for 5 years. he'll struggle to stay fit and possibly motivated for that long. ah well, if it is true, it may just ruin Man U. :lolol:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't really care what you think.
I just think it is wrong that a footballer can earn such a ridiculous amount of money.

Wasn't necessarilly disagreeing with you about that - it is just not a relevant argument to compare what they get paid with other types of workers - we all get paid what those employing us think we're worth.

Maybe it's a better argument to suggest that it is ridiculous that anyone would be willing to pay that amount of money to a footballer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here