Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Bridge

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Afraid not.

Ward is on a minimum of £25k per week. Guess we are paying £10k of it like we did with bridge.

Signed new contract when was playing best football of his career in prem.

That's different - the OP implied it was what they were being paid by us. That said I don't believe anyone on here really knows what players are paid anymore than they know what I'm paid.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As class as Bridge is/was, I actually think Ward is perfectly capable for this level and even above with his experience, so I am not as worried as I was, about losing Bridge.

Bridge did look dangerous when he came on yesterday, skinning Calde quite a few times

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As class as Bridge is/was, I actually think Ward is perfectly capable for this level and even above with his experience, so I am not as worried as I was, about losing Bridge.

Bridge did look dangerous when he came on yesterday, skinning Calde quite a few times
That's the point though, he is class.
It's one thing being skinned by Bridge, and possibly whoever at QPR.
But it's completely different story when talking about the other 21 left sided attacking players, in the division.

Who won't Bridge skin this season?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bridge is the class of the division at FB so no surprise that he made an impact when he came on.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Some people need to open their eyes or obviously don't go to games. Bridge was their main attacking threat when he came and put in several dangerous balls, it was lucky Upson and Greer had good games and that they had their star striker sent off first half. Don't forget though that Calde was on a yellow second half and the ref handed out cards for every single tackle/foul, I think he's got some undeserved stick on here.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Felt a bit for Calde, as i'm sure that after playing together for a season, they both know who is faster and I think it may give Bridge a psychological edge. (Not that he needs any help !)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Bridge offers an extra dimension going forward but on the evidence so far Ward is defensively no less competent. No worry.
Calde needs to practice his shooting to become the most potent attacking fullback in the league. The team know his defensive shortcomings and compensate for it. No problem.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
[/U]

Wow! because Bale became the highest transfer Ronalda threw a strop .....so they double his wages ....so he is on...£15M A YEAR I would love £15 grand a year....but us plebs who pay their wages...will do so because we love footy.l....

But for how long?

How long can you hold the game in the highest respect whilst its athletes abuse the system? How long before one turns away? That is what worries and interests me (and you too by the sounds of it.)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But for how long?

How long can you hold the game in the highest respect whilst its athletes abuse the system? How long before one turns away? That is what worries and interests me (and you too by the sounds of it.)

Why question the price of football & footballer's wages? Do people question the millionaire tennis players, or millionaire pop stars and the price of concerts/gigs?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Why question the price of football & footballer's wages? Do people question the millionaire tennis players, or millionaire pop stars and the price of concerts/gigs?

Totally agree. The habit of quoting what players earn each week doesn't help. I'm sure there are a lot of crap pop stars who earn similar amounts 'per week' without ever being criticised for it.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
My stepson used to work for a building society (I'm not going to name them) dealing with mortgage applications.

A well known Premiership footballer (not an international, but everyone on this board will have heard of him) applied for a mortgage and my stepson was very surprised my how low his wages were.
Not low by yours or my standards of course, but much lower than 'reported' wages of premiership footballers.

Never quote a press report as an impeccable source, anyone who doesn't believe the press make up stories is deluded.

What a footballer earns and what he says he earns are probably two completely different things....

T.A.X.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Well to be honest I do question that too.

But, now you raise the matter I would say that as sports people footballers are less deserving of the rewards they get over others.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well to be honest I do question that too.

But, now you raise the matter I would say that as sports people footballers are less deserving of the rewards they get over others.

They provide entertainment as do the others. Fans have the choice whether to pay & watch. Tv games are in demand. It's market forces.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
They provide entertainment as do the others. Fans have the choice whether to pay & watch. Tv games are in demand. It's market forces.

Yes, I understand market forces. My original question related to how long the force would be in the market. How long will football remain the attractive proposition that it believes itself to be? It is not uncommon to see empty stadia, we even see fans on NSC quietly hoping we do not get promoted because of what the premier league brings. I also tire of the modern footballer as an athlete I would want my son or daughter to hold in high regard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here