Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ward signs for Burnley

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
Edited for you Stephen

“I’m absolutely thrilled, I’ve had eight years at Wolves now and I was on loan at Brighton last year but to start a new chapter in my career is great," said Ward.

“I don’t think I could have picked a better place than Turf Moor to earn lots of money just to sit on the bench and obviously to come and watch Premier League teams is a massive pull as well."

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He doesn't give a flying f**k. Like Upson he's got the final career payday he needs so how many games he plays etc etc for them of no import. Difficult to blame him, it's another example of agents and players taking us for a ride and we're the mugs. We will only be in a stronger negotiating position 24-48 hours before the window closes and what sort of dross are we going to be scrabbling over then?

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Good luck to Ward,we had 3 moths to sign him and we didn't for whatever reasons we will maybe never be told.
Hope he does well for Burnley. Full credit goes to his agent for securing the best deal for him.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
People saying he wasn't worth the money he wanted are deluding themselves. He was worth it, he was a damn good left back and given he had big boots to fill after Bridge.

We took too long, I assume because our recruitment team assumed Wolves will be desperate to get rid by the time deadline comes close and then cut the price. Ignoring entirely any other team that could have come along and snapped him up.

I cannot fault Ward for choosing Burnley over us, I'll eat my humble pie and agree with those who have been for some time calling for accountability and pinning the blame on the recruitment team.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
This could be another blessing in disguise,Upson is injured and look what happened to Bridge....

I fully expect that we got the best out of Ward and for that matter Buckley and Leo and all the others....

Really we should be laughing,we will see this out...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We got seriously outplayed. Our "long game" with Ward has failed miserably. This should've been sorted weeks ago. I'm not happy.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Some of the replys in this thread are quite embarrassing. I bet most of you were putting the exact opposite on the threads when he was close to signing and the wham he becomes utterly useless overnight because the transfer honchos at the club hardly put themselves out trying to sign him so he chose another club instead. Put yourselves in his shoes I bet you would have gone down the same route

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Was he especially "close" to Barnes?

Can see 31st Aug, as midnight approaches, being like an eBay "who can hold their nerve the longest" to bid at 5 seconds to midnight.
Only to find you were outbid and left with nothing ..... loans4u next

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I can understand why he joined Burnley but I'm really disappointed. He looked like the perfect replacement for Bridge last season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He doesn't give a flying f**k. Like Upson he's got the final career payday he needs so how many games he plays etc etc for them of no import. Difficult to blame him, it's another example of agents and players taking us for a ride and we're the mugs. We will only be in a stronger negotiating position 24-48 hours before the window closes and what sort of dross are we going to be scrabbling over then?

Matty Upson must be laughing his socks off , he needs ankle surgery and will be out for 3 months. By the end of November he'll probably be out of the reckoning for a regular place at centre back that's of course if he is included in Pearson's 25 man named squad.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This could be another blessing in disguise,Upson is injured and look what happened to Bridge....

I fully expect that we got the best out of Ward and for that matter Buckley and Leo and all the others....

Really we should be laughing,we will see this out...

A pattern is emerging. Bridge went to Reading for the money. Upson went to Leicester for the money. Ward went to Burnley for the money. It doesn't really matter if they play many games or not because they'll still get paid more than staying at The Albion

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Was he especially "close" to Barnes?

Can see 31st Aug, as midnight approaches, being like an eBay "who can hold their nerve the longest" to bid at 5 seconds to midnight.
Only to find you were outbid and left with nothing ..... loans4u next

Well, in that case, the club would probably do their deals on September 1st, the last day of the window.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
While no one could blame him for taking the money and us for dicking around, I do find it a bit depressing.

He knew he would play for us every week but decided to take more money somewhere he is likely to play much less. Its the old dilemma, would you change employers for more money even if the job you were going to was less satisfying?

The fact that he has done just that is quite sad.....

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If we buy a better, cheaper, younger LB then we'll have done well won't we. If we buy some crap journeyman we'll have done badly. If we sign no LB at all we're f-ing doomed

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
While no one could blame him for taking the money and us for dicking around, I do find it a bit depressing.

He knew he would play for us every week but decided to take more money somewhere he is likely to play much less. Its the old dilemma, would you change employers for more money even if the job you were going to was less satisfying?

The fact that he has done just that is quite sad.....

Why would the job he would be going to be less satisfying?

Playing against the best players in this country?

Best stadiums?

Bigger crowds?

More chance of getting an international call up?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
He won't be on £25k per week at Burnley - if the £13k is correct for what you were offering, that's probably about right. Rumour has it that Burnley's top wage is about £20k per week, and that will be for Trippier who just signed a new contract this summer. Half a dozen players have signed extended contracts this year, and they aren't going to crack the wage structure and upset them unless the new man is something exceptional.

Burnley currently have 23 players over 21, and the squad rules are max 25 over 21 at transfer deadline date. So Ward won't have a problem, as we have a few spares that we can jettison on loan if need be - Danny Lafferty, now our third choice left back, will be on loan somewhere I dare say.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He'll be a useful squad member for them, to cover left back and left midfield.

The revisionists now pretending that he was rubbish, or that they didn't want him anyway, are embarrassing themselves.

He's certainly not rubbish and I definitely wanted him here. However, he struggled at times with Wolves last time in the Prem and I can't see him setting the world alight in a team certain for the drop. I guess Burnley are planning for when they come back down though.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Why would the job he would be going to be less satisfying?

Playing against the best players in this country?

Best stadiums?

Bigger crowds?

More chance of getting an international call up?

But he won"t play every week will he? That's the point.

He played for Ireland in the summer - so that comment is rubbish as well.

And for half the season he will be playing in from of fewer fans than season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here