Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was yesterday's attendance announced anywhere?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
That's what was put up on the screens but as we know it isn't true. East stand looked approx 15% empty from WSU.

The tickets were sold regardless. Get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's what was put up on the screens but as we know it isn't true. East stand looked approx 15% empty from WSU.

You do know what the official attendance figure is, right? ???

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They might as well announce it as 85,000 for all the meaning it has these days.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
You do know what the official attendance figure is, right? ???

I am sure we all know what the official ATTENDANCE figure is. The problem is it's not an ATTENDANCE figure at all it's a ticket sold figure. Not a thing to go mad about but I do regret that you have to guess actual attendance and I also dislike the misuse of language.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the ST sharing scheme could perhaps work if it were changed. Load the cost onto the ST for nominating potential people they could pass their ticket onto - a fee for each name which could use the ticket multiple times - and maybe impose a limit on the number of games this could be done ( 50% ? ).

Anyway, I'm not sure the scheme in it's current form works particularly well :shrug:

Once again neither me or my son had our ID or Covid pass checked. It is very easy to pass on your ticket under this protocol but, of course, at one point they may decided to check every supporter one day, like the do with commuters at Faversham station (and a clutch of feckless chavs all get fined).

I agree that it is very clunky though. If it weren't for Mrs T and her perseverence I would have given up this season. One of my brothers has given up.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The tickets were sold regardless. Get over it.

In which case why not add the resells to the pretendence to come up with a new figure including both that really measures the “true” attendance? We could all stay away one week to create a new record crowd of 62,000+ and when other teams fans say “there’s no one there” we can smugly retort with “yes there are, we sold the tickets and that’s all that matters…”:ffsparr:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The Club should start doing what airlines do soon, oversell the seats and bank on their being enough no shows to stuff everyone that actually turns up into seats, thereby creating a new record attendance 2000 above the official capacity.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am sure we all know what the official ATTENDANCE figure is. The problem is it's not an ATTENDANCE figure at all it's a ticket sold figure. Not a thing to go mad about but I do regret that you have to guess actual attendance and I also dislike the misuse of language.

My point was simply that someone asked what the official attendance is and someone else pointed out that the official attendance did not appear to map to the number of bums on seats. Like this is a dawning of an extraordinary revelation.

To give this context, I think 'pretendance' was coined as a term on NSC more than 5 years ago. Even recently we had a long discussion about it. It is tickets sold. I think we are required to report it like this by the league. I find it interesting as it seems to give a visual indicator of the strange forces that drive people to purchase a ticket and yet not turn up. If this is what the person to whose post I alluded meant, and that he's intrigued about whether it may be 10, 15 or 20%, then fine.

Some people, however, think this lying is reason enough for Barber to be sacked and is yet another example of how the moneymen have ruined our game.

Others feel that owing to this rather queer take on things, it is fair game to remark about it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Club should start doing what airlines do soon, oversell the seats and bank on their being enough no shows to stuff everyone that actually turns up into seats, thereby creating a new record attendance 2000 above the official capacity.

And leave hundreds fuming in the departure lounge (Dick's bar).

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
In which case why not add the resells to the pretendence to come up with a new figure including both that really measures the “true” attendance? We could all stay away one week to create a new record crowd of 62,000+ and when other teams fans say “there’s no one there” we can smugly retort with “yes there are, we sold the tickets and that’s all that matters…”:ffsparr:

Try sending your inane suggestions to Barber. I am sure he will appreciate them. Meanwhile, he will continue to look at number of tickets sold, just like every other ****ing club leader.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Try sending your inane suggestions to Barber. I am sure he will appreciate them. Meanwhile, he will continue to look at number of tickets sold, just like every other ****ing club leader.

I wouldn’t waste his time. This is NSC.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And leave hundred fuming in the departure lounge (Dick's bar).

I was joking, but truthfully, if a game was sold out, and there was nothing else, I would consider taking a standby seat, watch the first half on a screen in Dicks Bar, or elsewhere in the hospitality areas, and get a seat in the stadium somewhere if there are seats that haven't been scanned at the turnstile by half time. Say £25 for a standby, refund of £20 if you can't get a seat, which you would probably spend in the bar anyway, could maybe sell a hundred of those and stick the funds into AITC?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So is that a record official attendance then (for the AMEX)?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

I suspect his boss might care, lots of empty seats being broadcast around the globe doesn't look great when you're trying to establish your club as a credible PL force. I'm sure the players don't think it's particularly great either, especially bearing in mind our league position and good start.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village

Quite. The question that fans (as opposed to advertisers, sponsors and accountants) want answering is....

How big is the crowd?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I suspect his boss might care, lots of empty seats being broadcast around the globe doesn't look great when you're trying to establish your club as a credible PL force. I'm sure the players don't think it's particularly great either, especially bearing in mind our league position and good start.

I suggest you take a look at the same proportion of empty seats at all Prem games, then understand the context

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here