Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Watches

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Watches are one of my weaknesses.

I have a couple of vintage Omegas, a 1950's Universal Geneve, a modern IWC Portofino, and for my sixtieth birthday this year a friend of my son's who works at Omega got a staff discount and my wife got me a Globemaster. It is a thing of beauty, mechanically recognising jumps in the month and adjusting the day date accordingly.

There is no logic behind it at all, I bought a rip off copy watch for a fiver in a market in Durban before lockdown (didn't want to wear a decent watch in South Africa) and it is more accurate than a thirty grand Patek. But mechanical movements have a soul, that is all there is to it.

I have resisted the urge to get a Rolex so far because they are inferior mechanically to the competition (they always say if you want to impress your mechanic get a Rolex, if you want to impress a watchmaker buy an IWC) and vastly over priced. They do have great cases mind.

The argument for them is that they hold their value better than any make other than the holy trinity (Patek, Audemars, Vacheron) so I will probably succumb and get one, eventually. I like the Sky Dweller but it is pricy. The Milgauss looks good too, although my Globemaster has ten times the anti magnetic capacity! I'd never buy a Datejust, what a pile of overrated and overpriced crap. Bought by watch ignoramuses...

I was asked to race a car at LeMans a few years back. Mike ( RIP) my co driver and I got a top ten finish and won the index - cue prize giving, massive trophy and a Patek . . . . JR the car owner gave all the trophys etc to the car preparers workshop and saids he'd sell the watch to pay for the race . . . . . I couldn't argue, it was a fantastic gift/opportunity to have raced there.

I had to use a pair of mole grips to lever my fingers open on my other hand and give it back :rolleyes: I'm sure it was lower end of their market, but still very nice.

I totally agree about the soul of a mechanical watch, even an old Timex wind up!

winners-small.jpg

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
9d53f784a4e5e0362f998bb77f8c2d5f.jpg

My current daily is an Oris Aquis Hammerhead edition which only 2,000 were made. Lovely daily watch and has the right weight and size for me.

I had started saving up to extend the collection with a Bremont next on the agenda but it’s an expensive hobby and feel my money could be better spent during the current pandemic, so I brought a new set of Titliest wedges instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Can you advise any numbers on that ? I'm thinking of buying a Rolex (or similar higher-end) watch as an investment but my most expensive watch is a Seiko which cost me about £300.

Are you going vintage or new?

Be careful if second hand (although that is where the bargains are).

If you buy from a dealer you will pay top dollar, if you get it off the internet there are a lot of fakes around and frankenwatches. I bought a beautiful Longines off the web. When I took it to my watchmaker he said the movement was genuine (and in great condition) but the dial had been touched up. That affects the value.

Still a lovely watch but I felt a bit of a mug. It was cheap, mind.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Used to like watches and have a little collection where the best ones are a Longines Evidenza and a Zenith.

However a recent purchase of a samsung 46mm watch is a game changer. Unlimited free faces, easy change straps and bracelets which are cheap from internet, waterproof and of course has notifications, health stuff, NFC etc etc.

If I feel bored - change the face and strap - new watch. cost me £200 ex demo but cant see me ever buying a watch watch again.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
9d53f784a4e5e0362f998bb77f8c2d5f.jpg

My current daily is an Oris Aquis Hammerhead edition which only 2,000 were made. Lovely daily watch and has the right weight and size for me.

I had started saving up to extend the collection with a Bremont next on the agenda but it’s an expensive hobby and feel my money could be better spent during the current pandemic, so I brought a new set of Titliest wedges instead.

That's a beautiful watch.

Oris is a ridiculously underrated brand. Fantastic value for money.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Never seen the point in them personally, quick look at the phone tells you the time.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
That's a beautiful watch.

Oris is a ridiculously underrated brand. Fantastic value for money.

One of the few remaining independent Swiss makers that haven’t been brought out by Swatch.

I like the independence of the firm which is why Bremont is also on the radar

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Never seen the point in them personally, quick look at the phone tells you the time.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
They're jewelery. Anyone who says otherwise it's just kidding themselves.

Nothing wrong with that but all the "water resistant to 1000m" stuff and calling them a Sky Emperor or something is just nonsense.

It's a bracelet that tells the time.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
They're jewelery. Anyone who says otherwise it's just kidding themselves.

Nothing wrong with that but all the "water resistant to 1000m" stuff and calling them a Sky Emperor or something is just nonsense.

It's a bracelet that tells the time.

Personally, I like the detail and workmanship that goes into them. Some expensive watches are absolutely vile (see Richard Mille), but a beautifully made watch doesn't need to be expensive. Have a look at some Seikos for 100-300 quid. All mechanical and mostly in-house movements.

Of course, you can pick up a £300 Hugo Boss, Armani etc watch with a quartz movement and yeah, it's a fashion item that tells the time.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Personally, I like the detail and workmanship that goes into them. Some expensive watches are absolutely vile (see Richard Mille), but a beautifully made watch doesn't need to be expensive. Have a look at some Seikos for 100-300 quid. All mechanical and mostly in-house movements.

Of course, you can pick up a £300 Hugo Boss, Armani etc watch with a quartz movement and yeah, it's a fashion item that tells the time.
Yeah I do understand why some people are into them. It's just that the basic function of a watch (telling the time) is kinda irrelevant now that everyone has a phone.

So it's a trinket/fashion item basically. As I said, nothing wrong with that (although it doesn't surprise me that our pompous, latin quoting Leeds dick is a big fan [emoji23]).

Each to their own. Lots of people drive terrible cars "well it gets me from A to B" and I can't understand that mentality.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah I do understand why some people are into them. It's just that the basic function of a watch (telling the time) is kinda irrelevant now that everyone has a phone.

So it's a trinket/fashion item basically. As I said, nothing wrong with that (although it doesn't surprise me that our pompous, latin quoting Leeds dick is a big fan [emoji23]).

Each to their own. Lots of people drive terrible cars "well it gets me from A to B" and I can't understand that mentality.

I have had a watch as long as I can remember and when I haven’t worn it I have to confess to being annoyed that I have to take my phone out of my pocket to check the time ( having checked my wrist first of course)

A phone is no substitute for a watch...imo, although it’s handy if you haven’t got your watch on for some reason

I wear it as a badge of pride that I have never owned a “shit” car too (although back in the day I did buy my wife a nasty green DAF as a runabout, she has never forgiven me either ):lolol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I have had a watch as long as I can remember and when I haven’t worn it I have to confess to being annoyed that I have to take my phone out of my pocket to check the time ( having checked my wrist first of course)

A phone is no substitute for a watch...imo, although it’s handy if you haven’t got your watch on for some reason

I wear it as a badge of pride that I have never owned a “shit” car too (although back in the day I did buy my wife a nasty green DAF as a runabout, she has never forgiven me either )[emoji38]ol:
[emoji23]

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I guess I usually either have my phone in my hand, next to me or if it's in my pocket then I'm in the car (which tells me the time) or it's on the desk next to my PC or laptop (which tell me the time).

Still got my Grandad's watch though.

A DAF is proper harsh btw. I don't blame her for still being annoyed. [emoji23]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I guess I usually either have my phone in my hand, next to me or if it's in my pocket then I'm in the car (which tells me the time) or it's on the desk next to my PC or laptop (which tell me the time).

Still got my Grandad's watch though.

A DAF is proper harsh btw. I don't blame her for still being annoyed. [emoji23]

In fairness I couldn’t complain if she’d left me :lolol:

It’s a classic now apparently

3AD4E687-C239-4E59-8D61-BDA975EA4A26.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here