Watch buying advice

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A "watch simulator"?

i gather that the watch aficionados are looking down on timepeices using a quartz crystal to keep time, rather than a real mechanical movement. i can see there point, though equally would simply object to paying over the odds for a fashion brand. imo Armarni should stick to clothing and leave the watches to the watch makers. i wouldnt buy a Tissot suit.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Watches are a sign someone is overkeen on their status and the seeking of observers......if they simply want to know the time spend a fiver.

the "i am important, i have lots of money to buy an expensive watch, and i always need to be somewhere" type vibe for me, subjectively, makes me cringe so much my face twists.

Or, alternatively, the owner of a mechanical watch may get pleasure from the knowledge that they can be reminded of the fact that somewhere in the world the ability to create highly complex mechanisms and manufacture to incredible tolerances still exists, simply by looking at their wrist. Not one person has ever noticed which watch I'm wearing, afaik; certainly no one has ever passed comment. Nor do I want them to.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I know nothing about watches, but Googled to have a look at your watch and they are stunning. These ones are beautiful!

Yes, I think there is something timeless about a JLC Reverso, and I love the Art Deco look. Also, you can flip the entire case over to protect the crystal when you're out and about. That doesn't hold for the "Duo" range which has a face on both sides, something I've always thought rather detracts from the point, but horses for courses, I guess. Mine is closest to the last image you posted, but a bit older.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I've got what I think is a lovely Seiko Titanium kinetic auto-relay divers watch. Had it six or more years and it's brilliant. worth a look and about on your budget. Titanium.....Cool!

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Those that have said you might as well buy one of the Chinese ones. Chances are that Armani,timberland etc. get their watches made in china anyway. They will def have a Chinese movement. I changed the battery in my other halfs Karen millen watch recently...it had a cheaply made Chinese movement in it...total rip off.

The OP should get himself a second had Tag sports watch for about 200 notes. Swiss movement will last forever and has tons of retro cool.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Anyone own a Breytenbach automatic?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dear OP, if you re-read my previous post when sober you will see I responded to every question you asked. As regards the particular watch you are asking after, yes the Ebay ones are the same as jewellers ones as I've already told you. No one makes fakes of cheap watches. If you want that "watch" get it from whoever does it cheapest.

For ****s Seiko, cool your boots

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You should definitely all choose Omega, Longines or Tissot,

(as this will help my Xmas bonus.

Unless any of you are stupid loaded, then you can go for Glashute or Blancpain to help it more)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Bouncing an old thread.

Am considering getting a Citizen EcoDrive watch (link below). Online reviews seem very good, the watches are the ones powered by light. Anyone own one of these? Are they worth it or a poor brand and liable to break in 3-5 years?

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-citiz...led-eco-drive-watch-jy0100-59e-p99937739.html

Errrm. An iPad is about the same price and has (marginally) more functionality.

Each to their own, I guess! :thumbsup:

3-5 years is about right, I'd guess. There are a lot of things to go wrong, at a low price point (for the amount of complications). Never a great mix...

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Those that have said you might as well buy one of the Chinese ones. Chances are that Armani,timberland etc. get their watches made in china anyway. They will def have a Chinese movement.

Sorry - missed this post at the time.

You are completely wrong about Timberland, and probably wrong about Armani.

Timberland's watches are made under licence by the Swatch Group (Omega, Swatch, Rado, etc) and all contain Swiss movements.

Armani are made under licence by Fossil, who are American. They own various facilities in Switzerland AND China, and production is shared between them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bouncing an old thread.

Am considering getting a Citizen EcoDrive watch (link below). Online reviews seem very good, the watches are the ones powered by light. Anyone own one of these? Are they worth it or a poor brand and liable to break in 3-5 years?

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-citiz...led-eco-drive-watch-jy0100-59e-p99937739.html

Probably last well, I imagine.

Far too fussy for my eye, though.

If you're looking at spending £400-500 perhaps consider a Christopher Ward - http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men.html

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bouncing an old thread.

Probably last well, I imagine.

Far too fussy for my eye, though.

If you're looking at spending £400-500 perhaps consider a Christopher Ward - http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men.html

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Christopher Ward are excellent for the price. If you can stretch to the £500-750 budget then Glycine are well priced.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
I call upon the font of all knowledge for a little advice please!

Have finally decided to buy myself a nice watch having saved about £400 to do so, but have quickly discovered what a minefield it is. Spotted a gorgeous Emporio Armani watch at £379 in jeweller and all reputable stores (John Lewis, Watch Hut, main jeweller chains) are selling it at this price. The model is AR5889. Found some listed on eBay brand new priced £130-180 which must be fakes? Although the sellers have high feedback, apparently Chinese fakes are extremely common and often indistinguishable from the real thing with people never knowing.
basically they seem too cheap, seeing as the watch is RRP at all reputable retailers. There's also a few Amazon sellers (but not amazon themselves) selling the watch for sub -£200 which is almost half the price everywhere else. Am I right to be suspicious?

Finally I'm off to Vegas and California next week and my original plan is just to buy the watch from an official stockist over there at RRP (works out around £280 so still around £100 cheaper) but might I encounter counterfeits there too?!

All advice greatly received :) thank you!

If you are in the USA, then I advise you to look at Bulova, especially the Accutron, Great watches, I have 2 of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports