Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney's Goal Overrated?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The simple fact that posters are having to go back years, in some case decades, to find goals they believe are of a better spectacular quality than Rooney's yesterday only serves to highlight just how good it was.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The simple fact that posters are having to go back years, in some case decades, to find goals they believe are of a better spectacular quality than Rooney's yesterday only serves to highlight just how good it was.

They don't have to go back years to find goals that are of a better spectacular quality - in my opinion two of the other Prem goals yesterday fit this description.

But yes, it's rare to score from that distance - so there aren't many recent examples that are similar goals.

That Cox one above is far superior in my book.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
That Rooney goal was good, but the hype around it has been ridiculous. Tettey's goal for Norwich was better, but it wasn't Rooney for Man Utd, so is being virtually ignored.

As far as very, very long shots go, Rooney's goal was not fit to lace the boots of:
Beckham v Wimbledon (what a pathetic poll on MOTD)
Matt Taylor for Portsmouth (can't remember the opponents)
Figueroa's free kick for Wigan
...and that's just off the top of my slightly fuzzy feeling head.

So yes, Wayne Rooney's goal was over-rated.
Bolded is my favourite 'half-way' style goal. I seem to remember Taylor scored an equally good goal the week after as well.

Rooney's goal was OK but Tettey's for Norwich was the best yesterday.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Didn't Xavi Alonso score a long ranger for Liverpool a few years ago? Can't seem to find it.....maybe I imagined it

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Rooneys goal has to be credited at least 50% to the AWFUL goalkeeping. If he'd been in position it would've been a very very simple catch.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
It's a good goal but that third Yaya Toure goal from yesterday I could watch on loop for hours. He hits it like a free kick, outrageous strike. Those who say the prem is lacking in quality just need to look at some of the goals from yesterday, there are some truly world class players in that league.

This - Rooney's goal was great but Toure's third was sheer brilliance.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
That Rooney goal was good, but the hype around it has been ridiculous. Tettey's goal for Norwich was better, but it wasn't Rooney for Man Utd, so is being virtually ignored.

As far as very, very long shots go, Rooney's goal was not fit to lace the boots of:
Beckham v Wimbledon (what a pathetic poll on MOTD)
Matt Taylor for Portsmouth (can't remember the opponents)
Figueroa's free kick for Wigan
...and that's just off the top of my slightly fuzzy feeling head.

So yes, Wayne Rooney's goal was over-rated.

The Matt Taylor goal was against Everton.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Let's he honest, it's a hit and hope isn't it.

Yes. A hit and hope with brilliant vision, unbelievable technique and a supreme confidence in his ability to try it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Isn't every shot 'hit and hope'?

But it's Rooney and Man U so we have to come up with all sorts of reasons not to give it any credit.

Yes. A hit and hope with brilliant vision, unbelievable technique and a supreme confidence in his ability to try it.

Brilliant vision? :lolol: I think you've over thought it a bit, he didn't even look up before he struck the ball.

He's already said he's tried it loads of times in training with zero success, this one just came off on the big day.

Its no different than when a keeper kicks a big gaol kick that bounces over the opposition keepers head, looks good on camera but its a fluke.

Thats why they only come off once in a blue moon.

Fair play to him for having a go, but wasn't even the best goal of the Premiership weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here