Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Watches

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I too love watches.

Don't necessarily have to be overly expensive so long as I live the look of them. At the moment I have about 30 watches 29 of them though either sit in a drawer with either a broken strap or needing a new battery.

I simply buy a new one every time a battery runs out or a strap breaks. So much so I can look at every one individually and tell what age I was when I was wearing each one. Almost like a time diary in my life.

Watch straps tend to break on me and I can't wear really big watches because I have wrists like Kermit the Frog. Even though I really like big faces and big straps. And I can't wear metal straps because I can't always get them right enough to look good when I wear them on such skinny wrists.

I currently have a fabulous Blue Ice watch and this one has lasted 4 years and like it so much that I even replaced the battery twice and the strap once.

Reading this thread made me look at all my old watches in my drawer. It was a really nice nostalgic trip back in my life in we the years. Even to one's my mother bought me for birthdays when I was young:D

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Watches don't need to be expensive, but I do like a mechanical watch its engineering and precision is a thing of wondfer and beauty. but ultimately if it tells the time and looks nice, great

This is my dream watch . . . . significant birthday next year if anyones thinking of geting me a present ;-)

http://www.onthedash.com/4sale/Cortina5100/Cortina5100C.html

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I have an army issue watch. The metal back is protected by a bit of fabric. My brother (a watch expert) tells me it's to stop the back of your hand getting burnt in very
hot countries where metal temperatures can soar in heat. I guess it's made for desert terrains and climate. Don't wear it much, but would never part with it.
When I go to have a new battery fitted, the jeweller always comments on its relative uniqueness.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Watches don't need to be expensive, but I do like a mechanical watch its engineering and precision is a thing of wondfer and beauty. but ultimately if it tells the time and looks nice, great

This is my dream watch . . . . significant birthday next year if anyones thinking of geting me a present ;-)

http://www.onthedash.com/4sale/Cortina5100/Cortina5100C.html

It's nice, but if I'm getting a Cortina I'd prefer this.

Lotus-Cortina-Custom-768x592.jpg

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Love watches , started off with a couple of older Omegas and a couple of years ago upgrade to a Rolex datejust 2012 model , black dial with steel strap , auto . One previous owner . Costs me just over £2,800 from a London dealer but so worth it. I love it , the feel of it , the way it sits on my wrist etc

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have a collection of casio digitals... literally 15 of them, all under £20, I keep them in a watch case so I can see them hehe

I get a lot of joy out of them for something so cheap.

My daily watch is the Casio F-91W a whopping £8 I believe, but a design classic bit of retro I love it.

My brother has a rather nice collection at the other end of the market, he's just dropped close to 3k on a Tudor watch.. if you know your watches... you know apparently !

I have a Tudor Heritage Ranger. Love it, no gizmos just a great everyday old fashioned watch. Poor man’s Rolex without the bling effect :thumbsup:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
As a big sea swimmer it's got to be a Citizen Eco Drive dive watch for me. 11 years of trouble-free accurate timekeeping service to date (as long as you give it sufficient daylight exposure) and the original strap still in mint condition in spite of regular salt water immersion. Great battery-free watches that look great too.

Another vote for this. Looks great, keeps time well. The perfect watch.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think Tudor, Like Christopher Ward, and I'm sure others, have hit the nail squarely in offering quality without the ludicrous price tag.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think Tudor, Like Christopher Ward, and I'm sure others, have hit the nail squarely in offering quality without the ludicrous price tag.

Well I know what you mean... but 3k for a watch is still madness as far as I am concerned, but its half the price of a Rolex.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Not a swimmer, but on my second eco-drive - love the multiple time zone capability and the solar power (no winding or battery replacement, ever) and robust as hell.

Also on my second eco-drive ...first lasted 15 years or so and was wafer thin and kinetic powered (a 'w@nker's watch' I always said). Still have it and could get it repaired but bought by my ex-wife so has zero sentimental value!

Now have the solar variety and has dual timezones, alarm and stopwatch so does everything I could want from a fairly dressy day-to-day watch.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've a Rolex Submariner and a Tag Aquaracer, the only comment I'd make to people is the value is maintained by the condition and the service history, so be aware of the servicing costs before making your purchases if you are doing any purchases as an investment. If like me you're not doing for that then suck it up and enjoy your watch!

Can you advise any numbers on that ? I'm thinking of buying a Rolex (or similar higher-end) watch as an investment but my most expensive watch is a Seiko which cost me about £300.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Can you advise any numbers on that ? I'm thinking of buying a Rolex (or similar higher-end) watch as an investment but my most expensive watch is a Seiko which cost me about £300.

Two years last January I had to have my Rolex Explorer 2 serviced due to my own carelessness. I had forgotten for some reason to wind the crown down and was fiddling about with the swimming pool up to my elbows. Not a good combination with the chlorine etc. as I found out. A local repaired did his best but after a year it was necessary for Rolex - Madrid to service and rebuild it. The cost 1100 euros, but it did come back looking like new. In fairness I had obtained it (complete with papers and boxes) for £300 in 1986 so it certainly doesn't owe me anything.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Submariner service alone is £475 and takes about 12 weeks

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My Monaco needs a service, looking at about £500 I think . . . . I didn't realise how expensive they are now . . . I've had mine 15 years, they've doubled in price new since then!

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Watches are one of my weaknesses.

I have a couple of vintage Omegas, a 1950's Universal Geneve, a modern IWC Portofino, and for my sixtieth birthday this year a friend of my son's who works at Omega got a staff discount and my wife got me a Globemaster. It is a thing of beauty, mechanically recognising jumps in the month and adjusting the day date accordingly.

There is no logic behind it at all, I bought a rip off copy watch for a fiver in a market in Durban before lockdown (didn't want to wear a decent watch in South Africa) and it is more accurate than a thirty grand Patek. But mechanical movements have a soul, that is all there is to it.

I have resisted the urge to get a Rolex so far because they are inferior mechanically to the competition (they always say if you want to impress your mechanic get a Rolex, if you want to impress a watchmaker buy an IWC) and vastly over priced. They do have great cases mind.

The argument for them is that they hold their value better than any make other than the holy trinity (Patek, Audemars, Vacheron) so I will probably succumb and get one, eventually. I like the Sky Dweller but it is pricy. The Milgauss looks good too, although my Globemaster has ten times the anti magnetic capacity! I'd never buy a Datejust, what a pile of overrated and overpriced crap. Bought by watch ignoramuses...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here