Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was the atmosphere last night a bit underwhelming ?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The Amex is not loud trust me. That’s not being negative, it’s just a modern football fact.

Imagine a South American football fan being there last night knowing we are playing our rivals with that atmosphere ! I’d have cringed.
You post as if you are an authority on crowd atmosphere and don’t seem to accept that the perception of the atmosphere might be different according to where you sit. WSU was very loud at times.

Earlier you make a loose reference to being a “hoolie”. If everyone who claims to have been a hoolie actually was, there would have been enough to fight a small war. Prob no more than 100 Albion who actually went into combat in the 70s! I was a North Stander, was pleased to have a few lads around for protection, but was never in active combat.

Just enjoy the victory

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yep 👍 Was decent in WSU as @Hotchilidog said. Don’t understand the need for negativity all the time 🤷‍♂️
Another WSU 'member' here and the atmosphere was very good for much of the game. There was a lull into the last 15 mins as nerves kicked in, but it picked up towards the end of stoppage time with a very loud rendition of SBTS

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Given how quick they are to post on here when Cantona is brought up, linking it to the death of the Palace support a few months later, I expected more of a reaction to the Cantona chants.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Was a great atmosphere overall I thought, but became very tense and nervy in the second half as we all waited for the inevitable equaliser to happen (which thank god for once didn't materialise!)

Really hated the bloody disco music at full time though. Just so, so shit and unnecessary. Killed what would have been a few minutes of singing/taunting palace with 'we're all going on a Europe tour' etc.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Disco music at full time is shit. We've just won a big match - let the crowd sing Albion songs. Boomingly loud irrelevant pop music isn't better just because its louder.

Can someone (FAB? Bozza?) please get this communicated effectively to the people who decide this stuff at the club...??

If we win on Sunday then we want to be singing Wembley songs to the players and RDZ after the final whistle not Freed from F'ing Desire... :dezerbi:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Disco music at full time is shit. We've just won a big match - let the crowd sing Albion songs. Boomingly loud irrelevant pop music isn't better just because its louder.

Can someone (FAB? Bozza?) please get this communicated effectively to the people who decide this stuff at the club...??
Every one around me and the rest of the ground seemed to enjoy the lights and music, Old, young and inbetweeners were all bopping away.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I dunno. I've never left the Amex early, and not sure I've ever noticed us try to create an atmosphere post match. In fact, it feels like more people are lingering at the end of a match since they've started making this a 'thing'

Having said that, last night, it felt like it was the first time in a while I've heard the crowd try to sing after the final whistle (and in fairness to the club, they let that play out a bit before starting the music and light show).

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Atmosphere overall last night was decent given the tenseness of the viewing.

Has been done to death at least a million times on here but just because the singing of the Albion fans doesn't sound loud to you from your seat in the South Stand half of the ground AT TIMES IN THE MATCH WHEN YOU ARE SITTING AND LISTENING TO THE ALBION FANS IN THE NORTH STAND HALF OF THE GROUND SINGING doesn't mean there isn't a decent atmosphere in the ground. The players and manager value the general noise level in a ground and especially the "roars" that go up during exciting passages as much as the singing of songs. The Amex scores consistently well on this definition of atmosphere.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Every one around me and the rest of the ground seemed to enjoy the lights and music, Old, young and inbetweeners were all bopping away.
And they wouldn't have been even happier singing Albion songs to the players and taunting the Palace fans...? Maybe I'm just a bit too old school.

Last edited:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Grow a pair you fanny. This is a forum.
That's it ... resort to abuse! is that a requirement of this forum ... it seems to be the way from some when others make reasonable observations!

I won't resort to abuse back to you ... I won't drop to your level!

Have you actually read the majority of the replies on here which seem to have a different view to you. Are they all fannies too??

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"Disco music"? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: What on earth are you talking about? It's a pop song!
Disco is so 70s, it’s Club music now isn’t it?

I used to work in a Disco but that was err in the 70’s. My kids laughed at me when I asked them if they’d been to a Disco. Club Dad Club not Disco

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To add, I loved the sound from WSU last night, pockets of blokes going absolutely nuts. Was that you @Guinness Boy ?

As well as the near universal Stand Up If You Hate Palace ... I don't normally join in with that that. A wall of noise.

Last night was special on and off the pitch. No post game shit-stirrer can ever take that away from us.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I dunno. I've never left the Amex early, and not sure I've ever noticed us try to create an atmosphere post match. In fact, it feels like more people are lingering at the end of a match since they've started making this a 'thing'

Having said that, last night, it felt like it was the first time in a while I've heard the crowd try to sing after the final whistle (and in fairness to the club, they let that play out a bit before starting the music and light show).

Jason Steele ... the passion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sounded excellent on my stream, and the commentators mentioned the noise and loudness quite a number of times. They're the ones who go to grounds all around the country.
As opposed to " @The Seagull " who I suspect only goes to Selhurst Park

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
This again. There's always one (I assume usually an opposition fan on a wind up) and the answers are always the same:

- Atverage amosphere at the Amex is decent compared to most PL grounds, but if you haven't gone to away games then you won't know that

- Fan culture in England is different from.other parts of Europe and S. America, and atmosphere is more 'organic'.Not better. Not worse. But different.

- expectations vary.

- Amex is a wonderful stadiium in most repects, but accoustics are very shit

Thus people will have different experiences of the same game.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Compared with the first half of the West Ham game (especially that weird bit of near silence at the end of the half), it was positively electric!

Seriously, I thought it was pretty decent from ESL B. Palace didn't offer much – I think the most animated I saw them was during Sussex By The Sea, including one goon in a light-coloured hoodie deciding to conduct the crowd – no doubt thinking it was some kind of hilarious 'own' of the Albion faithful...

Not really sure why the OP has decided to highlight the atmosphere for a game where it was better than usual :shrug:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Groß seeminly loves a bit of Gala, which is good enough for me!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
To add, I loved the sound from WSU last night, pockets of blokes going absolutely nuts. Was that you @Guinness Boy ?

As well as the near universal Stand Up If You Hate Palace ... I don't normally join in with that that. A wall of noise.

Last night was special on and off the pitch. No post game shit-stirrer can ever take that away from us.
Not on my own :lolol:

But yeah, much of G and H block giving it some including our lot. Tremendous fun. I did lapse into nervous silence for much of the nine minutes of injury time only to find my voice again on the whistle.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here