[Albion] Was there a better site than Falmer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
What was the car capacity of Bennett’s Field? Just wondering how much of an impact this would have if a settlement could be reached?
I think it was approximately 600. Once the outcome of the public inquiry into the proposed student housing is known then this could be option again if planning is refused and the owners abandon any ambitions to develop the site.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was talking to a bloke (who is in “transport”, and not down the pub!). Basically, there is nothing more the club can do apart from influence those providing the transport service. The crux of it is the whole rail system needs huge upgrading - more staff, more updated rolling stock, more investment etc. The crude terminology would be you can’t polish a turd. He also stated that the number of buses being in service cannot be increased due to to severe lack of drivers. So, unfortunately, us suffering fans just have to suck it up.

Admirable intentions by the club when we started at the Amex back in 2011. Then, of course, the capacity was 22,000+. I would imagine that no one expected us to consistently fill the stadium for every game or that we would be in a situation of having regular attendances of close to 32,000 and playing in Europe.

The club have moved onwards and upwards, it’s a shame that the transport providers have failed to match it.
To be fair to the transport providers, it probably wasn't envisaged that we'd leave the EU and face labour shortages in so many areas.

But I can't believe people are suggesting places like Waterhall, Toads Valley and Beeding - areas that would be wholly reliant on cars. Can you imagine how long it would take 10,000+ cars to get away from Waterhall? People would have to leave 30 minutes into the game.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I didn't say that - but it's certainly something that would have had an effect. So would the knock-on effects of Covid, that would also have had an effect. And that's something else that the club couldn't have envisaged.
I think the problems we are seeing on the trains is down to a number of factors:

1. Less provision from Southern. Pre-Covid we typically had 6 trains per hour, most if not all, lengthened. My observation is now we get about 5 per hour with just the odd one lengthened.
2. Loss of Bennett's Field parking.
3. Stadium capacity increase of around 1000.
4. More sell outs and fewer no-shows.

Lengthening Falmer station platforms and replacing 2 four-car 377 trains with 12-car class 700 units would give an enormous capacity increase of over 5000 per hour and reduce the train queues massively.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'm not so sure...

A central location would make the transport plan even more reliant on rail, wouldn't it? Imagine that with the current standard of train services.

There are no available car parks for a decent number of cars, and no space to park numerous coaches.

Falmer has pretty decent road connections, being bang on the A27 - a central Brighton location wouldn't give you that. With any volume of additional football traffic, the whole area could be gridlocked for hours.
it's obviously slightly moot as timing wise it didn't work out but...

if it had been next to Brighton Station you'd have trains coming from the west, north and east all serving the stadium and within walking distance, rather than the current situation where the majority have to change at Brighton.

You'd also have the majority of B&H bus routes serving the stadium and it would be walkable from the town centre and various residential areas

yes, parking would be an issue but if you think of somewhere like St James' Park which is in a central location, that's not really a factor there as it's served by other modes of transport.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To be fair to the transport providers, it probably wasn't envisaged that we'd leave the EU and face labour shortages in so many areas.

But I can't believe people are suggesting places like Waterhall, Toads Valley and Beeding - areas that would be wholly reliant on cars. Can you imagine how long it would take 10,000+ cars to get away from Waterhall? People would have to leave 30 minutes into the game.
Couldn’t Waterhall have been serviced by a fairly near new (matchday only perhaps) railway platform and walkway ?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Couldn’t Waterhall have been serviced by a fairly near new (matchday only perhaps) railway platform and walkway ?

this was ruled out at the time. Too close to the tunnel

not sure it would help that much anyway, the majority would still need to change at Brighton so you'd have a similar situation to what we have now. One difference would be that most of our opponents come from the north so it would be better for most away fans

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I haven't read all this thread as it's been done to death, but......
I suppose this type of thread will come up every few years when we have another wave of youngsters growing up and more fans joining. I'm sure the report of the eight or so 'alternatives' could be googled, as could the suggestions by some of the opposition to a football stadium. I remember reading that report and the laughable reasons for said 'alternatives'. I remember how I felt when we finally got the go ahead. I remember walking the dogs up over Falmer Road and seeing the now iconic images for myself.
I remember the first league game.
Qualifying for Europe was fantastic, but it will never be the same as actually seeing the stadium....our stadium being built. We could qualify for Europe again, there is only one Amex

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
the "most viable" alternative in the end was Sheepcote Valley- all the others had been completely ruled out.

I dread to think what getting 30,000 people in and out of that place would have been like (of course, the opponents to Falmer tried to claim that it was basically a comfortable stroll from Brighton Station :ROFLMAO:)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If you have drawn the male organ on the A27 from memory, I suggest you seek urgent medical attention. The angle of entry into Waterhall is also somewhat ambituious for a man of your advancing years.
35 miles up the A23 is where to draw that

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'Was there a better site than Falmer?' No. Discussing alternative sites, however daft they were, is akin to pissing in the wind.
We can't change the past. But we can change the future.

Perhaps a better question might be:
'Is there a better transport plan than the one currently being delivered?'

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this was ruled out at the time. Too close to the tunnel

not sure it would help that much anyway, the majority would still need to change at Brighton so you'd have a similar situation to what we have now. One difference would be that most of our opponents come from the north so it would be better for most away fans
it would be worse as all the passengers to east or west coast would pile on to the same trains to change later (or yet worse, stay on the platform waiting for their train to Hove). assuming all trains on matchdays stopped. plus a lack of bus services, Falmer already has a few for univeristies. Waterhall was and remains a shitter idea than Falmer which is why it wasn't chosen.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sadly it was all about circumstances.

Had we not be asset stripped and still retained ownership of the Freehold of the Goldstone, and now see how much land has become available for development bordering the old ground, we could have stayed put and redeveloped the stadium in stages, a bit like they’ve done with Anfield, Elland Road and ironically Upton Park, where West Ham were asset stripped the other way round.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Very much this. Most other developed nations will increase the rail service for events, the UK does the opposite. It’s the London to Brighton bike ride, let’s ban bikes instead of putting on extra bike carriages. Its the Stamner Park music festival, let’s close Falmer because it will be too busy. Etc etc.
Totally agree, Brighton Pride being an example when they close Preston Park Station, also let’s not forget Coventry Arena Station closed on match days 😂 Although I’m reliably informed that although it was initially closed it’s now available on game days.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Totally agree, Brighton Pride being an example when they close Preston Park Station, also let’s not forget Coventry Arena Station closed on match days 😂 Although I’m reliably informed that although it was initially closed it’s now available on game days.
Pretty sure that if the Albion were to withdraw the travel subsidy and the payments to their 'travel partner' then Falmer station would be closed on matchdays 'for safety reasons'. Same as it for the rare gig that's held at the Amex

Last edited:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I suspect many would be a lot happier with the time taken to get away from the ground if the queues for the trains and P&R were covered, the car park stewards were over 18 and trained in safe traffic management and the police managed the traffic on the A27 slip roads and roundabouts. All of which (bar the latter) is doable by the club if they cared about this issue.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Yeah there was better site but it was in my back yard and I wasn't having any of it... sorry everyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports