Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watch buying advice

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Looking at Seiko, Oris and Tissot now. Cheers lads :)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
When the thread has done giving the OP advice along the lines he requested (and there are some great ideas already posted), can we have a thread on aspirational watches, pretty please? I don't want to hijack this thread so won't post mine here, but may open a new thread in a couple of days if this thread hasn't morphed into that by then.

OP - you really have been given excellent advice here; I've little to add, except don't rule out getting a second hand manual mechanical if you can't run to a new one. I picked up a steel 1970s Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso for about £700 a couple of years ago. Took a bit of finding mind and I know it's about double your budget, so of only marginal help, I guess.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Festina. Awesome looking watches and still relatively inexpensive. Will become more expensive as their reputation grows. Have a look.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The Classic Watch Company shop in Brighton Square is possibly the best shop in the World for decent used watches, save up & go quality

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you can stretch your budget buy a Cartier, purchased mine around 20 odd years ago for £800 and it is absolute perfection - never needed to buy a watch since.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Watches are a sign someone is overkeen on their status and the seeking of observers......if they simply want to know the time spend a fiver.

the "i am important, i have lots of money to buy an expensive watch, and i always need to be somewhere" type vibe for me, subjectively, makes me cringe so much my face twists.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sure hope this good weather continues.....

mainimage.jpg

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
I picked up a steel 1970s Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso for about £700 a couple of years ago. Took a bit of finding mind and I know it's about double your budget, so of only marginal help, I guess.

I know nothing about watches, but Googled to have a look at your watch and they are stunning. These ones are beautiful!

Attachments

• 21195.jpg
    21195.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 165
  • jaeger-lecoultre-grande-reverso-duodate-watch.jpg
    jaeger-lecoultre-grande-reverso-duodate-watch.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Jaeger-LeCoultre-Reverso-GMT-18.jpg
    Jaeger-LeCoultre-Reverso-GMT-18.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 157
  • reverso_02.jpg
    reverso_02.jpg