Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Sorry to be that bloke, but I would like to make ONE negative comment.

Murray... I know he offers something different, but it's looking like more of the same from next season
If you meant last season, then I think he'll enjoy much better service this season... presuming GP sticks with him. He was actually quite poor today, and I'll be surprised if he starts him next match.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I just picked my daughter up from the station. Had 5Live on as we were driving home. Conversation was suspended during our match report. I forget the exact wording but the final summary was something along the lines of "if Brighton can adapt to this new style as quickly as this match suggests they could well be the surprise package in the Premier League this season".

My daughter's eyebrows shot up. I did a seated jig and drummed on the steering wheel.

Calm. Keep calm.

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
Result aside, it was a performance which I wanted to see. The players showed they are keen to take on Potterball and Watford didn't have an answer to it! What was obvious was that Watford didn't play well but I think part of that was due to how we stopped them playing with our pressing.

Special mentions to Burns, Stephens, Propper and Montoya. They pressed superbly and laid the foundations for our attacking play in the first half. Kudos to Potter to throwing on two strikers instead of sitting on the a 1-0 lead (that's not a dig at Hughton as I should imagine most Managers would try and defend that). He wanted to be brave and he wanted his team to be brave, boy did we see that today!

I remember we won 3-1 away to Burnley on opening day before and we ended up being relegated so let's take one game at a time, however the signs are good and each week this squad will get better and better. No one can expect to keep their place in the side as there appears to be so much competition, Webster will be inching to get on, Trossard, Mooy and Ali J will be desperate to be apart of this as well.

Really looking forward to the West Ham game now!

Yes, yes and yes. The exciting thing is how much we've improved in such a small amount of time. So many positives today plus so much we can improve upon. Things won't always be this rosy but really enjoying this result. It's great being an Albion fan today.

:bhasign:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Played our way out of the press; Watford were chasing shadows. My tip for relegation before the season began.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do you have a link please?

Sorry, every time I find it online, the PL are blocking it instantaneously ... they must have a team working overtime at weekends to spoil :down:.

I got lucky because Radio Sussex must’ve aired it all 7 times in their show up until 6pm.

Perhaps something will appear on youtube when the heat’s off.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sorry, every time I find it online, the PL are blocking it instantaneously ... they must have a team working overtime at weekends to spoil :down:.

I got lucky because Radio Sussex must’ve aired it all 7 times in their show up until 6pm.

Perhaps something will appear on youtube when the heat’s off.
Ok, cheers mate.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Only just occured to me that Ali J didn't even make the squad today.

Not worried as he obviously wasn't needed but it doesn't say much about his chances with us this season not to have even made the 18. I know it's only 1 game and he may well get his chance but if he doesn't get much game time by January I wonder if the club will try to move him on.

Just shows our relative strength now that even though he had a poor season last year, a £14m player for us can't make the match day squad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Only just occured to me that Ali J didn't even make the squad today.

Not worried as he obviously wasn't needed but it doesn't say much about his chances with us this season not to have even made the 18. I know it's only 1 game and he may well get his chance but if he doesn't get much game time by January I wonder if the club will try to move him on.

Just shows our relative strength now that even though he had a poor season last year, a £14m player for us can't make the match day squad.

£17m.

Hopefully he’ll come back physically stronger, that will help his game in the PL.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A quick glance at the mainboard thread titles and reading this thread I'm glad to see we are not getting too carried away after the first match :D

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
As he does with many of our foreign players Warren Aspinall often struggled with his pronounciation of Mäenpää on the few occasions that he played, but today during his post match punditry he managed to pronounce it absolutely perfectly.... Unfortunately at the time he was actually talking about Maupay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here