Wayne Bridge rumours [Merged]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How much did it cost us to take Blobby Savage on loan ???

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I am sure Bridge will do good job. He is a footballing left back who likes to get forward - so if Gus can get his head right which he did with Vicente - I look forward to seeing him marauding down the left for us.

It just leaves me a bit cold that we are taking a player that (a) we can't afford - to me the rules on this are plain wrong and (b) a bloke who clearly doesn't like the actual game - he is just good at it.

I assume there are no young left-backs available to us that could do the job - because I would feel far happier with one of those.

It's not our fault City are paying him well over the odds of his true value. Young players are nice to have but I get the feeling Brighton are in a 'looking to win now' mentality for this season.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Bridge is seen often in the wine bars of Alderley Edge and Wilmslow, surrounded by wannabe WAGS who want a portion and a slice of his £90k a week.

Whether he can be arsed to give up his mansion for another year and live in a hotel in Hove is questionable.

No fire in his belly, that's the problem.

Exactly my view.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does his GF still live down here either in Brighton or reasonably near by, at least within daily travelling distance. I am sure I read that she stayed down here because of work in London

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I understand what you're saying, but I'm curious as to how you've arrived at (b). Could you elaborate?

You are at the prime age for a footballer. You are really good at what you do. I mean really good - you have played for your country. You are at a top club in the country, if not Europe. Wouldn't you just want to play the game and make your mark ?

He seems the sort of bloke who is happy to turn up and take the money (and that part of it I understand) - whereas what he should have done over the past few seasons is to make sure he is playing every week. If he loved the game I think he would. However I suspect it is just something he is good at.

I may be completely wrong - but post Saints - that is the impression he has given me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not our fault City are paying him well over the odds of his true value. Young players are nice to have but I get the feeling Brighton are in a 'looking to win now' mentality for this season.
But it still sticks in the craw. I don't like the fact a smaller club can take players on loan for a fraction of their wages from bigger clubs, and then boss the league. Apart from anything else, it just provides a tailor made excuse for maintaining the status quo - one where moneybags clubs can have players on £100k a week languishing nowhere near their first team. Bridge should be a Premiership player earning what he's worth, which in today's market is probably around £20k a week.

I'm an Albion fan and obviously want us to have a good side, but the whole thing stinks really.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Is this a tabloid view or is it the truth? I'm just being devils aardvarc. I know/read nothing of his private life so I'm genuinely interested.

Mancini's view as well reading into what he has said about him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You are at the prime age for a footballer. You are really good at what you do. I mean really good - you have played for your country. You are at a top club in the country, if not Europe. Wouldn't you just want to play the game and make your mark ?

He seems the sort of bloke who is happy to turn up and take the money (and that part of it I understand) - whereas what he should have done over the past few seasons is to make sure he is playing every week. If he loved the game I think he would. However I suspect it is just something he is good at.

I may be completely wrong - but post Saints - that is the impression he has given me.
But he's on £90k a week. I love football, but if I was asked to forgo a fair chunk of that to play football elsewhere, I have to admit I would struggle. The real problem is that he is grossly overpaid, and that makes it difficult for him to play football anywhere else.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Bridge is seen often in the wine bars of Alderley Edge and Wilmslow, surrounded by wannabe WAGS who want a portion and a slice of his £90k a week.

Whether he can be arsed to give up his mansion for another year and live in a hotel in Hove is questionable.

This. Used to be a talented player but is more suited to the "Showbiz" pages than the sports section these days.
Maybe Gus will be able to give him the kick up the arse he so badly needs?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

There were not many expressing that view when Cardiff had Bellamy. The rules are just wrong. If you can't afford to pay his wages - you can't afford him.

However - the rules are the rules - so welcome Wayne.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But he's on £90k a week. I love football, but if I was asked to forgo a fair chunk of that to play football elsewhere, I have to admit I would struggle. The real problem is that he is grossly overpaid, and that makes it difficult for him to play football anywhere else.

He has had chances to go on load and get his full whack - like he is doing with us. But where has be been for the last few years ? A few games with West Ham ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

That all sounds plausible. Hopefully Gus can fire him up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There were not many expressing that view when Cardiff had Bellamy. The rules are just wrong. If you can't afford to pay his wages - you can't afford him.

However - the rules are the rules - so welcome Wayne.
Agreed.

He has had chances to go on loan and get his full whack - like he is doing with us. But where has be been for the last few years ? A few games with West Ham ?
If that's true, then I share your concern (and [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]'s).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports