Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was there a better site than Falmer

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
With Johnny Canter to announce the results.
Good one.

Do you know the origin of the word 'canter'?

When pilgrims travelled from London to Canterbury, they had to ride at a 'Canter', or a Canterbury pace (between a trot and a gallop), to reach the safety of the Canterbury city gates by nightfall.

Apologies for the historical digression. Back to the horsey puns..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good one.

Do you know the origin of the word 'canter'?

When pilgrims travelled from London to Canterbury, they had to ride at a 'Canter', or a Canterbury pace (between a trot and a gallop), to reach the safety of the Canterbury city gates by nightfall.

Apologies for the historical digression. Back to the horsey puns..

Don’t apologise, I love historical anecdotes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If there was some way of picking up the Amex and dropping it on Corals, then I'd be all over that like white on rice.

(not basmati)
The old Corals fitness and squash club now shut due to being built out of RAAC - which is probably about as strong as freshly boiled white rice…

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Not sure if mentioned already, but wasn't the site next to Brighton station which now has Sainsburys and housing etc a consideration but for whatever reason we couldn't? or did I imagine that?
Haven't read through this thread but no, you didn't imagine it - that would have been a superb site, city centre stadium, great transport links, steep seating like many spanish stadiums, more enclosed so superb atmosphere, pubs bars and food outlets on the doorstep, massive financial benefit to the city etc etc etc but a crap Sainsbury's supermarket and a load of crap inner city housing won over instead.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Haven't read through this thread but no, you didn't imagine it - that would have been a superb site, city centre stadium, great transport links, steep seating like many spanish stadiums, more enclosed so superb atmosphere, pubs bars and food outlets on the doorstep, massive financial benefit to the city etc etc etc but a crap Sainsbury's supermarket and a load of crap inner city housing won over instead.

The land, owned by Railtrack? was worth a great deal, whilst the Albion had very little money. Scrabbling together a couple of land purchases for the Amex, one a 125 year lease with BHCC, the other from a playing awkward Brighton University (£1.75m?).

The Albion would never have been in the running to buy the site by the station, out of their ‘league’.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Mate, we all get a bit misty-eyed about the Goldstone and it's central location from time to time, but this idea is really for the birds. As has been said, it would have inconvenienced not just fans but absolutely everybody by sending Brighton into gridlock every single matchday (as if it wasn't bad enough already). Even if that had been approved (and the inconvenience to everyone else had been ignored), the city simply wouldn't have coped with those numbers every other weekend.

Modern day Albion have needed to cope with enormous gates, the likes of which The Goldstone *very* rarely had to cope with and as such the congestion was infrequent. The 11 Amex years have seen average gates rise from 20,000 (a high figure in a historical context) to 31,000. That ain't changing any time soon. For context, we had only averaged 20,000+ five times in our history before the Amex was built (4 of those seasons were back-to-back in the 1970s).

Source: http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/bha.htm

My opinion is that if there were better sites (and I doubt there were, given the work put in my so many knowledgeable people) then the incremental improvements we would be seeing from that site would have been trivial. So it is what it is and the club needs to be looking at fixing the issues. It's one thing having a half empty East stand with 15 minutes of the game (including injury time) still to be played, but what happens when we inevitably go down? How many fans (esp the elderly and those with young kids) will even bother going when they know all about the transport problems?

The club does need to alleviate the transport issues somehow. The only thing I can think of is by providing a huge uptick in immediate park and ride services. It is far more of a pressing issue than building a fan zone anyway.
I can't disagree with any of that, much as I'd like to, TheGoldstone is home, and always will be.
But, your last para . . . Yes the club needs to do something . . . Park and ride . . . I don't get it. It just moves congestion slightly furhter away to create another gridlock, more diesel fumes, bla bla . . . . So . . . walking, cycling, covered walkways? , decent trains maybe (oh no, that won't happen) . . .M O N O R A I L ! Sussex UNI to St Peters Church, with a BtN UNI stop on Lewes Rd . . . . how can that not improve . . . . Well, everything!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The land, owned by Railtrack? was worth a great deal, whilst the Albion had very little money. Scrabbling together a couple of land purchases for the Amex, one a 125 year lease with BHCC, the other from a playing awkward Brighton University (£1.75m?).

The Albion would never have been in the running to buy the site by the station, out of their ‘league’.
I know, pity though.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I can't disagree with any of that, much as I'd like to, TheGoldstone is home, and always will be.
But, your last para . . . Yes the club needs to do something . . . Park and ride . . . I don't get it. It just moves congestion slightly furhter away to create another gridlock, more diesel fumes, bla bla . . . . So . . . walking, cycling, covered walkways? , decent trains maybe (oh no, that won't happen) . . .M O N O R A I L ! Sussex UNI to St Peters Church, with a BtN UNI stop on Lewes Rd . . . . how can that not improve . . . . Well, everything!
Who's paying for it?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If the Albion were shit and playing in front of 14,000 against Middlesbrough on a Tuesday night in the Championship none of these problems would arise. It’s that bloody Tony Bloom and his algorithm that’s the issue.

#BarberOut

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Who's paying for it?
Well . . . There's this tree . . . 😂

There isn't an obvious solution, which merely confirms the poor location. A large car park and better access on/off the A27 would be a big improvement. And shuttle buses from St Peters to Falmer. Getting to Brighton central isn't such an issue.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Shuttle buses from St Peters to Falmer. Getting to Brighton central isn't such an issue.

Pity the bus company hasn’t laid on matchday specials that run this service. Nonstop from St Peter’s to Falmer for £2 each way. Even if it’s not included in the travel zone (as it’s a special service) I’m sure plenty would be happy to use it.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Pity the bus company hasn’t laid on matchday specials that run this service. Nonstop from St Peter’s to Falmer for £2 each way. Even if it’s not included in the travel zone (as it’s a special service) I’m sure plenty would be happy to use it.

I got the 25 on Sunday from the Pavilion at around 12.50pm. Got to my seat just as the game kicked off. Buses are great when the traffic is okay. When there is congestion as bad as Sunday, it is quicker to walk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I got the 25 on Sunday from the Pavilion at around 12.50pm. Got to my seat just as the game kicked off. Buses are great when the traffic is okay. When there is congestion as bad as Sunday, it is quicker to walk

Yeah I get that but 25 also stops at every bus stop between the Pavilion and Falmer and my fantasy football special wouldn’t.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
A monorail,... singular.... Capacity?... hardly seems the answer to move 20k souls to and from stadium area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here