Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Water flossers... Opinions.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
My dental hygienist has suggested I get one and recommend one that I've just looked at and costs over £200.

That's not going to happen.

There's a a bewildering array of them available and I was wondering if any of you fine folk have and recommendations for one at a more modest price?

What with Amazon's festival of spending on shit I was looking at £50ish as long as that gets me something that is any good.

Any thoughts?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’ve got the Phillips one £120. They are good and easier than flossing, but I use it in the shower as it goes EVERYWHERE

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I’ve got the Phillips one £120. They are good and easier than flossing, but I use it in the shower as it goes EVERYWHERE

Sounds FUN

Is it like this one? Down from £120 to £80 at the moment.

Still a bit steep for me but it's not far of the price of one hygienist appointment

Attachments

• 81B9SDj6UPL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    81B9SDj6UPL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 43

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Use a Philips one, think it was about £70. much easier than flossing which can make my gums bleed. Air flosser can get to places normal string floss can’t.

Never found it messy at all. It all stays in your mouth (or should do!)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Gimmick just like the ridiculously priced electric brushes with things like Xmas tree lights and Bluetooth app. For flossing Satin Tape much easier to use than the string like floss.

Luddite! It's this kind of thinking that would have kept us living in caves.

Fair point though.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My dental hygienist has suggested I get one and recommend one that I've just looked at and costs over £200.

I do wonder if they get some kind of kickback from the manafacturer for recommending their high-end products. I needed to replace my electric toothbrush last year and my dental hygenist recommended a $400 one. I ignored that and went for a $100 option, which was still a step up from my previous one. I've had 2 visits since and my dental hygiene is still fine despite using this "cheap" toothbrush.

As for water flossers, I assume the retail ones aren't as powerful as the ones the hygenist uses? Those things can be quite painful on the gums.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Have a look on eBay for Philips or Water Pik. They’re the 2 main brands. Should be able to get something for £40-50 (new or refurbished). You don’t need a fancy model.

Cheers, I'll hold fire until Friday as that's when the next Amazon festival of conspicuous unnecessary expenditure kicks off. £50 is what I'm looking at .... Not sure about refurbished though, tooth brushes and underpants are the two things that I draw the line at for second hand.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i was today years old when i knew such a device existed, first world non-problem and tragic waste of money.
It’s quicker than flossing, less painful, easier.

Maybe you still ride around in a horse and cart because who needs a car, really.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I do wonder if they get some kind of kickback from the manafacturer for recommending their high-end products. I needed to replace my electric toothbrush last year and my dental hygenist recommended a $400 one. I ignored that and went for a $100 option, which was still a step up from my previous one. I've had 2 visits since and my dental hygiene is still fine despite using this "cheap" toothbrush.

As for water flossers, I assume the retail ones aren't as powerful as the ones the hygenist uses? Those things can be quite painful on the gums.
Funnily enough my hygienist put me on to this (and recommended mid range) and for toothbrush just advises a £20-£30 OralB / Phillips rather than anything fancier

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Kinky.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Cheers, I'll hold fire until Friday as that's when the next Amazon festival of conspicuous unnecessary expenditure kicks off. £50 is what I'm looking at .... Not sure about refurbished though, tooth brushes and underpants are the two things that I draw the line at for second hand.

£50 ?

61FZdC+-24L._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

And £47.01 in change :thumbsup:

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes

That's not going to happen.

There's a a bewildering array of them available and I was wondering if any of you fine folk have and recommendations for one at a more modest price?

What with Amazon's festival of spending on shit I was looking at £50ish as long as that gets me something that is any good.

Any thoughts?
Maybe get a more reasonable hygienist

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here