Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was the atmosphere last night a bit underwhelming ?

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
You would have cringed? Now I know for certain that you are a WUM. If not, you need to get a grip :lolol:

Go ahead and cringe…I think Roland may have been there AND filming it :eek:
He was walking along right behind me last night. I recognised his voice and turned round to say hello and completely froze and bottled it and turned back round and walked off!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Yeah it wasn't great. Lots of empty seats in the east stand. Took a picture of it from the WU.

Just watched Ronald's YouTube for this match. About equal amount empty in West as in the East I'd say.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Think a lot of the crowd ends up nervy and tense during these matches. If we were winning 3-0 it would have been a different matter.
This. It's no coincidence the best atmosphere we've ever produced in the Premier League was against Chelsea. Had we been in a similar position last night I would have expected the atmosphere to have reached similar levels.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
This is passion NOT “there were pockets singing” or “we occasionally sung” or “it was a bit nervy so we sat there saying nothing”.

Do one- it was a great atmosphere for the most part and it got nervy but not in a silent way. We react the what's going on on the pitch a lot more in this country (which i like for the most part), and we hadnt beaten them for ages, being pegged back on numerous occassions very much against the run of play. So yeah, it got very edgy/nervy as the 2nd half dragged on without much goalmouth action.

Palace fans were very quiet a lot of the game - again reacting to what they're seeing on the pitch coupled with how things have gone this calendar year - most obviously very pissed off with the circumstances. Just how it is in this country. Doesn't mean we're not passionate - just shown in a different way. Hence it feels fake when pockets of fans try to emulate ultras abroad - just doesn't work well in this country hence its always a small number of spotty youngsters who make an embarrassment of themselves generally (I know a number of palace fans who all cannot stand their ultras)

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s a weird stadium I’ve heard the players say it was a fantastic atmosphere and I’ve thought it was pants in the NS. I was in the South for that game against SW the 2-1 and the NS seemed such a long way away and hardly head them although it was a good atmosphere.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I took my boy for the first time and after all the build up I gave it, even he said it wasn’t as loud as he thought it would be.

I was in the west lower by the south so that probably didn’t help. And sometimes I do hope palace score so we can get the aggression going in the crowd, and obviously us win at the end.

Just seemed a bit off last night.
How many songs did you start? If the answer is none then don't complain about the lack of noise.

As it goes IMO it was pretty good last night from WSU and NS and at times it came from all sides, not deafening but certainly good for an Albion home game.

Not sure what your lad was expecting but having been to Leeds and Palace which are 'famous' for their noise I can assure you they were not wall to wall loud noise , Leeds were loud for a few bits of the game but then very quiet, Palace at Selhurst were quiet. Though the acoustics in the latter are poor.

As regards wanting Palace to score to get some noise is an unbelievable comment to make as a Brighton fan .

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It’s a weird stadium I’ve heard the players say it was a fantastic atmosphere and I’ve thought it was pants in the NS. I was in the South for that game against SW the 2-1 and the NS seemed such a long way away and hardly head them although it was a good atmosphere.
I've heard this I'm sure too, years ago. That the noise transmits well to the players on the pitch but not to other blocks of fans in different stands/ends. Maybe someone could ask an explayer who now watches? (paging Ruby).
I saw my first game this season, in the North shelf this time. I did feel it was a bit flat tbh but that's not a criticism of anyone else. It's a shame the North, after all these years, still has 2 or even 3, songs singing at the same time.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I took my boy for the first time and after all the build up I gave it, even he said it wasn’t as loud as he thought it would be.

I was in the west lower by the south so that probably didn’t help. And sometimes I do hope palace score so we can get the aggression going in the crowd, and obviously us win at the end.

Just seemed a bit off last night.
Huh? Daft post. You hope Palace score?

Give your head a wobble .

Let his Mum take him next time.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Think a lot of the crowd ends up nervy and tense during these matches. If we were winning 3-0 it would have been a different matter.
Is that the new one?
From "Won't sing the team if there's nothing to get behind" to Won't sing if we're not scoring any goals" to "Won't sing unless we're 3-0 up".

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As a floater . . . hopefully not for much longer . . . I've been all over the place . . . It sounds and subsequently feels very different depending on location. Anywhere near the south end is a bit 'magnolia' although haven't ventured south of the half way line for a few years now

last night WSL, atmos was good, even heard singing from above at one point. at times the whole ground got going . . .it went quiet because the game was tense and the ref, having let things go, then bottled it, was seemingly against us.

nothing will top the Chelsea game. . That was immense. They are the new Palace

Fromthesouth

Apr 30, 2016
WSU was very good last night, I'm nearer the South stand and thought Palace fans were poor, certainly made a change from having to watch them after they've scored, giving it the biggun to us.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
*Yawn* you’re not a Brighton fan and have never been to the Amex. So really your opinion in this matter counts for nothing. Anyone that was there and supports this team would have felt the tension and would have been feeling it themselves. Watch Roland’s latest video; the atmosphere was actually great just not the cauldron of noise some were expecting.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Yeah it wasn't great. Lots of empty seats in the east stand. Took a picture of it from the WU. Probably a combo of nerves and weather. Also I thought their fans were pretty subdued. Due to them being so shìte I expect.

Also, and only a personal view, I absolutely hate all the naff pyrotechnics and music at the end. Totally kills natural atmosphere. Save that shìt for baseball.
I was in the EL and thought the atmosphere was excellent - the reason for the number of empty seats in the family sections (in the EL) was, I assumed down to it being a school night - those seats are usually packed at the weekend games - and it was a dark, rainy night as well as the late rescheduling not helping.

The EL was pretty good at picking up on the NS chants/singing because we could hear it easily (I started a few myself!) and went on for much of the match in varying intensity.

Throughout much of the final minutes of extra time, (arguably the most tense period of the match )large numbers of us were on our feet in the EL making a lot of noise.

I somewhat agree with the naff light show, I hated the pyrotechnics and music at the end is always naff in terms of content but the atmosphere of us and the club celebrating an elusive win over one of our most bogey teams was brilliant (not as good as the Potter return or Man U last season but for a midweek, rainy evening and for a match that had been rescheduled it was pretty good in my book).

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I have heard and watched a couple of blogs from last nite , and the atmosphere sounded really good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here