Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Watford sack Pearson

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
More detail from The Athletic :

"It’s understood Pozzo and technical director Filippo Giraldi had raised concerns in recent weeks about some of the tactical decisions that Pearson had made, bringing poor starts in the majority of matches after lockdown, and this was the final straw.
In a match Watford could ill afford to lose, it’s thought the decision to replace the injured Etienne Capoue with Tom Cleverley rather than a more defensive option of Nathaniel Chalobah disappointed the hierarchy, who watched on as two goals were conceded within the first 10 minutes."

Cheers for posting that. It makes you wonder if you were a manager thinking of applying for Watford, you'd have to consider what the set up would be like. They sound very hands on. I can imagine that would p*ss of Pearson and he doesn't seem like the sort of person who sit there quitely.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Cheers for posting that. It makes you wonder if you were a manager thinking of applying for Watford, you'd have to consider what the set up would be like. They sound very hands on. I can imagine that would p*ss of Pearson and he doesn't seem like the sort of person who sit there quitely.

As I understand it, Watford maintain a club team of management support staff, meaning the manager effectively comes in alone, unlike e.g. Potter bringing his assistants with him from Swansea. That must be a deal-killer for a lot of managers.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They'd just won 2 in a row to give them a great chance of survival before playing in-form West Ham. Yes, they now have ManCity and Arsenal, but to get to 34 points, you could argue Pearson has done well. A point from these last two games might well be enough.

If they stay up, they'll be vindicated I suppose, but go down, and they're going to look mighty stupid for doing this.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
More detail from The Athletic :

"It’s understood Pozzo and technical director Filippo Giraldi had raised concerns in recent weeks about some of the tactical decisions that Pearson had made, bringing poor starts in the majority of matches after lockdown, and this was the final straw.
In a match Watford could ill afford to lose, it’s thought the decision to replace the injured Etienne Capoue with Tom Cleverley rather than a more defensive option of Nathaniel Chalobah disappointed the hierarchy, who watched on as two goals were conceded within the first 10 minutes."

How on earth can a manager run a club on this basis? You can't have someone wondering what the owners think every time you pick a team.

Yet twats like Andre Gray who have parties during lockdown continue to be employed.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
How on earth can a manager run a club on this basis? You can't have someone wondering what the owners think every time you pick a team.

Yet twats like Andre Gray who have parties during lockdown continue to be employed.

This will happen with Italian owners. Football is different there to here in that they all - players, managers, coaches, media, fans and owners - talk about actual match tactics a lot more than we do here and a lot of the owners and their associates will genuinely take an interest in this and think they know better.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pearson won't be out of work for long. He may be an abrasive character but he generally does well with his teams. If he can find an owner/CEO who will tolerate his methods, he could prove to be very successful.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Pearson won't be out of work for long. He may be an abrasive character but he generally does well with his teams. If he can find an owner/CEO who will tolerate his methods, he could prove to be very successful.

I think the opposite is true.

I have a feeling that he isn't that bad a Manager but he is so confrontational that only desperation led Watford to appoint him after they were turned down by others. Obviously, someone would take the job because they were throwing money at staying up.

Someone abrasive like Pearson might have been what was needed with an under performing side in December but that isn't the type of person who can work in jobs for long periods. He is always going to be just a fine thread away from another bust up and most clubs won't work with someone like that for any length of time. So a short term Appointment with Watford probably fitted both Parties at that point.

Other Clubs don't follow the Watford Mantra - So I can't see many other Clubs turning to him in the future but I do concede he did well to keep them up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think the opposite is true.

I have a feeling that he isn't that bad a Manager but he is so confrontational that only desperation led Watford to appoint him after they were turned down by others. Obviously, someone would take the job because they were throwing money at staying up.

Someone abrasive like Pearson might have been what was needed with an under performing side in December but that isn't the type of person who can work in jobs for long periods. He is always going to be just a fine thread away from another bust up and most clubs won't work with someone like that for any length of time. So a short term Appointment with Watford probably fitted both Parties at that point.

Other Clubs don't follow the Watford Mantra - So I can't see many other Clubs turning to him in the future but I do concede he did well to keep them up.

Maybe - although I think the fact that he is quite a decent manager will get a few clubs thinking.

He needs to find the right club. His managerial record is pretty good - a win ratio of more than 40% (especially since he's tended to take on clubs near the bottom of their leagues)

Look at how Sean Dyche fits in with Burnley. I remember Dyche as a player and he wasn't too dissimilar to Pearson. And, as a manager, I imagine that's pretty hard core ... but he found the right club in Burnley. If Pearson could find a club like that, he could do well but, I agree, most wouldn't want the hassle.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Maybe - although I think the fact that he is quite a decent manager will get a few clubs thinking.

He needs to find the right club. His managerial record is pretty good - a win ratio of more than 40% (especially since he's tended to take on clubs near the bottom of their leagues)

Look at how Sean Dyche fits in with Burnley. I remember Dyche as a player and he wasn't too dissimilar to Pearson. And, as a manager, I imagine that's pretty hard core ... but he found the right club in Burnley. If Pearson could find a club like that, he could do well but, I agree, most wouldn't want the hassle.

Sean Dyche is very good with his players and always sticks up for them.

I don't know Pearson at all but there are always loads of stories floating around that he falls out with them. To me he is a victim of the Wealth in Football.

The really wealthy players. They just down tools if they choose to. - Pearson's style of Man Management seems to be ''One Heavy Sick Beats All'' - That might work further down the Leagues but some of these players at the Top - Some of them ''need to have their balls tickled '' and told how wonderful they are and Pearson doesn't strike me as someone willing to tickle anyone's balls.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The really wealthy players. They just down tools if they choose to. - Pearson's style of Man Management seems to be ''One Heavy Sick Beats All'' - That might work further down the Leagues but some of these players at the Top - Some of them ''need to have their balls tickled '' and told how wonderful they are and Pearson doesn't strike me as someone willing to tickle anyone's balls.

Oh, I agree that he's not really going to cut in the PL. But I think he could well with a L1 or L2 team where that approach could work.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Could someone take my turn being Watford manager? I'm due to be there for 7 weeks from Febuary 10th next year, but, something more permanent has come up, so I can't make it now.

Thanks muchly.

I don't think that they are interested in such a long term appointment.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20200720-140445_Chrome.jpg

Local rag giving a clue to what happened after NP was sacked :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here