Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Wall mount TV brackets

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Good morning all. I've woken up full of beans and sprightly this morning despite only a few hours sleep.

Due to my good mood I've decided to finally get the TV up on the wall.

When we had our rewire done I had the vision to get some high level power sockets and conduit installed in the walls to hide cables etc.

Now I just need the actual bracket.

What's the consensus on here on what mount to buy for a 50" TV?

I've seen some that look half decent at Argos with a tilt function but they're all very slim so there isn't enough room behind the TV when mounted to stow the annoying power pack block that these flat TV's come with now by the looks of it.

How did you get around that problem and what mounts did you use?

Here's my wall set up.......
PXL_20230525_091747497.jpg

PXL_20230525_091856571.jpg

The Kallax is going to be wall mounted too and used as a TV unit to hold the yet to be purchased sound bar and sky/Freeview boxes etc.

Any recommendations for a particular bracket?

Obviously I have to get this right first time as I have to drill into the fresh wallpaper🥺

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You expect people to want to talk about wall brackets after last night!?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
What is the wall? Plasterboard or Lathe & Plaster or solid? Also what weight is the TV? I have mounted a few of these and plasterboard is fine but best buy a large area bracket with lots of fixing holes and then use the metal type raw-plugs that when screwed in put a metal fixing behind the plasterboard.

main rule is not to scrimp here because if you do, at best the wall will be damaged and at worse the TV will fall and kill someone.

TNBA

TTF

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
What is the wall? Plasterboard or Lathe & Plaster or solid? Also what weight is the TV? I have mounted a few of these and plasterboard is fine but best buy a large area bracket with lots of fixing holes and then use the metal type raw-plugs that when screwed in put a metal fixing behind the plasterboard.

main rule is not to scrimp here because if you do, at best the wall will be damaged and at worse the TV will fall and kill someone.

TNBA

TTF
It's a breeze block wall. I'm going to use those metal fixings that when you tighten the bolt it compresses out to get a firm hold.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did you just move in and inherit the wallpaper?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I need to do this soon and just going to get a handyman in to sort this and a bunch of other small jobs around the place out. I simply know I will f*** it up and the TV will fall off the wall destroying it and the wall itself.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I have 2 TVs on the wall, both using a Sanus mount. Not only does it sound funny, but it also comes with templates and enough fixings for most walls and they do sound bar brackets too so that can be neatly integrated. For the power pack, I'd velcro it onto the back, looks like at the top of the TV there will be enough space to tuck it away.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Good morning all. I've woken up full of beans and sprightly this morning despite only a few hours sleep.

Due to my good mood I've decided to finally get the TV up on the wall.

When we had our rewire done I had the vision to get some high level power sockets and conduit installed in the walls to hide cables etc.

Now I just need the actual bracket.

What's the consensus on here on what mount to buy for a 50" TV?

I've seen some that look half decent at Argos with a tilt function but they're all very slim so there isn't enough room behind the TV when mounted to stow the annoying power pack block that these flat TV's come with now by the looks of it.

How did you get around that problem and what mounts did you use?

Here's my wall set up.......
View attachment 161334
View attachment 161335

The Kallax is going to be wall mounted too and used as a TV unit to hold the yet to be purchased sound bar and sky/Freeview boxes etc.

Any recommendations for a particular bracket?

Obviously I have to get this right first time as I have to drill into the fresh wallpaper🥺
I’d get an experienced electrician in , not worth the risk of the tv coming off the wall !

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Aways one🙄

You should have the state of it when we moved in. Previous owners painted the whole place yellow in 1972 and never did anything again.

Been a LOT of work to even get it to here.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have 2 TVs on the wall, both using a Sanus mount. Not only does it sound funny, but it also comes with templates and enough fixings for most walls and they do sound bar brackets too so that can be neatly integrated. For the power pack, I'd velcro it onto the back, looks like at the top of the TV there will be enough space to tuck it away.
I'm looking at those now. And I think you're right about the power pack.👍

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Be careful not to get one that fits flush to wall meaning there's no room to plug the TV in (speaking from experience!) So I got one that allows the TV to be pulled away from the wall so you can adjust accordingly to allow as much space as you need.

Also, not speaking from personal experience per se, but a friend did this, be careful with the TV when mounting it. They are very easy to damage and you don't want to be getting a new TV as well!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
The height you currently have it at is ergonomically perfect. Don't put it high up on the wall like many do.
Be careful not to get one that fits flush to wall meaning there's no room to plug the TV in (speaking from experience!) So I got one that allows the TV to be pulled away from the wall so you can adjust accordingly to allow as much space as you need.

Also, not speaking from personal experience per se, but a friend did this, be careful with the TV when mounting it. They are very easy to damage and you don't want to be getting a new TV as well!
The top of the TV is going to be level with the top sockets to cover them up. The Kallax is going on the wall with about a 6" gap to the floor.

I've bought some wall bolts so hoping everything goes smoothly.

And the mount I've bought has a tilt function so if the power pack doesn't fit behind I have some vertical tilt to squidge it in there.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I have a wall mount with a hinged extending arm that bolts to the TV so I can pull the TV away from the wall and also turn the screen left or right to facilitate a head-on view from any location in the room.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
@spongy - I don't have any advice on the wall brackets, but I do recall you battling to get your foot on the property ladder (plus dealing with various setbacks and issues in your work and personal life). It's nice to see you making progress on your home. You should be proud of what you've achieved.

Anyway, carry on with the bracketry.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Got a slightly more expensive ultra slim one from Hills for my 55 inch. It was a bit of a pain in the arse and had to buy a new right-angled power cable, but it's makes the tv look so much better than the cheaper mounts.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Didn't install it myself, but when I wanted my telly put on the wall I did quite a lot of research into finding the right bracket - I'd just spent a small fortune on my first OLED and really didn't want anything to go wrong.

Unless things have changed since then, the "gold standard" is a brand called Vogel's. They're expensive, but they won't let you down - or your telly. I'd recommend getting one that allows you to pull it out from the wall and turn it, because that *will* be useful at some point (but again, that adds to the cost). They're called "full motion" mounts in the business, it seems. Mine can actually come right out and round so the TV is at a 90-degree angle to the wall in either direction.

FWIW, I agree with what someone else said about mounting it too high. Ideally, your eyeline should be near the *top* of the screen when you're sitting upright, as you'll likely slouch a bit while actually using it. People tend to mount them really high, possibly because it was so trendy for a while to put them above the fireplace, and then wonder why they have a bunch of new neck and back problems.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
My only bit of advice is to give the right hand plant a teensy-weeny bit of Babybio, so it catches up with the left one. My OCD took a right-hook when I saw the bilateral symmetry breaking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here