Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Was there an England game at the Goldstone in the '90s?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sorry - very random thread - an old friend just asked me if I remembered going to see an England game at the Goldstone in the 90s... I definitely do not!

Was there one (presumably under-18s or something?) and are the line-ups available anywhere if so?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
There is a thread about that game here:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I remember the U21's v Norway in 1977... Wardy scored a hattrick; and an England B international v Italy 1989 in the run up to the World Cup.
Thank you! Definitely not that one though as neither of us would've been born!

el punal

I remember the U21's v Norway in 1977... Wardy scored a hattrick; and an England B international v Italy 1989 in the run up to the World Cup.
I was at the U/21 England v Norway game, standing on the West stand terrace. From what I remember, the attendance was 18,000+, we had just installed new floodlights, and there was a bloke next to me complaining that the crowd was too noisy! :facepalm:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There was a B team game I think in which Paul Gascoigne played.
Yes I went to the game

It was against v Italy B

14.11.1989 Score was 1-1

Att 16,125

Starting lineup:​

GoalkeeperNigel Martyn
DefenderTony Adams
DefenderGary Pallister
DefenderPaul Parker
Defender/Left backTony Dorigo
MidfielderDavid Batty
MidfielderPaul Gascoigne
MidfielderMichael Thomas
MidfielderDennis Wise
ForwardSteve Bull
ForwardMike Newell

Starting lineup:​

Gianluca PagliucaGoalkeeper
Marco LannaDefender
Diego FuserMidfielder
Salvatore SchillaciForward
Marco Baroni
Angelo Carbone
Luca Pellegrini
Ruggiero RizzitelliForward
Stefano Rossini
Stefano Salvatori
Giovani Stroppa

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Under Ron Greenwood England trained at the Goldstone prior to a few games at Wembley. Apparently our pitch was the same surface, grass and mud!

el punal

Under Ron Greenwood England trained at the Goldstone prior to a few games at Wembley. Apparently our pitch was the same surface, grass and mud!
I wonder if our groundsman, Frankie Howard, scattered green coloured sawdust on the pitch to make it look lush and well cared for. When he found out that Match of the Day were covering our Div.3 fixture against Aston Villa in 1972 he practiced this art to perfection. All, but those on the pitch, were full of admiration. Hats off to Frankie! :bowdown:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I wonder if our groundsman, Frankie Howard, scattered green coloured sawdust on the pitch to make it look lush and well cared for. When he found out that Match of the Day were covering our Div.3 fixture against Aston Villa in 1972 he practiced this art to perfection. All, but those on the pitch, were full of admiration. Hats off to Frankie! :bowdown:
Yes no doubt he did bless. Something that was practised at Lords on the wicket ends as well. Back then you never witnessed a worn pitch at the home of cricket.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I remember it well. Nigel Martyn got stick for being ex Palace. I think he had only just moved away from them to Leeds.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not sure, but I watched New Zealand get beaten by the mighty Albion there in 1992!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yeah. Gazza played. Was quite entertaining.
It was POTG. I came down but was shut out as the Goldstone had reached capacity, lots of people wanting to see Gazza. I remember a mate told me that during the game, the ref blew up for something, Gazza picked the ball up and threw the ball hard down, but killed it dead by catching with his slightly raised foot, causing the ref to go and pick the ball up and give it a squeeze to make sure it was not deflating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here