Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney's Goal Overrated?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Isn't every shot 'hit and hope'?

But it's Rooney and Man U so we have to come up with all sorts of reasons not to give it any credit.

If you don't want it to be then, of course, it's not.

You seem to be under the deluded impression that this has something to do with the fact it's Wayne Rooney...........why?

I couldn't card less who struck it, the lad from Norwich goal and Toure's was far more superior in look and technique, imo of course.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
You seem to be under the deluded impression that this has something to do with the fact it's Wayne Rooney...........why?

I couldn't card less who struck it, the lad from Norwich goal and Toure's was far more superior in look and technique, imo of course.

I apologise if this doesn't apply to you. It does, however, apply to many.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Yes. A hit and hope with brilliant vision, unbelievable technique and a supreme confidence in his ability to try it.

I apologise if this doesn't apply to you. It does, however, apply to many.

:blush:

I 've just had another look at it closely this morning and he does actually have a quick look up in fairness.

I still prefer the 2 goals mentioned in my last post but I do think this one from Rooney is better than the Beckham goal as it's a harder ball to keep under control imo as Beckham has it at his feet with time. He also puts a bit of cut across it as well which usually can send a ball all over the place but manages to put a nice bit of fade on it.

So, better than I first thought but still 3rd best goal from the Prem this weekend imo. :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That Chris Eagles goal was prob the only time I've applauded another teams goal. Was on the running track. Woeful keeping though

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Brilliant vision? :lolol: I think you've over thought it a bit, he didn't even look up before he struck the ball.

He's already said he's tried it loads of times in training with zero success, this one just came off on the big day.

Its no different than when a keeper kicks a big gaol kick that bounces over the opposition keepers head, looks good on camera but its a fluke.

Thats why they only come off once in a blue moon.

Fair play to him for having a go, but wasn't even the best goal of the Premiership weekend.

You're telling me he had no idea the keeper was off his line like that?

How can you say it's no different to a keeper scoring from a big kick, when a keeper is trying to clear the ball and Rooney was trying to shoot? That's a nonsense argument.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
A great goal but over-rated given the media reaction? Yes.

Acker79 already referred to 3 others, but this one was 20 years ago and better for all sorts of reasons:

1) It was 20 years ago
2) It was the last minute of extra time in a European final
3) The keeper wasn't so out of position
4) The keeper was Seaman
5) The ball doesn't just bounce into the net, the shot drops in perfectly below the bar

and, above all

6/7) Not only does it deny Arsenal a cup, it's scored by an ex-Spurs player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiYt3iNWau0

I know it's picky, but i think Seaman gets a hand to it...not enough to stop it and would be harsh to call it keeper error, but it wasn't a 'clean' goal.

Anyway, Rooney's goal was an exceptional finish, it can't be denied, but i personally preferred Tettey's...but then i've always been a fan of goals like (the 25yd screamers).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Didn't Xavi Alonso score a long ranger for Liverpool a few years ago? Can't seem to find it.....maybe I imagined it

He did. There's a reference and a link to it in the first post (click his name).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Now, I am someone who it is very hard to impress, so it may just be a case of that, but I have always found it easier to get height and distance on a bouncing ball than I have from a dead ball. So, to me, booting the ball from a couple of yards into a half, so that it bounces centrally of a goal and bounces in, isn't an impressive skill, it's something that any professional footballer should be able to do, and given socceram's crossbar challenge, is something that lots of them can do (while they were aiming for the crossbar and falling short, it's a sign that the distance and the direction isn't that difficult).

Rooney's shot only goes in because the goalkeeper turned his back losing the flight of the ball then trips over trying to turn and find it again.

On Goals on Sunday they showed Beckham's (imo, more impressive because it was a dead ball, and on the half way line with a goal keeper who was better position to stop it) Suarez's (equally impressive because while it was closer it does go direct rather than bouncing in the 6 yard box, and had a well positioned keeper to beat), and Alonso's (probably most impressive - own half, dead ball, though did rely on Harper slipping over as he scrambled to save it). Yet, they seemed to think Rooney's was the best because he did it at 0-0 rather than at the end of a game that was already 2-0.

To be honest, I was more impressed with Toure's third goal.

Is this just another example of me not being so easily impressed by goals, or is Rooney's overrated?

I agree totally. I was actually going to reply that I preferred Toure's third goal which was a work of genius, but you have even said that.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Rooneys goal has to be credited at least 50% to the AWFUL goalkeeping. If he'd been in position it would've been a very very simple catch.

But surely you have to give Rooney credit for noticing where the goalkeeper was?

And I am not a Rooney fan, and I think there were better goals scored over the weekend.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But surely you have to give Rooney credit for noticing where the goalkeeper was?

And I am not a Rooney fan, and I think there were better goals scored over the weekend.

He saw the goalie was out of position. I don't think you can give Rooney credit for the fact that the goalie then decided to do a bizarre spinny dance for about THREE SECONDS (a very long time in football) while the ball was in the air. He could've calmly turned to face the ball, and simply walked about 3 steps to the left, and caught it very very easily. It was COMICAL goalkeeping.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The simple fact that posters are having to go back years, in some case decades, to find goals they believe are of a better spectacular quality than Rooney's yesterday only serves to highlight just how good it was.

Dean Cox's goal was just 18 months ago. League 1 players don't get recognition from the press.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He saw the goalie was out of position. I don't think you can give Rooney credit for the fact that the goalie then decided to do a bizarre spinny dance for about THREE SECONDS (a very long time in football) while the ball was in the air. He could've calmly turned to face the ball, and simply walked about 3 steps to the left, and caught it very very easily. It was COMICAL goalkeeping.

having watched it again, I am forced to agree with your assessment of the situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here