Watch buying advice

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Isn't a watch just jewellery? I guess some people just have too much money. If I had spare money I'd give it to charity.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
You can get a proper good fake tag or Rolex for about 200 notes. Evalueshop are the best on the market. I bought. GMT replica with a Swiss 28 jewel movement for that. Took it to a jeweller recently...totally cheekily...they said it is genuine! I defy ANYONE to spot it's a snide. Had it for 3 years now. Never lost a second.

I've got a genuine Tag 1500, the fake is far far better.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Oh my the watch snobbery these old mechanical watches were fantastic in their day when you had to pay loads to get the quality workmanship but watch manufacturing has moved on

for your £400 you can buy a very nice looking very reliable and far more accurate watch than the old mechanical watches ever were or could be.

Look at something from the citizen Eco drive I range where you can get a quartz movement PV powered never needs a battery, time automatically updates via a radio signal from the atomic clock each night which makes this far more accurate than you are likely to need plus water resistant to 30 meters stainless steel case and strap, crystal glass plus comes with a five year warranty

Now there is a challenge you old mechanical watch fans I would like to see you match this with a mechanical watch for under £400 in fact I think you would struggle for under £7,000

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Bouncing an old thread.

Am considering getting a Citizen EcoDrive watch (link below). Online reviews seem very good, the watches are the ones powered by light. Anyone own one of these? Are they worth it or a poor brand and liable to break in 3-5 years?

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-citiz...led-eco-drive-watch-jy0100-59e-p99937739.html

A very good brand hence the five year warranty which Rolex omega tag etc cannot match

I have known citizen watches to run for twenty years with no problems

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Only last point is you pays your money you take your choice for me spending thousands on a watch that tell the time less accurately than one for a few hundred makes no sense

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You clearly don't get it, and as such are absolutely right to NOT waste your money.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh my the watch snobbery these old mechanical watches were fantastic in their day when you had to pay loads to get the quality workmanship but watch manufacturing has moved on

for your £400 you can buy a very nice looking very reliable and far more accurate watch than the old mechanical watches ever were or could be.

Look at something from the citizen Eco drive I range where you can get a quartz movement PV powered never needs a battery, time automatically updates via a radio signal from the atomic clock each night which makes this far more accurate than you are likely to need plus water resistant to 30 meters stainless steel case and strap, crystal glass plus comes with a five year warranty

Now there is a challenge you old mechanical watch fans I would like to see you match this with a mechanical watch for under £400 in fact I think you would struggle for under £7,000

To take your argument to the extreme though, you would be stupid to pay the £400. You can get a very accurate digital watch for £20.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
You can get a proper good fake tag or Rolex for about 200 notes. Evalueshop are the best on the market. I bought. GMT replica with a Swiss 28 jewel movement for that. Took it to a jeweller recently...totally cheekily...they said it is genuine! I defy ANYONE to spot it's a snide. Had it for 3 years now. Never lost a second.

I've got a genuine Tag 1500, the fake is far far better.

Take it to Frank Patten in Hove and he'll spot it as fake, guaranteed! If you want to know about watch snobbery talk to Frank. He'll destroy brand Rolex, Tag etc. Once spent 20 minutes getting a lesson about quality mechanical movements from him. A real master horologist.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
To take your argument to the extreme though, you would be stupid to pay the £400. You can get a very accurate digital watch for £20.

True can not argue I could have suggested a Casio for around the £20 mark which will tell the time very well and last years

What I was trying to do was suggest a watch that is comparable in general looks to the really expensive mechanical watches

I liken it to paintings in the Middle Ages paintings were the only way to get a true likeness of anyone was to paint them and the greatest painters were and still are seen as great exponents of this however once cameras were invented it made this form of art largely defunct.
I think the same can be said with mechanical verses quartz watches, the old mechanical were great in their day but their day has past and what we are left with is watch snobbery

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
True can not argue I could have suggested a Casio for around the £20 mark which will tell the time very well and last years

What I was trying to do was suggest a watch that is comparable in general looks to the really expensive mechanical watches

I liken it to paintings in the Middle Ages paintings were the only way to get a true likeness of anyone was to paint them and the greatest painters were and still are seen as great exponents of this however once cameras were invented it made this form of art largely defunct.
I think the same can be said with mechanical verses quartz watches, the old mechanical were great in their day but their day has past and what we are left with is watch snobbery

So, to expand your argument further, there is now no merit in paintings, either? Or any other form of craftsmanship that can be more accurately be produced by a machine?

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Always buy and wear Citizens, the Red Arrow is no different to this one which I have just purchased from what I can see: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0019K9X1W/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, which was on offer for £299 over the last couple of weeks. As Bozza states, the Red Arrow is too fussy.

Always enough light around to keep the internal battery charged, and never have to worry and take the Citizen's off whilst in the shower, swimming etc., this one is water resistant too 200M (not all the Eco-Drives are WR). I like the idea that this one sync's to the atomic clock, so always accurate (not that I have ever had a problem with acuracy with a Citizen).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, to expand your argument further, there is now no merit in paintings, either? Or any other form of craftsmanship that can be more accurately be produced by a machine?

There's no point in Brighton & Hove Albion. I mean, Arsenal are just so much better at playing football.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
If you are in the USA, then I advise you to look at Bulova, especially the Accutron, Great watches, I have 2 of them.

Not just the US, following their sponsorship of Man Utd, Bulova have gained a greater profile in the UK. They retail few H Samuels and a few independents. I own this beauty

0033114_mens-bulova-champlain-diver-precisionist-96b156.jpeg

It retailed at £400 when I bought it but people i've asked said they would pay £600. Nice sized, weighty watch.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Bouncing an old thread.

Am considering getting a Citizen EcoDrive watch (link below). Online reviews seem very good, the watches are the ones powered by light. Anyone own one of these? Are they worth it or a poor brand and liable to break in 3-5 years?

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-citiz...led-eco-drive-watch-jy0100-59e-p99937739.html

Very good brand. Ecodrive technology is award winning. The 5 year guarantee is the longest amongst the high street brands. Not my cup of tea looks wise but each to their own.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010

No I am not saying that at all of course there is merit in the skill of the artist or craftsman it just becomes superseded but the next new thing and what is left lives in museums as examples of great art and skill.

All I am saying is to purposely buy a watch for huge amounts of money compared to an alternative for much less I think is only
watch snobbery

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports